Rumor: Red Dead Redemption Dev Lets 40 Staff Go

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Red Dead Redemption Dev Lets 40 Staff Go

Rockstar San Diego is realigning its resources right now, and sources say this means a "significant" number of job cuts.

Red Dead Redemption [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dead-Redemption-Xbox-360/dp/B001SH7YMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279196820&sr=8-1-spell] was a huge success when it was released back in May, selling over 1.5 million copies in its first month alone. But now that the game is done, it would seem that Rockstar San Diego doesn't need quite so many people, and sources close to the developer say it has let around 40 people go.

The exact number of jobs lost is currently still just rumor, but Rockstar San Diego admits that it is "realigning" its resources as the studio shifts focus from making the game itself to creating DLC. In a statement, Steve Martin, Studio Manager at Rockstar San Diego, said that it was not unusual for team sizes to "fluctuate" over the development cycle and that those affected were being treated with care.

Martin also added that the studio was working on other projects as well as Red Dead Redemption DLC, but said that at present he had nothing to say about a sequel.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5587413/rumor-rockstar-lays-off-40-from-red-dead-redemption-team]

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
I'd rather a prequel to the Red Dead story, where we get to see Marston with Dutch's Gang.
Or a sequel where it (warning: end of the game spoiler)
starts in the barn scene and Marston kills them all, instead of getting "Platoon-ed"
and how things would've gone on from there because
he would then be hunted by more officials etc and have to go into hiding and such

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Y don't we ever hear that a Studio is HIRING 40 new devs? guess thats not sensational news :p

edit: aware that there are instances where there is news of studio expansion just dont have any precedence to site and kinda deflates my troll'esque statement above XD

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
Y don't we ever hear that a Studio is HIRING 40 new devs? guess thats not sensational news :p
Well, we sometimes get to hear about Activision trying to revive Infinity Ward.

I guess that's something.

OT: And suddenly there's a new reason to hate DLC. Or rather, there will be if it turns out that developers are actually getting fired because of it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats never good...feels like now they have something epic, they dont need what they had before..which is kinda sad...

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Stickem said:
UberMore said:
I'd rather a prequel to the Red Dead story, where we get to see Marston with Dutch's Gang.
Or a sequel where it (warning: end of the game spoiler)
starts in the barn scene and Marston kills them all, instead of getting "Platoon-ed"
and how things would've gone on from there because
he would then be hunted by more officials etc and have to go into hiding and such
Couldn't you just
play as Jack? I mean, he did kill Ross so people would be after him.
Yeah, but
Jack is annoying, went against his father's wishes and DOES NOT RESPECT THE HORSES!!!! Also, his voice isn't as cool and his motives are terrible; he was fighting for revenge, John was fighting for freedom and redemption.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
As long as Rockstar keep on doing what they do best (basically what they're currently doing) then I'm happy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
We did see this one coming. Ever since that letter from the wives of R* SD employees explaining how they?re overworked and underpaid.
I knew from that point that there would be mass firings after launch. That game apparently cost a fortune to make.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Hey congrats, you guys busted your asses to make a hit aaaaaannnddddd you're fired because WE need more money.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Geee... do you think they might of had a load of testers they don't need any more?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Why are game workers a bunch of whiners. You know if a studio takes a bloated staff that they will be layoffs at the end of the project. Hell they are lucky, most in the movie industry have to suck it because at the end of a movie project everyone is let go. You have to make the money last sometimes 3-6 months between jobs.