Sony Not Threatened By Grand Theft Auto DLC on Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Not Threatened By Grand Theft Auto DLC on Xbox 360

Xbox 360 [http://www.us.playstation.com/].

GameDaily [http://www.microsoft.com], however, Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, doesn't think the potential for extra content gives Microsoft a significant advantage.

"(Microsoft) spent the GNP of several small Latin American countries to get that (content), and if you've ever played San Andreas [http://www.rockstargames.com/sanandreas/]... there's a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto and there's going to be a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto IV to the point where I think most people will have that Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS3, day and date, same core game shipping on the 360."

Steinberg also suggested that Sony could effectively counter Microsoft's downloadable content with its own releases of entirely new games. "Perhaps they'll be shipping some episodic content in the fall, but there is a whole lot of product shipping on the PS3 in April and I personally don't think there's going to be a huge percentage of folks who jump into downloadable content for another price when they're still playing the core product," he said.

"So while I do think having that brand on their system was a move for them which they felt they needed to make because they cut a big check for it," he continued, "I think PlayStation fans know the Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS2 is how they grew up playing Grand Theft Auto, and when you combine GTA IV with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue [http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/en/], all the exclusive content that we've got going forward, I think that goes from tipping point to shoving point for consumers who are on the fence, wondering what platform should I buy."

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Ofcourse he's got to say he's not threatened, probably company policy or something, he's not going to say;

"360 version will be a lot better, I doubt we're going to sell anything"

TheLostSkeleton

Aug 27, 2007
A major corporation downplaying an advantage their competition has, while simultaneously reminding us how awesome they are?

I'm totally shocked by this turn of events!

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
*fingers in ears* "LALALALALALA we can't hear you talk about download content"

Good ol' Sony, just ignore the problem and it'll go away....

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I hope that extra content bombs. Not because I dislike microsoft (although I do), but because I don't like people encouraging companies to pick the berries out of the cake and sell them back to you : P

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think Sony has a valid point. I put a lot of hours into San Andreas and never came close to finishing it. I'd still love to go back and carry on with it, but I can't imagine wanting more of it via DLC. It's wholly unnecessary, there's already more than enough gameplay in the thing, and unless Rockstar cheesed out with IV (which I very much doubt) I really don't see too many gamers blowing through the entirety of the regular release and coming back for more.

In a broader sense, Dectilon also makes a good point. How do we tell when we're paying extra for bonus stuff, and paying extra for stuff that should've been there in the first place?

TheLostSkeleton

Aug 27, 2007
Malygris said:
I think Sony has a valid point. I put a lot of hours into San Andreas and never came close to finishing it. I'd still love to go back and carry on with it, but I can't imagine wanting more of it via DLC. It's wholly unnecessary, there's already more than enough gameplay in the thing, and unless Rockstar cheesed out with IV (which I very much doubt) I really don't see too many gamers blowing through the entirety of the regular release and coming back for more.

In a broader sense, Dectilon also makes a good point. How do we tell when we're paying extra for bonus stuff, and paying extra for stuff that should've been there in the first place?
Well, leaked images of the map show a pretty big game. The leaked list of achievements suggests a lot, too.

And more is always better, in this regard. Rumors paint the GTA4DLC as "like jumping from GTA3 to GTAVC" in terms of new terrain and new things to do.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
I think from the moment you let fans download stuff, it will start a mechanic which could largely pull in more GTA fans.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
all this Extra DLC is a fukin con
whatever happened to releasing a game, and calling it done?
plus th sony guy's right, the game will last way longer than what most people wil be willing to play

i mean lets face it, theres only so much jakin cars n runnin over hookers a person can do before they get bored. at this point, people get mgs4, coz itll waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. THATS where sony have the advantage

Unknown671

May 14, 2008
Pfft, We don't need no downloadable content. So stop throwing it in our faces, 360 fans, because you epically fail.

freetogoodhome

Mar 2, 2008
I'm currently on the fence with what console I should buy GTA IV for. On the one hand theres DLC for the xbox. However most of my friends own ps3's only.

Probably going to go for the 360 as I have an annoyingly bad habit of finishing the main missions incredibly quickly.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Good lord. Can we avoid a console fight please? Especially you new guys! *hairy eyeball*

And finishing content quickly would mean he wants more content soon, i.e. content downloads.

I dunno, it depends pretty much entirely on what Rockstar release, dunnit? Sony is being a tad sour grapes over microsoft having a new toy, but unless Rockstar really release some cool stuff that's gonna have widespread across-the-board downloads, it could really backfire on them.