Judge Declares File-Sharing Fine "Unconstitutional"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

A judge in the U.S. has reduced a $675,000 fine levied against a student convicted of file sharing by 90 percent, ruling that the original award was "unconstitutionally excessive."

Free stuff can be awfully expensive. Just ask Boston University student Joel Tenenbaum, who was clobbered with a $675,000 penalty last year for sharing 30 songs online. It may not sound like a concerted effort to bring the recording industry to its knees but the jury in the case awarded the maximum punishment anyway: $22,500 per song. Cha-ching.

U.S. District Court Judge Nancy Gertner, however, decided that figure went way over the line, calling it "unconstitutionally excessive." She cut it down to $67,500, just ten percent of the original award, which she acknowledged was still "severe, even harsh."

"It not only adequately compensates the plaintiffs for the relatively minor harm that Tenenbaum caused them; it sends a strong message that those who exploit peer-to-peer networks to unlawfully download and distribute copyrighted works run the risk of incurring substantial damages awards," she wrote in her decision (PDF format) [http://beckermanlegal.com/pdf/?file=/Lawyer_Copyright_Internet_Law/sony_tenenbaum_100709Decision.pdf]. "Tenenbaum's behavior, after all, was hardly exemplary. The jury found that he not only violated the law, but did so willfully."

"Reducing the jury's $675,000 award, however, also sends another no less important message: The Due Process Clause does not merely protect large corporations, like BMW and State Farm, from grossly excessive punitive awards," she added. "It also protects ordinary people like Joel Tenenbaum."

What happens next is anybody's guess. The Boston Globe [http://www.riaa.com/]. "But it's basically equally unpayable to me."

Tenenbaum's case was only the second to make it to federal court in the U.S.; the first and far more famous case of Jammie Thomas-Rasset ended with a judgment against her of $1.92 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92531-File-Sharing-Single-Mom-Loses-Again], an amount that was also later reduced, to $54,000. The RIAA offered to settle with Thomas-Rasset for $25,000 but she rejected the offer and the case is now about to make its third round through the courts.

via: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/judge-slams-riaa-675k-fine-ruled-unconstitutional-100709/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29]

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
That headline is misleading. It implies that the judge decided the defendant was not guilty, when in actuality the judge just thought he was fined too much.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
I agree with Marmooset. Also, fucking OUCH. I doubt I'd ever be able to pay back even the amount after the fine's reduction.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Even with the reduction thats alot of money...I know I wouldnt be able to do much with that.

Harsh...how about life destroying...and only 30 songs...

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I am with the student on the part of his 'equally unpayable'. If you are going to fine someone fine them at a price they can actually pay! Makes no sense otherwise. He did a bad thing, but ruining his life over it? Seems like a giant scapegoat they set up. How many songs did he download? I imagine many have downloaded the same amount, if not more.

EDIT: Saw above post, 30 songs!?!?!?!?! This kid was set up as an example, ridiculous.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I think the amount of money that the fine incurs should be based on the quality of the song, that way the RIAA wouldn't end up with any money, since the people the represent are usually awful drek.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
A welcome decision, but that is still excessive. The actual financial "harm" to the RIAA would be $0.99 per song, nothing more. Sorry if I lack any sort of compassion for the RIAA's immense loss of $30, I'm sure they could have really used those 3 pizzas, or 5 big macs, or whatever...

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
30 songs on Itunes is basically (at highest price per song being $1.25) is about $37.50 so his fine shouldn't be any more than $60.00, but as the first person to post said, the title was very misleading, I was about to go hunting for a good torrent of Dragonball

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
A welcome decision, but that is still excessive. The actual financial "harm" to the RIAA would be $0.99 per song, nothing more. Sorry if I lack any sort of compassion for the RIAA's immense loss of $30 in this court case, I'm sure they could have really used those 3 pizzas, or 5 big macs, or whatever...
I feel pretty much the same way. I can understand wanting to teach someone a lesson (they did break the law after all), but permanently ruining the lives of others because you lost $100 or so is flat-out evil.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Good thing file sharing is not against the law in my country. Here it's illegal to sell pirated material, not to obtain it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
thanks judge. still excessive. But better. Damn corporations can throw so much money into litigation to scapegoat one dude. bunch of ass hats!

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
What happens if he declares bankruptcy?

After seeing massive corporations and banks fold and people who had money in them loose everything it should be fine for a private person to do the same thing to the bastards, I could see maybe a $5000 or at most $10000 fine happening, but the better part of a hundred grand? get rooted.

Hitman Grant

Nov 23, 2009
It seems like this court case was to send a message to all other file-sharers, that something is 'happening'. But the way I see it is if that was the 2nd court case to go ahead over file sharing then you're pretty much safe. I know more people that DO file-share than don't.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
thethingthatlurks said:
A welcome decision, but that is still excessive. The actual financial "harm" to the RIAA would be $0.99 per song, nothing more. Sorry if I lack any sort of compassion for the RIAA's immense loss of $30 in this court case, I'm sure they could have really used those 3 pizzas, or 5 big macs, or whatever...
I feel pretty much the same way. I can understand wanting to teach someone a lesson (they did break the law after all), but permanently ruining the lives of others because you lost $100 or so is flat-out evil.
It might just be the only source of income the RIAA has left. It's not like the music industry is faring terribly well right now...
There was a South Park episode on this though, worth checking out imo.
As for teaching the kid a lesson, yes! Pirating is illegal, and they should have to pay the $30 back, but that's it. 'course, if you factor in attorney fees, that amount will grow exponentially. Stupid legal system...

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Jaredin said:
Even with the reduction thats alot of money...I know I wouldnt be able to do much with that.

Harsh...how about life destroying...and only 30 songs...
Plus the legal fees, probably close to what the fine was originally.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
It might just be the only source of income the RIAA has left. It's not like the music industry is faring terribly well right now...
As for teaching the kid a lesson, yes! Pirating is illegal, and they should have to pay the $30 back, but that's it. 'course, if you factor in attorney fees, that amount will grow exponentially. Stupid legal system...
Well actually, I believe the RIAA has such ridiculous fines because of the "potential downloaders." This guy was sharing the files, not just downloading them, so they're trying to squeeze as much money as they can for the potentially lost money.

It's bullshit and a half and greed of the highest level.

Hitman Grant

Nov 23, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Well actually, I believe the RIAA has such ridiculous fines because of the "potential downloaders." This guy was sharing the files, not just downloading them, so they're trying to squeeze as much money as they can for the potentially lost money.

It's bullshit and a half and greed of the highest level.
Baring in mind the fine also adds to times where you may not have been caught.

If you steal from 10 banks at $1M each, get arrested on the last time and only need to pay back the $1M because they couldn't pin you to the others... it's almost worth carrying on doing.

(Not saying I agree with the RIAA, but just see it from the other side also)

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Hitman Grant said:

If you steal from 10 banks at $1M each, get arrested on the last time and only need to pay back the $1M because they couldn't pin you to the others... it's almost worth carrying on doing.

I understand where they're coming from, but I still can't justify ruining the life of someone off of "potential losses."

Hitman Grant

Nov 23, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Hitman Grant said:

I understand where they're coming from, but I still can't justify ruining the life of someone off of "potential losses."
Agreed. (sorry not sure if posting one word answers is aloud but wanted to make sure people knew where I stood before leaving this topic).

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
Thank god. Finally a Judge with a bit of common sense and enough balls to act on it. Fine is still too much, but now it's something that person will one day be able to pay.