Sega Cancels AvP Console Patches

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega Cancels AvP Console Patches

Fans are up in arms over a recent announcement by Sega that planned updates for the console versions of Aliens vs. Predator [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-vs-Predator-Xbox-360/dp/B001TOQ8MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279212368&sr=1-1] that would have brought some much-needed multiplayer fixes to the game have been canceled.

Rebellion's Aliens vs. Predator hasn't exactly been burning up the charts since it was released in February, with lackluster Sega [http://www.metacritic.com/search/process?sort=relevance&termtype=all&ts=aliens+vs+predator&ty=3&button=search] appears to be abandoning ship on the game; barely a week after the release of the Bughunt Map Pack DLC, a message posted by a Sega forum administrator claims that plans for future updates to the console versions of the game have been killed.

"I've just received a mail this AM regarding patches for the console versions of AVP and I regret to inform everyone that these have sadly been scrapped," the admin, using the name "Clumsyorchid," wrote [http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=334286]. "I had previously made a claim that these were coming and at the time, this was very much on the table. For the console community, I apologize, as I know there are many features and updates that you'd like to see. I'll keep fighting internally for this to happen, but until I hear otherwise, there will not be a console patch for either Xbox or PS3."

The reaction, as you might expect, hasn't been entirely positive. The console versions are apparently plagued by numerous multiplayer issues, including excessively long wait times to access ranked matches, the need to play ranked games in order to level up and unlock content, incorrectly applied XP and problems with team balancing.

Making matters worse in the eyes of some is the fact that the PC version of the game has already been patched to a vastly improved state and similar fixes for consoles had been promised. Furthermore, Clumsyorchid said in a later post that only the console updates were confirmed as killed, suggesting that support for the PC version may continue. "I have heard nothing on PC patches and would not assume there will be any changes unless stated otherwise," he wrote.

Shortly after the launch of Aliens vs. Predator, Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley said he was "delighted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98531-Aliens-Vs-Predator-Studio-Complains-About-3-Bad-Reviews]" with the game's performance on the U.K. sales charts and claimed to be in discussions with Sega about a sequel. I think it's safe to say at this point that the likelihood of a follow-up has been reduced somewhat.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
The game wasn't good so we didn't get good sales. And because it didn't get good sales we are not going to patch it to make it better. I see an endless loop...

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
They have really fucked up this game havn't they, i was hopeing that AVP would bring back the old fun i had when i was young but with its lack of a server list this game has lost-out on being a good game. I'm glad i have the PC version(I think)

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Ok, now I'm mad.

I actually loved AVP's multiplayer, but I really wished that they patched up the bugs and issues. Now that its canceled I'll have to go back and wait five minutes just to find a match that will just end up as a 3 on 1 match.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Its a terrible game anyway, even if they fixed the multiplayer, there would be noone on the servers to play with.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Because not fixxing a buggy game is a sure fire way to get positive publicity for a mediocre game...

Seriously, stuff like this pisses me off. Its a matter of courtesy: we invested money into your product, dont sell us something thats half broken. And if its half broken, FIX IT. Thats how you keep credibility... Seeing as how this is Sega though... *glares at every sonic game since 3* Not suprising...

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
TEAM CONSUMER CONFIDENCE HO!

Whoever took the decision to this is an utter cretin who deserves mutilation with a wrench. I say this as a PC gamer who hated AvP, and as a student at a business college.

Mainly as the latter though.

Dr Bob

Mar 17, 2010
Moronic developers release moronic game and then release DLC instead of patching it.

To think, one developer thought this game could get GOTY.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Khaiseri said:
Mmmm, but didn't the console version sold out more than the PC? But whatever...
Yeah but a console patch costs alot of money because you have to pay microsoft and sony to verify it etc.
Thats why pc games pretty much always get more and smaller patches.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
GiantRedButton said:
Khaiseri said:
Mmmm, but didn't the console version sold out more than the PC? But whatever...
Yeah but a console patch costs alot of money because you have to pay microsoft and sony to verify it etc.
Thats why pc games pretty much always get more and smaller patches.
Seriously? I didn't knew that. So another advantage of the PC over consoles, but I feel somewhat sorry for the console people who did enjoyed this game.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Not clever, Sega. Not clever. You stated a few years back somewhere you were focusing on being the 'biggest games publisher in the world' but that's never going to happen if you treat your paying customers like this.

Anyway, I thought the multiplayer was fun. Guess I was in the minority.

RoboGeek

Apr 3, 2010
Charcharo said:
but just like GSC and Valve
i hate to call you out on this cause the stalker series is properly one of my favourite game series of all time but GSC dont really fix their games to a state comparable to valves, they still have problems and such that are usually left for the community to fix. but of course the circumstances of valve and GSC are quite diffrent.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I recall them doing the exact same thing with Chromehounds (or was it another game? Correct me if I'm wrong). Then they pulled the plug on its multiplayer. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega killed this game the same way.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
Still waiting on Colonial Marines here! Sega if you're gonna hold Gearbox back forever and ever AT LEAST let WayForward release the DS version which looks pretty good n ready.