Magical Skate Video Created When 8-Bit and Real Life Collide

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Magical Skate Video Created When 8-Bit and Real Life Collide

Have you ever wondered what snowboarding would be like if videogames were real? Neither have we, but it looks jaw-dropping.

OK, show of hands: Who here remembers that Futurama short from the "Anthology of Interest" episode where <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_of_Interest_II#Raiders_of_the_Lost_Arcade>Fry asks what life would be like if it were more like a videogame? You know, the one where he almost saves the world in a real-life version of Space Invaders? This video feels like a live-action version of that.

Titled "Gnarcade", the movie shows a number of skaters and snowboarders making their way through environments that are under siege by classic videogame characters. The dinosaur from Bubble Bobble, a huge pixelated flying saucer from Space Invaders, the ghosts from Pac-Man, and various Mario Bros. villains are just a few of the characters on display. There's even a great sequence involving <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Xbox-360/dp/B000R0PLK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279218394&sr=8-1>Portal's core gameplay.

The movie was created by Ground Up Sounds. What makes Knife Show unique is that it was clearly founded by a bunch of nerds who use their passion to create skate videos unlike anything I've ever seen. The group's official website sports a number of other videos, though my personal favorite is "Gnar Wars" because it has light saber battles between snowboarders.

If this is what Knife Show can make with a limited budget, one has to wonder just what the company could do if it was given enough cash to tackle a bigger project like a short movie for a film festival.

Source: Geeks are Sexy

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Okay, that was really neat. The Portal section was well-done. And the ending made me feel... REALLY old.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
That was very good indeed. We need more people with this kind of attitude to games and gamers.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
That was awesome, as I love both skating and games this makes me very happy.

Wish the skating was on par with the snowboarding though, a lot of the skootplanking was pretty weak.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
SharPhoe said:
Okay, that was really neat. The Portal section was well-done. And the ending made me feel... REALLY old.
We all remember blowing into the contacts. If only fixing stuff nowadays was that easy.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I want to like this, but the remixed music is fucking TERRIBLE.
Like... it's very poor rapping over one of the absolute lamest breaks I've heard in my life.

Feb 13, 2008
You are defeated. Instead of shooting where I was, you should have shot where I was going to be. Muahahahaha!

Nice action, ugh to the music though.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
That was really good and it reminded me of the good old days of the SNES and my N64 at the end. I also enjoyed the X-Play logo in the guys room.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Hey! I've actually been snowboarding in that terrain park! Of course, I'm not nearly as good.

That was seriously, seriously cool, but I have to wonder when the Space Invaders got lasers, nerd that I am.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats pretty cool! Someone obviously got bored, but glad they did~

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
So, it's just an over-glorified stunt-reel? With special effects to distract you from the actual stunts because they are shitty?
I will stick to my NWD thank you very much.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Fucking rad video! The portal section was the best, crossing the divide between skating and snowboarding. Really well done, too - flawless graphics and such.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The Pacman and Portal sections were badass. Portal was greatly edited.

If they had taken out the guy rapping, I would've loved this video.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Wait...Made by Mike Benson?

Our one and own Cpt_Oblivious ... Nahh, Cant be!

that was fun anyway.