Rate Green Lantern's Film Costume

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rate Green Lantern's Film Costume

The first costume reveal from Green Lantern is here, and it's probably different than you expected it to be.

Warner Bros. and DC Comics have been teasing comic fans for a while, with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101012-Heres-Your-Cheat-Sheet-for-the-Green-Lantern-Movie>details slowly emerging about the upcoming Green Lantern movie. Up until now, fans haven't been able to see how the costume would look on Ryan Reynolds because it's going to be largely computer-generated. The upcoming issue of Entertainment Weekly reveals the costume, which is certainly different from how it looks in the comics.

There are similarities between this outfit and the one sported in print &mdash the chest symbol, the ring, and the mask &mdash but this is still fairly original. The issue of Entertainment Weekly is due out tomorrow, and presumably the costume design will be just one of several elements discussed in the article.

What will be interesting to see to see is how Sinestro and Parallax look, as well as the rest of the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern_Corps>Green Lantern Corps. No two members of the Corps sport the exact same look, but they generally keep a similar uniform motif, meaning there could be some crazy character designs. If <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_T._Chance>Jack Chance gets a cameo and appears as he did in the comics, my inner comic nerd will be satisfied.

It's certainly not unusual for a superhero's costume to get an overhaul when it hits the big screen, but I'm not convinced this was the right direction. What say you about the costume: On Target or Off Track?

Source: <a href=http://blastr.com/2010/07/first-look-at-ryan-reynol.php>Blastr

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
It looks alright, I suppose.
Although, it doesn't look as much like a Green Lantern suit as much as it looks like his skin is glowing green.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Personally I think it looks fine although I'm not actually a fan of the Green Lantern comics, I just kind of know he exists and thats it.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I'm still not too fond of the costume. I don't see why they couldn't have gone witha traditional, tangible costume. Plus, why is his mask painted on?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Not being a comics fan I think it looks ok, but it goes down all the way like that? if that's the case then i dont like it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Very intresting costume...looks like a nuclear reactor in his chest or something...

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
It makes sense I suppose, what with it being alien tech and all, but really? That's what they're going with?

What was wrong with going withe something like this?

I think that would have looked fine on screen.

MasterSteef

Mar 3, 2010
As a fan of Green Lantern since the "Rebirth" storyline I am all for overhauls and changes to costumes and such "when necessary" but I find the movie costume to be a little off. There is no signature white or black in the costume (at least from what I can see) but I do like how the costume glows in between the muscle like pattern. And on another note, I think the whole white/green eyes is...interesting?

Overall though I think I'll wait to see it in motion before I label it "Shitty" or "Great". :)

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Looks good to me. The thing to remember is that the costume is created via the ring, I'd say that it makes sense to make something simple and fairly form fitting instead of an elaborate regular costume.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Why, whenever there is a comic-superhero-to-movie adaption, do people get so... er... opinionated about the costume?

WallyWest

Nov 19, 2009
I'm really on the fence about the costume. On the one hand it looks decent and I cut comic book movies a bit of slack for Hollywooding up some costumes. But Green Lantern's costume shouldn't have been that much of a problem and I really don't think they should have strayed as far as they seem to have with this choice.

Still though, the costume looks decent and I hold out hope that the movie will be good; but vansau brought up a good point about the other costumes for the Corps members. Though I have doubts that each costume will have the minor changes they do in the comic, I can still hope like all hell they'll include such minor awesome touches like that. And yeah, a cameo of Jack T. Chance would be AWESOME; I could probably forgive flaws if they did something wicked like that.

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
It doesn't look like a Green Lantern Uniform. The black and white made stark contrasts to make the green stand out, despite the sci-fi trappings, this is fairly boring to me. It has very few interesting things about it, and the mask is far too angular, especially around the nose (it should be shorter on the nose, only covering the bridge, otherwise it looks too much like a beak). I like the idea of the "nano-wire", for lack of a better term, lines, but I wish there was some variety to the suit.