Kevin Bacon Takes on Villainous Role in X-Men: First Class

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Kevin Bacon Takes on Villainous Role in X-Men: First Class

They say that everything is better with bacon. Will that apply to X-Men movies too?

Veteran actor Kevin Bacon has joined the likes of James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as part of the cast for X-Men: First Class. Bacon has been confirmed as a villain in the movie, and while exactly who is being kept under wraps, there are rumors that he will play the twisted geneticist Mister Sinister.

Bacon's career has spanned more than 30 years, and he's appeared in movies like Tremors, Hollow Man and Frost/Nixon. He is also the focal point for the "Six Degree of Kevin Bacon" game, where players try to link other actors to him in six moves or less.

It's also been announced that actress Jennifer Lawrence has joined the cast, and will play the shape-changer Mystique. Lawrence recently starred in the movie Winter's Bone, which wowed critics when it was released last month.

The cast for the movie seems very strong, but it's starting to look a little crowded in there. First Class is supposedly about Xavier and Magneto and what caused them to take such different paths later in life, but as the cast swells the worry is that we'll end up with another X-Men: The Last Stand, with way too much is going on. Iron Man 2 managed to fit a lot in without seeming too busy though, so a stance of cautious optimism is probably the best one to adopt.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118021799.html?categoryid=13&cs=1] via CBR [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27220]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I...I liked X-Men: The Last Stand...

Anyway, Kevin Bacon should play Evil Kevin Bacon. But with mutant powers. Say...the power to control bacon! EVIL bacon! Of doom!

unwesen

May 16, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I...I liked X-Men: The Last Stand...

Anyway, Kevin Bacon should play Kevin Bacon. But with mutant powers. Say...the power to control bacon!
I must agree with Hypnotoad.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Not interested at all.

The only interesting X-Man to me is Wolverine; his character seems to be the only one with depth. I dunno, maybe it's just that he's far easier to relate to for a guy than the whiny ***** that is Scott/Cyclops.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Bah, they're just spiraling into the same pattern the comic books always do: a great story, then they add WAY too many rulebreaking elements and everything goes crazy, and the original story becomes unrecognizable amongst the aliens, greek gods, class 5 mutants, mystical artifacts, zombies, vampires, magic beans and evil puppets.
And that's when it becomes boring.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I can see it working. He played a pretty good psycho-scientist in Hollow Man.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Hmmmm Bacon, i thought First class was going to be about the Original Xmen, hopefully without the horrible costumes.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Wait, so this a whole movie based upon a young Magneto and Xavier, right? So that's 80 minutes of that unbelievably awful "young Xavier" effect from "X-Men Origins"? They made Patrick Stewart look like a tanned corpse.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Are all X-men movies doomed to fail because they try to cram in too many characters? Please, please, please don't screw this one up!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Kevin Bacon played a really convincing Douche in Hallowman, so he should fit as a villain, assuming he playes a real douche of a villain XD

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It does feel like alot of sardines in a can...and you know what they say about too many cooks..

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
Woodsey said:
Not interested at all.

The only interesting X-Man to me is Wolverine; his character seems to be the only one with depth. I dunno, maybe it's just that he's far easier to relate to for a guy than the whiny ***** that is Scott/Cyclops.
Go read astonishing x-men by joss whedon.

He takes all of the x-men and makes them interesting characters. He even makes cyclops cool, charismatic, and a leader, without breaking the character.

The villians and plot? They are pretty bad. But the x-men themselves are very well done (and gives hope for the avengers movie).

http://www.amazon.com/Astonishing-X-Men-Omnibus-Joss-Whedon/dp/0785138013/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279289925&sr=8-2

I think there's an animated series on Hulu, too...but I don't know the quality of it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Meh, Bacon never really did it for me as an acter, so I'm fairly unaffected by this news. That said, I can't remember much of the X-Men movies, and I didn't even see the third one. I'll probably wait until it's a rental and rent them all together.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Me--> Ed Asner --> Kevin Bacon

I was an extra in a movie with Asner, who was in JFK with Bacon.

On-topic, though - meh. I'm sure he'll be fine. It'd help if we at least had a confirmation of *who* he was playing...