Grand Theft Auto IV Censored For Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto IV Censored For Australia

Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.rockstargames.com] has been censored to satisfy that country's restrictions on videogame content.

Rockstar did not reveal what material has been cut, according to the Office of Film and Literature Classification's [http://blogs.smh.com.au/screenplay/archives/017808.html?page=fullpage#comments] MA15+ rating. The game has been rated R18+ in the U.K., New Zealand and Germany and M (Mature) in North America, but Australia does not have a corresponding rating for mature-themed videogames.

Australia has recently begun expressed opposition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81729]to a proper adult rating for videogames.

Predictably, reader reaction to the news has been almost universally negative, with many expressing intentions to cancel preorders with Australian retailers in order to purchase the game online from overseas dealers. Previous releases of the Grand Theft Auto series, including Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas [http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto3/], were also edited for release in Australia.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
What?! The Aussies don't have an 18 equivalent rating? How odd, so everything has to be acceptable for a 15 year old to play? And I thought the UK system was in need of an overhaul!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
There's been articles about Autralia' ratings issues, and how things are going to change much until... revoluzion!

Cozmo1

Mar 23, 2008
i am so glad i don't live down-under... Everything that makes GTA, GTA is also what makes it an 18...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I was going to mention the Statham thing myself. I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising, given his past movie roles.

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
I'm sure some kind soul will send Yahtzee a PAL copy from the UK.

I mean, fo' shizzle.

Oh, and yes, that def looks like statham.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
I was thinking that there was a marked similarity with the ruggedly handsome Mr.Statham a few days ago. MGS has Kurt Russell in Snake, so why not Jase in GTA?
RE the censorship: I suppose living in Oz has got to have one negative point compared to Blighty.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Is that girl bleeding from her tounge? I dont want to know how that happened, i suspect egg-shells are a part of it.

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Have you seen Neighbours recently?
Haha, good point.

But yeah, the Australian OFLC is made of fail. I know, since I live here. You know that Dark Sector will be banned here upon its release?

Honestly, I can't see why we don't have an R18+ rating. The logic is very simple - give it a mandatory ID check before it's sold, and everyone should be happy that the children are protected. If people don't believe that that'd help, then we should scrap the OFLC and ban every form of media there is, because ratings are obviously ineffective in controlling the distribution of media.

JB28

Apr 6, 2008
I am so pissed about this bullshit. I already pre-ordered the special edition of the game now I will have to cancel it and buy the REAL VERSION over the internet if the laws allow for it. If they don't I will have to go overseas and buy it, then bring it back. THATS BULLSHIT!!! I refuse to buy the stupid fucking Australian version. I shouldn't have to put up with this bullshit. Australia is way too over-sensitive shit country. ROCKSTAR probably hates Australia because they have to make a softcock edited version of every game they release. Stupid Australian cocksuckers responsible for this should cut their dicks off.

Feb 13, 2008
Fenixius said:
Honestly, I can't see why we don't have an R18+ rating. The logic is very simple - give it a mandatory ID check before it's sold, and everyone should be happy that the children are protected.
This is the problem I have with rating systems. I saw "American Werewolf in London" when I was about 12 and I had nightmares. However, I had far worse nightmares, for far longer, about a song called "VIdeo Killed the Radio Star" (On the GTA:VC soundtrack) because it showed the image of a little girl getting blown up (Or so I thought at the time...).

(And according to the research, I should curl up into a foetal position whenever I hear that now, but I quite like it.)

Now, if I give 'American Werewolf' to a kid these days, they'll be howling with laughter; but 24 hours a day they can see troops in Iraq/Bosnia being terrified and blown up.

And, having worked in the retail trade, some kid came into buy some superglue. I apologised and said I'd have to see some I.D., he toddled (yes he was that young) over to his dad, who walked up and said "It's for me!", bought it, and on the way out, handed it back to his kid.

Gummy

Oct 24, 2007
there are too many stubborn old men in power. outdated, backwards-thinking, ignorant, grumpy elitists. there is no evidence to suggest games effect people psycologically any more than film, television and the media do. in fact this is another case of politicians meddling where they shouldnt. it happens all to often to pander to the all to easy 'family values' voters.
It's a no-brainer that kids shouldn't be supplied with excessively violent games, or games containing bad language, nudity or violence. those games arent made for kids. and its ultimately the parents responsibility to censor what their young children see. And simple procedures can be put in place to ensure retailers sell responsibly too.

(btw this is an amalgam reply to the comments of 3 related articles)

Feb 13, 2008
Gummy said:
and its ultimately the parents responsibility to censor what their young children see.
Then shouldn't parents be able to be reported? On the spot fine of £50/$100 for allowing a minor to watch/play a 18 rated game?
Who's for that?