PC Zone Closing After 17 Years

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
PC Zone Closing After 17 Years

It's the end of an era for Future Publishing, which has decided to shut down PC Zone.

After 225 issues, Future Publishing's PC Zone magazine is shutting down. The publication, which launched in 1993 and was purchased by Future Publishing in 2004, is being shuttered by its parent company for vague reasons, citing a "strategic review" as the driving rationale.

"Yes, it's true," the UK-based magazine revealed <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255806>on its blog. Following a strategic review of Future's PC games portfolio, the company is now consulting the PC Zone team about the proposed closure of the magazine, with effect from issue 225 (on-sale 2nd September).

"That's all we can say for now. But rest assured: If 225 does turn out to be PC Zone's final issue, we're going to break ourselves to make it a bloody brilliant finale to 17 years and 5 months of the best PC gaming magazine the world's ever seen."

From PC Zone's phrasing, it sounds like there's a small chance the magazine might not get closed completely, but it also doesn't seem like anyone really expects this to happen. The magazine's closure marks the end of a long-running name for videogame journalism, which is always a little sad to hear about.

While PC Zone may be closing, it seems that sister magazines Computer and Video Games and PC Gamer are still going strong, since no similar announcements have been made by Future.

Source: <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255806>PC Zone via <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255814?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS>CVG

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It's a shame - but I think if it were PC Gamer closing I'd cut out my eyes.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Expect this to happen a lot, print media can't compete with the cost and convenience of online information.

The ipad and upcoming tablets will be the final nails in the coffin.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Woodsey said:
It's a shame - but I think if it were PC Gamer closing I'd cut out my eyes.
Agreed.

I bought an issue of PCZone once. I found it a little too negative with the whole "ZOMG, PC gaming is dying" compared to other magazines.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
what?!?!? i love that magazine! why their closing, i cant quit understand, and why cant they just keep going, their brilliant in humor and openess. damn thats gonna be a sad day....and the day before dead rising 2 is comeing out? if its becouse pc is ''dying'' wich i cant see why it should, then its pretty unfair for a such a great mag to close becouse of it

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This isn't really surprising. Printed media is, for better or worse, being phased out.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I used to read this regularly. Pretty good magazine. Always sad to see a magazine close shop.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Since PC Format, and PC Gamer are the better magazines to read anyway, I'm not surprised, it was just a matter of time.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I found PC Gamer to be far superior to PC zone, but is still a sad day for such a long running publication. One of many closures, online is screwing prin media

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
(Hugs Retro Gamer magazine.) Shhh... shh... you'll be okay. It doesn't mean it's going to happen to you. (Rocks back and forth.)

Man, this depresses me. I can appreciate the concept of print media not keeping up with faster and more frequent new media, but it's just so sad to see such institutions just go away.:(

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
I used to read this religiously, about 10 years ago. Its hard to justify paying 10 euro for a magazine now though, considering what you can get what you need online for free. Pity, because the net isnt quite the same.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Jon. 'Log'. Blyth. Hire the man.

Sad to see PC Zone go, always gave me a laugh, and knew how to balance humor with serious reviewage. It and the Staff will be missed. :(

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Shame, I hate to see any journalistic outlet close, especially one about videogames, and especially especially one about PC videogames!

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
GothmogII said:
Jon. 'Log'. Blyth. Hire the man.

Sad to see PC Zone go, always gave me a laugh, and knew how to balance humor with serious reviewage. It and the Staff will be missed. :(
the staff for the most, their the one makeing it...

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Very sad to see more print magazines dying, but hopefully the staff will be able to continue their work at other places.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
AC10 said:
This isn't really surprising. Printed media is, for better or worse, being phased out.
Yep, while this may be a good development for news media, magazines will suffer for it. A shame really, though I must admit I've never read PC Zone...