Game of Thrones to Become an Actual Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Game of Thrones to Become an Actual Game

If you've ever wanted to enter a world of combat, intrigue and betrayal, the newly announced Song of Fire and Ice game might be just what you're looking for.

The Song of Fire and Ice books by George R.R. Martin depict the bitter battles between the houses of Westeros, and the shifting, and often brutal, fortunes of their members. The series has sold more than 7 million books worldwide, the first of which is currently being adapted into an HBO miniseries.

And now you can add a videogame to that list, following the announcement of A Game of Thrones: Genesis, a new real-time PC strategy game from Cyanide Studios, which will allow fans to pit mind and muscle against the likes of the Lannisters and the Starks in the conflicts depicted in the books.

There will be multiple paths to victory, and players will be able to take territory a number of different methods, send spies and assassins to neighbors, capture officers from other families and more. Developer Cyanide says that trickery, treachery and deceit are widespread however, so don't be surprised if someone tries to do the same thing to you. It sounds like the game will have some more turn-based elements as well as the real time stuff, which should make it pretty interesting to play.

There's no release date set for A Game of Thrones: Genesis beyond some time in 2011. Cyanide is also working on a Song of Fire and Ice RPG, but at the moment there are even fewer details available for that.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
If there was ever a game that would want to make me upgrade my older PC, its this game. Loved the books, definitely getting this

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
yayforgiveaway said:
Knowing my luck it'll be another awesome IP butchered for money.
I looked at their website. The only game of note I can see is Blood Bowl. The rest are all things like "Winter Challenge" and "Pro Cycling Manager 2010".

Take that as you will, but I'm not getting too excied.

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Might be something like Empire:total war's grand campaign, do all your espionage on a grander international, turn-based scale, then do other stuff in real time.

GuardianAnubite

Jul 13, 2010
Regardless of the developer and whatever info is released before the game, I'll probably still end up picking it up because I love the books and world that much.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I was kinda into the books, so I might get this.

I just want to kick some Lannister ass I guess

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Oh dear...I liked Bloodbowl, but Cyanide are that odd kind of European game studio...not the good kind like CD Projekt.

And A Game of Thrones is just so much of a beardy, western fantasy, it's hard to tell if they can do it justice with a game. I -really- hope they do well by it.

Sebenko said:
yayforgiveaway said:
Knowing my luck it'll be another awesome IP butchered for money.
I looked at their website. The only game of note I can see is Blood Bowl. The rest are all things like "Winter Challenge" and "Pro Cycling Manager 2010".

Take that as you will, but I'm not getting too excied.

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/
They also made Chaos League, which was a computer version of the tabletop Blood Bowl game. Games Workshop gave them the rights to make a proper one later though.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
A company that's most known for making cycling managers and that new Blood Bowl game is making a game from a series of books that are based around people beating each-other to death...huh...

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
As a fan of the books, let me say: mehhh. SoIaF has always been very plot and character driven, while the setting is rather bland generic fantasy stuff. While theoretically the game could end up with such a story, I find it very doubtful. Even if it is interesting, integrating with the books in a way that it isn't repeat is going to be such a clusterfuck, they might have well just created their own universe.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Maybe I will play it, but first I need to know how the PC community thinks about this game and if it's good.
I've learned to not to be hyped anymore...

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
oliveira8 said:
It may actually come out before the next book. How sad...
Seriously!! I loved the books, but damn it's been a LONG time and STILL no 5th book.

Anyway, not too excited about another game based on a book... I just watched a very depressing preview of Captain Blood. Ugh. Book = amazing. Game looks like turd, and completely NOT in the same spirit of the book.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
[HEADING=1]EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!![/HEADING]

*ahem*

I've been hoping for this since I first read the series. I hope they can do it justice, but it's going to be a tall order. If it has anything less than an Mature rating, then it's not going to be true to the source.

But, niggling worries aside, please let it be an awesome game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh? Now this does sound intresting...

When I first heard the name I thought it was something like Thrones and Patriots expansion for Rise of Nations, heh

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
So, wait, they're going to translate tales of some of the most brutal and conniving political maneuvering and posturing you can possibly imagine, and turn it into a likely generic RTS?

Gotta say, I don't have high hopes for this being able to stay true at all to the source material, beyond showing the house banners wherever possible.

I mean, really. War was an ongoing component of those books, but never the sole focus. How you translate those brutal, highly detailed descriptions of particular people and the events they were involved in within those wars into a likely omniscient, overhead RTS delivery just doesn't compute to me.

It's the characters you follow throughout that make those books great. Notice that most of the wars are fought between chapters, not within them.

assassinslover

Apr 14, 2009
Awesome. This excites me. I'm about 2/3 through the third book in the series (would be done them all, but school got in the way) and loving them of course.