Watch Pokemon's Pointless Video Chat in Action

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Watch Pokemon's Pointless Video Chat in Action

Seeing Pokemon Black & White's local four-way video chat in action doesn't make it look any less useless.

Earlier this week, we learned about some cool new features [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102042-Pokemon-Black-White-Adds-Most-Pointless-Video-Chat-Ever] to be included in the upcoming Pokemon Black & White, like a video chat mode that lets you use the DSi's camera and Wi-Fi connection to speak with your friends face-to-face (theoretically) anywhere in the world.

The video chat also has a four-way group chat mode, it was announced - but we learned that this would only be available over the DS' local wireless connection. You know, the local wireless connection with a range of about ~30 feet on a good day. So, this four-way video chat requires all four participants to effectively be within the same room in order for it to work.

It's almost impressive, in a stunningly vestigial sort of way.

Above (from about 0:40 onwards), you can see the four-way chat in action on one of those crazy Japanese Pokemon TV shows, and just as we suspected, it's rather silly. Now, don't get me wrong - I think that from a technical standpoint, it's actually pretty neat. With a beefier Wi-Fi network and more powerful hardware, this sort of thing could be a very impressive feature down the line. Think about full group video chat combined with something like Xbox Live's party system - that sounds like it'd be a good idea, right?

But in its current form? While there may be something hilarious about four people chatting over their DSes while well within range to look up and just speak to each other normally, I think our initial predictions were right on the money. "Stunningly pointless," indeed.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255848])

Jul 22, 2009
The only places I can see a use for this is on some form of transport... say a school trip to France or the like?

On coach or on plane people who are sitting apart can use it.

It's still largely pointless and I have difficulty thinking of any other scenario where it would be of use.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
I would have been paying more attention to the new voice chat system if I wasnt going "What the FUCK is that guy wearing!"

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
I'm reminded of the old trick of running a string through two cups and sliding one around a doorway so you can hear the person on the other side of the wall.

But that was so cool back in the day... Mostly because of the "I can hear you but you're over there!" factor... Can DSs' even go through walls for a local connection?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
what it makes sense if you have bros and sis' all in different rooms XD that mite work. so instead doing the non-lazy human thing and walk to their room, u can just talk to each other this way XD

Jul 22, 2009
OctalLord said:
I'm reminded of the old trick of running a string through two cups and sliding one around a doorway so you can hear the person on the other side of the wall.

But that was so cool back in the day... Mostly because of the "I can hear you but you're over there!" factor... Can DSs' even go through walls for a local connection?
Yes, it works like a radio or any other wifi connection, it can work through walls but every wall it goes through lowers the quality and range.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
You can chat from one prison cell to the next!

No more talking through the wall!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Damn I love those people, is this the same programme where lots of the pokemon information is coming from?

If I could find a place to watch it with a translation underneath i'd certainly watch such an insane show.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
1) Wtf is that show, and why is it always pushing Pokemon to what I'm assuming is its child audience (well hoping to zombie Jesus its a child audience but with Japan you never know)

2)Stunningly pointless indeed, unless you and your friends want to spend a rip roaring time drawing dicks on each others faces which I can almost guarantee is what this feature will be used for.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
2)Stunningly pointless indeed, unless you and your friends want to spend a rip roaring time drawing dicks on each others faces which I can almost guarantee is what this feature will be used for.
I was thinking this but then again you won't have to draw them because i bet they'll be the things you see on the screen.

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
meh, i dont even have dsi so I wouldnt use it anyway.

But the graphics in the game look slightly ridiculous. was the character walking in a CIRCULAR MOTION???? completely out of the question in a pokemon game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Yeah...pretty pointless. Nice, but really not much need for it...

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
What I don't understand is why is this a Black/White specific feature, and not built into the DSi? I mean it'd still be lamesauce but at least then Game Freak would spend more time on... y'know, makin' Pokeymanz.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I like how this is considered news yet the dozens of new pokemon we've seen aren't XD

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I would criticize GameFreak for such a useless waste of time, but then Id have to do so for the Union Room feature as well. And "Wireless Trade" in FireRed/LeafGreen. And the Pokemon following you in HG/SS.

Truth be told, they make shitloads of useless things for the Pokemon games, thats like, a staple of the series. They still get me to buy the games, they still entertain me. So whatever. Less fodder and more POKEMANS.

rpspartin

Aug 4, 2009
Um.... I think i am the only one that is noticing the area where they chose the connection type and it has the following wifi wireless and "IR"... So are we going to get another type of pokewalker or what is the ir going to be used for ?