Square-Enix Isn't Sure Where to Take Final Fantasy

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Square-Enix Isn't Sure Where to Take Final Fantasy

Square-Enix boss Yoichi Wada recognizes that many fans didn't enjoy Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279289881&sr=8-1], and admits that the developer isn't sure where to take the series from here.

I may have personally enjoyed it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7296-Review-Final-Fantasy-XIII], but to say that Final Fantasy XIII was a bit of a "divisive" game within the Final Fantasy fanbase would be an understatement. Fans praised the battle system and gorgeous presentation, while those who didn't like it complained about unlikable characters and an overly-linear progression (even by the series' standards).

Of course, none of that stopped the game from selling 5.5 million copies around the world. Still, Square-Enix CEO Yoichi Wada told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5892/square_enix_in_2010_president_.php?page=2] that the detractors' complaints hadn't fallen on deaf ears.

"Looking at the numbers alone," said Wada, "it is pretty good, because we were able to release the latest Final Fantasy in all three markets of Japan, United States, and Europe in a very short period of time ... [but] when it comes to the customers' reaction to the quality of the game, some value it highly and some are not very happy with it."

This seems to be part of a larger conversation within Square-Enix - and the Japanese games industry as a whole - about the evolution (or lack thereof) of its titles. The JRPG genre in particular has come under criticism lately in the West [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96980-BioWare-Co-Founder-Accuses-JRPGs-of-Stagnation] for "stagnation." With its JRPG core under fire and facing an increasingly dominant Western development scene, Wada admitted that Square-Enix wasn't sure what it wanted to do with Final Fantasy following the online Final Fantasy XIV.

"There are all kinds of games around in the market today. Should Final Fantasy become a new type of the game or should Final Fantasy not become a new type of game? The customers have different opinions. It's very difficult to determine which way it should go."

Wada had previously said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97279-Final-Fantasy-XIII-Could-be-Last-of-This-Type-of-Game-at-Square] back in January that FF13 could be the last of "this type of game" at Square-Enix.

(VG247 [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5892/square_enix_in_2010_president_.php?page=2])

daniel131090

Apr 17, 2009
I must say as much as I love the Final Fantasy series,XIII was a huge dissapointment.The main gripe I had with it would have to have been its combat system.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, thety are recognising a problem. I did enjoy 13, ill admit it, a great ride and every moment of it was a pleasure...yeah, characters started off dull, but, did get better (Exception of Sazh who was alwauys awesome!)

But...where could they take it...? Thats the question. Id like to see a mixed kinda Dragon Age meets FF sort of approach myself

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The west thinks that JRPG's are stagnating? What must they think of our releases? FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS, 3PS, FPS, FPS, FPS.........sport sim

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
All I know, is for the first time ever, I'm genuinely engaging with an FF game's protagonists as I play XIII. They're flawed and in many ways not likeable, sure, but I still wanna see what happens and how they interact with each other (and I'm rapidly approaching the end, normally well-past cut-off point for what little non-exposition character development FF's usually contain).

Lovely graphics, fun plot and setting, nice battle system.. but for /once/ it's a character-driven story instead of an epic plot that happens to have characters in it. In my opinion. Even /Vanille/ was a well written character .. with a rather poor voice actress.

I hope they make more like it besides that one complaint.

So there.

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
No matter what they come up with, someone is going to complain bitterly that its unoriginal. As if anything is original these days?

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
I say stick to the basics. The FF series was original in many ways, and really if all square-enix did was to give a different story with good graphics, and gameplay SIMILAR but not the same as the first 10 Final fantasies it will make a good final fantasy game.

And if you're really all that confused .... why not get to work on that remake of FFVIII now. Build it up from scratch. Its a guaranteed success.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I like Final Fantasy for what it used to be; turn based combat and expansive, interesting worlds. Give me some more of that.

Actually, just inject it straight into my eyeballs. Thanks.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I would suggest taking it back to its roots, make sure that Bioware doesn't say anything about it and try to get other influences than anime.

That, or get some influences from animes like Cowboy bebop.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I had a love/hate relationship with FFXIII. At first, I hated it, because I was expecting another proper Final Fantasy game and was disappointed to find that it wasn't. I made it halfway through the game and walked away.

I recently picked it up again and realized that it's actually an awesome game on its own merits. Just because it's not like the others in the series doesn't make it bad. In fact, I'll say it; the battle system is way better than anything else they've come up with yet. People who didn't like it criticized its deviation from the formula, but it's actually a good thing here.

I'm fine with them moving away from the series roots. We have enough traditional JRPGs from the old days as it is.

I almost feel like FFXIII's quality was only restrained by the fact that it was trying to stay true to the series. I want to see that team given the opportunity to create something completely their own, which is only Final Fantasy by name. I feel like they have the talent.

Feb 13, 2008
While avoiding all the usual cliches - Final Fantasy worked at its best when it focussed on Epic Storytelling with Random Ecnounters, as Bob Bobertson will show us.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
How about to hell? (Just kidding, had to say it XP) Honestly, after 13 games and God knows how many spinoffs, how about make one last game and and make it THE FINAL FINAL FANSTASY? HMMM? [small]See what I did there?[/small]

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
wooty said:
The west thinks that JRPG's are stagnating? What must they think of our releases? FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS, 3PS, FPS, FPS, FPS.........sport sim
True, but at least they're good,

Maybe they could just stop making the franchise altogether and come up with something brand new

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I have an idea.

Final Fantasy VS Capcom

I think it could work...

OT:Im not sure myself, i think maybe taking it back to its roots for a bit instead of releasing remakes might spark some interest.
Hopefully they can come up with something soon.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
All that said, I'd appreciate the latter half of their name taking a stab at Terranigma 2.