Stolen Pixels #212: BUY THIS NOW!

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #212: BUY THIS NOW!

Shamus thinks Stolen Pixels could stand to be more like Alan Wake.

Read Full Article

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Heh, now they wish they released on PC. All the hype was in the damn PC mags, the console mags followed it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"What happened?" It just wasn't much good. That's what happened.

I borrowed a friend's copy. I barely managed to drag myself through the campaign.

MazzaTheFirst

Jul 1, 2009
Actually I didn't even know about this game until it was actually released. So when I did finally hear about it I was sort of in the 'Huh.... righto' mind set. That being said I have never played it and not really interested in it either.

Is product placement really that jarring though? Like I haven't played to many games with it but when I do see it I just accept it as part of the scenery. I mean you see these advertisements and products in real life so wouldn't it be logical they'd show in the game as well if it attempt to be realistic? Or is it a REALLY obvious eyesore such as you see twenty repeats of a product in the space of five minutes? (Haven't played the game so I can't judge how it is.)

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Hm, I didn't see that when I was playing through the game. Maybe it's not in the European version?
Product placement is evil though.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
If anticipation was the best part, then maybe it's a good thing we didn't get Duke Nukem Forever. Just think how average that would have been.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Whats worse is the energiser batteries, all the batteries are energiser and they even have the same packaging as the proper ones.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ohhh. That last pane burns! lol. And true...quite a bit of placement..

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
As far as product placement in games go, this game was quite subtle. I noticed a few things, like a quick flash that his phone was Verizon, or his batteries were Energizer, and "SYNC" on the dashboard of his car. But they're part of the environment. It's not shoved in your face like say, Bionic Commando with Pepsi.

In this game it's subtle, quick, and part of the environment. But I've only finished the first 3 chapters, so it might get worse later on. Oh, and if you haven't bought this game, please DO IT NOW! Great action game. Really glad I bought it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I don't understand why some people hate it. Looking at the youtube users comments on that tv advert makes it seem like the advert is forcing them to spent money, therefore they shouldn't pay the full price for the game.

WTF XD

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Product Placement in Alan Wake made sense, and they never came right out and said "Hey look ENERGIZER BATTERIES, those are LONG LASTING and should really help me in this BATTERY IMPORTANT situation!" They just made the batteries real world batteries instead of having them be brand-less or made up.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hehe, I loved it. It was like "hmm, Alan Wake, product placement... alright, where's this going?" and then suddenly BOOM!! Wham blam, out of nowhere, Shamus hits them with the ol' "took them 10 years and noone played it" bombshell! Never saw it coming. :)

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
All advertising is evil and product placement is probably a lesser degree of evil than "shotgun" broadcast advertising which is less evil than any kind of direct marketing.

Were I dictator I would have three laws:

1. advertising may not make any claim that has not been objectively tested and proven
2. advertising may not make any subconscious appeals
3. there is not allowed to be any advertising where people can't avoid it and live a "normal" life. This includes spam, billboards, telemarketing, and junk mail.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
I bought it, was eager to have fun and enjoy it, didn't have fun in spite of really wanting to like it, and traded it in to Gamestop.

I probably would have kept it if it had less predictable combat and more gameplay OUTSIDE OF THE DAMN FOREST. Seriously, I'd literally be thinking "yay, we're out of the forest, and--wait, what is this cutscene doing? They're skipping ahead, and... oh no. No no no I just worked my ass off to get out of there, give me something new, you--DAMMIT!"

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
I bought it. I enjoyed it. I finished it in a weekend and moved on. Actually it was the perfect length for a working gamer. Also I had friends who watched me play it. It was a very good spectator game. So perhaps that is why it didn't sell well. I'm waiting for the DLC. It is definitely one of the games I'll be buying more story for.