Heavy Rain Dev Has Two New Games in the Works

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Heavy Rain Dev Has Two New Games in the Works

Quantic Dream has revealed it's working on two new games, both of which are going to be "very different" from Heavy Rain.
You have to hand it to Quantic Dream: The studio can never be accused of lacking ambition. Now that Heavy Rain has been released, the developer has revealed that it's got two new projects underway.

David Cage, the head of Quantic Dream, recently gave an interview to Examiner that largely talked about the storytelling goals and challenges of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279046065&sr=1-1>Heavy Rain. However, towards the end of the interview, Cage talked about what is next on his company's docket.

"We currently work on two very different projects," Cage said. "After the success of Heavy Rain, we continue to explore how we can go further with interactive drama, working on emotion and interactive storytelling for a mature audience, but with a very different story and a different approach. I think that people who enjoyed Heavy Rain will be surprised by what we prepare."

Exactly what games Quantic Dream is working on have yet to be revealed, but many fans have been hoping for a sequel to Farhrenheit (known as Indigo Prophecy here in the States) or Omikron. However, from the sound of things, it seems that the studio is working on something completely new.

"After Heavy Rain," said Cage, "we have some credibility in experimenting with new IPs and new concepts. We are not going to play it safe from now, we are going to use this credibility to continue to take risks, give ourselves exciting challenges and try to invent new ways of playing. I believe that this is what Quantic Dream's fans expect us to do."

Seeing as how Heavy Rain was given a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101529-E3-2010-Heavy-Rain-Gets-a-Move-Makeover>"Move Makeover" that incorporated motion controls, it wouldn't be surprising to see these projects use similar interfaces, especially now that Kinect is coming to the Xbox.

Source: <a href=http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-33076-PlayStation-Examiner~y2010m7d12-Heavy-Rain-Interview-with-David-Cage-Page-Three>Examiner via <a href=http://gamernode.com/news/9315-quantic-dream-working-on-two-new-projects/index.html>GamerNode

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least they are not afraid to branch out and try something different! I liked Heavy Rain so I hope the over IPs they have will be just as exciting!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
So, about that DLC Quantic Dream...

Yes, I know they said there probably wouldn't be any more, but there should be. It can't be "Chonicles" without many of them.

OT: Good for them, I guess. Good to hear they are taking more risks.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I?m glad to hear that they?re going to keep experimenting with different kinds of games. Especially since most of the games this gen have been from tried and true formulas. But to tell you the truth I didn?t find Heavy Rain revolutionary at all. I hope their next game is a bit more unique and has more of an intuitive control scheme. In the end I just found HR to be the QTE collection they insisted it wasn?t.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Even if you didn't like Heavy Rain (and I damn well loved it) you gotta admire their drive and ambition. Too many companies like to minimize risk and pump out repetitive drivel, I'm glad someone like Quantic Dream is out there willing to tread uncharted waters.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
AC10 said:
Even if you didn't like Heavy Rain (and I damn well loved it) you gotta admire their drive and ambition. Too many companies like to minimize risk and pump out repetitive drivel, I'm glad someone like Quantic Dream is out there willing to tread uncharted waters.
Well it's hardly uncharted waters, Fahrenheit came out like 5 years ago (but don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved that game).

For a second, I thought they meant completely different as in different genre (mechanics and all) and I got a little worried. But it looks like they aren't trading in experience just so it can be "completely" different from Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
AC10 said:
Well it's hardly uncharted waters, Fahrenheit came out like 5 years ago (but don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved that game).

For a second, I thought they meant completely different as in different genre (mechanics and all) and I got a little worried. But it looks like they aren't trading in experience just so it can be "completely" different from Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain.
I know, I played and loved Fahrenheit but I'm referring to their future plans to branch out to what seems to be new forms of interactive drama.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AC10 said:
This is exactly why I love Quantic Dream, they really are trying to explore the different possibilities that games can drive for. That and it helps that Heavy Rain itself, despite it's flaws, was a pretty damn good game (to me anyway).

I am eagerly anticipating what Quantic Dream has in store for us. Along with Media Molecule, I would love to support whatever it is that they create. They deserve it.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Heavy Rain was an amazing game, I have never felt such a connection with the characters before, I was really emotionally touched by it. I have played a ton of games since I was 5 years old but never anything like Heavy Rain.

I think it was a combination of excellent writing, voice acting, animation and the control scheme which did the trick, I was particularly impressed with the controls, and sometimes when I look at things in my room, I think of what PS3 controller input you would use in Heavy Rain to interact with it.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
"Jason! Jason! Jason!"
"Shaaaaawn! Shaaaaaaawn!"

OT: I loved Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, plot holes aside. Quantic Dream has shown that it's willing to take risks and develop whatever they feel like making, as long as they do it well. I'm excited to see what they have next.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm happy that they're aiming to be experimental in their game design, and less derivative, but I'm unhappy that they've already started on two new games when they promised a ton of DLC for Heavy Rain but failed to deliver. To be honest, I haven't actually played, let alone bought, Heavy Rain, so it might seem like I'm speaking out of turn here, but I have little faith in a developer that has a history of failing to live up to their promises. True, missing out of same DLC for one game hardly seems to constitute a history, but if they continue to make idle promises, I'll have no choice but to take whatever they say with a grain, a handful or a truckload of salt.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Omikron 2? Please? Please?
But, seriously, I have to play this. Whatever it is. If it incorporates motion controls, I'm bying it. If it involves Move, I'm bying Move.
Still, would you mind continuing the Chronicles?
Captain Pancake said:
That image brings bad memories of terrible, terrible voice acting.

"Jason! Jason! Jason!"
Must... resist... urge to argue.