PS3 Twisted Metal Could Have Been Post-Apocalyptic

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PS3 Twisted Metal Could Have Been Post-Apocalyptic

The PS3 version of Twisted Metal could have seen Sweet Tooth swap his clown mask for a gas mask, says director David Jaffe.

Causing copious amounts of destruction is kind of the point of the Twisted Metal games, but in the PS3 installment there could have been a lot less stuff left to break had plans to set the game in a post-apocalyptic environment gone ahead.

Writing on his blog [http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2010/07/twisted-metal-apocalypse.html], Jaffe said Twisted Metal was originally going to be set in a "apocalyptic wasteland," but that co-director Scott Campbell wasn't fond of the idea, so it was dropped. Jaffe expressed relief at the decision, following what he called a "glut" of post-apocalyptic games "flooding" the market.

Despite thinking it was the best decision to drop the post-apocalyptic angle, Jaffe said that he loved the redesign of Sweet Tooth (pictured), and said on Twitter [http://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/18719366868] that he would like to offer it as an alternate driver model in the final game.

Jaffe plans to talk more about the game that never was at the Twisted Metal panel at San Diego Comic Con this coming Friday. Twisted Metal PS3 is scheduled for a 2011 release.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/18/jaffe-twisted-metal-ps3-used-to-be-post-apocalyptic/]

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
That sounds awesome! Why didn't they do that for the new one? Now that's something I would have like to see.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
A good decision, there are way too many post apocalyptic games about (and it woulds also mean less smashy smashy!0. But that version of Sweet Tooth is badass...

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
When I think of the new twisted metal, I think of what could have been: Twisted Metal Black: Harbour City. Doll face was on of my absolute favourite...NO, she IS my absolute favorite character, she's just so innocent, she was beaten and abused and all she wanted to do was to not screw up, I wanted to see what happened to her in the second game....but it never came

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Thank god they didn't do it.

Post-apocalyptic settings suuuuuuck when what you want is giant, destructive mayhem.

Mostly because everything is already blown up.

I prefer this so much more.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Hell, the current game looks like it's in a current-Apocalypse brought on by the crazy clowns.

Whether it's post-, pre-, or current-Apocalypse, I still plan toget this game as soon as it comes out!

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
There has been a bit much overkill on the post-apocalyptic landscapes these days. While I'd like to see a new incarnation of the Twisted Metal series, I'd be glad not to see in some drab muted brown colors the whole time. Granted, there's not a lot of sensible directions the series can go, so eventually we'll have to embrace the idea of it taking place in a future ruined world, just not yet.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
I hate the word post-apocalyptic and its sudden rise to fame.

Both those words separate are awesome. Post, and Apocalyptic, but mash them together and you get the most stupid word ever.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Hubilub said:
Thank god they didn't do it.

Post-apocalyptic settings suuuuuuck when what you want is giant, destructive mayhem.

Mostly because everything is already blown up.

I prefer this so much more.
I agree with this, but I must say, I like Sweet Tooth with a gas mask.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Wait...its not post-apocalyptic? I was always under the impression that these games took place in some sort of dystopian future.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Wait...its not post-apocalyptic? I was always under the impression that these games took place in some sort of dystopian future.
Dystopian =/= Post-apocalyptic. Half Life 2 is a dystopian setting, Fallout 3 is a post-apocalyptic setting. While sort of similar, they're still very different.

In any case though, Twisted Metal was never either of those. It just seems dystopian because the story focuses on its characters who are not entirely sane, and has a "be careful what you wish for" theme to most of the characters' endings.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Dystopian =/= Post-apocalyptic. Half Life 2 is a dystopian setting, Fallout 3 is a post-apocalyptic setting. While sort of similar, they're still very different.

In any case though, Twisted Metal was never either of those. It just seems dystopian because the story focuses on its characters who are not entirely sane, and has a "be careful what you wish for" theme to most of the characters' endings.
I understand the two are not the same, but often they end up being similar.

I've played Twisted Metal Black and whenever I played that game, I always thought of some horrible future where everyone just decks out their cars to kill other people.