Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed Will Be as Big as GTA

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed Will Be as Big as GTA

Assassin's Creed [http://www.ubi.com] franchise will grow to be as big as Grand Theft Auto and Halo.

Having faith in your product is a good thing, but it's a little too easy sometimes to cross that fine line between optimism and delusion. Has Ubisoft's U.K. marketing chief Murray Pannell gone that far? You decide.

"I believe with the success of Assassin's 2 we have now got an opportunity to position ourselves as one of the true triple-A blockbusters," he told Halo [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/assassins-will-be-as-big-as-gta-ubi] and things of that nature? Possibly not at this point. But I think we are uniquely poised now as a property, as a franchise, to certainly consider ourselves one of the must-have games whenever a game launches on Assassin's Creed in the franchise."

"It's part of our role and responsibility to position it from a consumer point of view as one of those big blockbusters through decent marketing campaigns," he continued. "One thing we've been doing already is advertising Assassin's: Brotherhood on TV this summer, three or four months before launch. That only helps position it in consumers' minds as, 'This is a big game I need to consider as one of the true blockbuster franchises'."

There's no question that Assassin's Creed is an impressive success: Ubisoft announced that Assassin's Creed 2 had sold almost nine million copies as of the end of March 2010. But that same month, Take-Two Interactive [http://www.take2games.com/] revealed that Grand Theft Auto IV had punched out more than 15 million units worldwide. Of course, GTA4 came out a year and a half earlier, so the question becomes whether or not Assassin's Creed 2 has the legs to almost double its sales in its second year of release.

Pannell remains, well, optimistic. "To be honest, I'm not sure we're there yet," he said. "But I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get there at some point in the not-too-distant future. That's about longevity and building decent products, properly marketed, and getting the name out there."

In case you're wondering, yes, this is the same man who predicted last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/preview/101974] that 3D televisions would be "in everyone's living room" within three years. High hopes, it would seem, run strong in his veins.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
They're out of publicity or something? This is almost as ludicrous as their DRM debacle.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Well, I certainly do look forward to these games more then I do Halo, no denying that. I don't know if it will ever truly reach that particular level of popularity, though. I'm not sure AC has the same mass appeal as something like GTA.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
You mean it will grow to be as big and overblown as two franchises that get boring over time? Please, do go on.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Fightin' talk, certainly, but I think that the series will gain in popularity only so long as they keep the quality consistent.

I absolutely adored Assassin's Creed 2- being a history buff it gave me lots of swords to play with, but more than that it rooted the character firmly and squarely into a genuine time period which was well researched.

I'm biased, but if they manage to fix the clunky weird facial scanning of Desmond's girlfriend, then I think it'll turn out to one of the landmark franchises in time if they can keep this up. I don't think it'll be as big as GTA, but certainly it has a lot of potential.

I'm certainly going to be getting Brotherhood anway.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
the original was rubbish and so was this claim.
i won't comment on assassins creed two as i never played it.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
AssCreed as popular as GTA? Naw... Not as long as they have shitty DRM and release DLC to unlock a part of a story that in the main game you just skip past.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It's really not as ludicrous a thing to say as people are making it out to be.

They're shooting themselves in the foot with the DRM though; R* couldn't make a decent PC port if someone did it for them. AC was a pretty well done port on the other hand. Then there's the hideous problems that GTA IV suffered from, like a crap protagonist, hideous pacing, ugly graphics, and a character that handled like a sack of shit.

The only problem AC faces is that it's much more of a high-brow concept than GTA, and it hasn't been around for anywhere near as much time. There's also the issue with the sweeping story-arc, which GTA games aren't tied to.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Talk about aiming high...well, I wish them luck with it...but...I dont think so...

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Considering the improvement that Assassin's Creed 2 was over AC1, this seems quite possible. All they have to do is do that sort of trick another few times to make it truly amazing. Though I can't really say I'm all that supportive of their DRM and Brotherhood.... Multiplayer assassin's creed just seems weird.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
... You're doing it again Murray, arn't you? [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TemptingFate]

We talk about this, you can't make impossible promises!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
C'mon, it came from the mouth of the same man who predicted that everyone will have 3D Tv's in a couple of years (2010 and I'm still waiting for my HD TV) who works for the same company with the most infamous DRM in existance who applied that same DRM to that same franchise. I don't see it, by any stretch of imagination, as big as Halo and GTA. Ever.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Well... it COULD BE, but we'll never know because we can only play for 5 minutes at a time until Ubisoft feels that they're servers need to take a nap.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
when developers get cocky bad things happen.
*cough* *cough* Modern Warfare 2 *cough* *cough*