Valve to Release Alien Swarm for Free

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve to Release Alien Swarm for Free

Valve has a present for you, one that's alien themed and can be played with friends.

What do Team Fortress, Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat have in common? The answer is that they all started out as mods that were later made into full games by Valve. Now you can add Alien Swarm to that list, with the announcement that Valve is releasing a new version of the game for free on Steam tomorrow. The game has four-player co-op, a leveling system, and more than 40 weapons. Valve is also updating the Source SDK, so that if you want to try putting levels together for the game, you have the tools available.

Alien Swarm began its life as a total conversion mod for Unreal Tournament 2004, created by Black Cat Games back in 2008. Valve hired Black Cat and set it to work on Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2. But somehow Black Cat found a way to fit in work on a new version of Alien Swarm and as you can see, it looks pretty impressive.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07/16/valve-to-release-new-alien-swarm-monday/]

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wow looks like a really fun game, I will be sure to get it tomorrow :)

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Why do I get the feeling my computer won't be able to run this?
Oh right, because it was made after eighteen seventy-flipping-three.

That said, it does look fun for those who don't have coal powered computers.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I'm planning on getting it, just because it's a free game, so none of my friends can complain about not having it. Also, the SDK will be fun to experiment with.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I really want this.

It's exactly the kind of thing I wanted, top down co-op. The fact it is free means it will be easy to find people to play and the mods that come out for it should be awesome.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
It's like Christmas came early! And Gabe Newell is Santa Claus!....*shudders*

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Looks fun, if Left 4 Dead had aliens and was a top down shooter.

Does the Escapist plan to review it? I know it is Valve... but you want to be sure.

Even if it is free. :p

Jun 26, 2009
Nice, though at first I thought it would be like L4D but it's top down so the gameplay will be quite alot different.
Valve realy are for helping those raw talanted indie guys. Good on ya valve, good on ya.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Marik2 said:
Wow looks like a really fun game
Looks to me like YouTube's servers are still failing.

Anyway, I guess there's no better way to see what the game plays like than to just play it. All it'll cost me is around oh... roughly nada. Give or take. So Left 4 Dead was made by a team Valve absorbed, eh? I never knew that, seems like it was a really good purchase on their part though. It'll be interesting to check-out this game that prompted Valve to snatch them up.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of top-down shooters, but for free it is worth a try, just like America's Army. I just hope the community isn't like America's Army's... that game was free and people were constantly bitching about it on the Steam forums about how the graphics weren't top notch or whatever...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I feel bad about not being able to pay money for this, altho I suppose that it will really depend on how good it is

Je Suis Ubermonkey

Jun 10, 2010
Sevre90210 said:
Oh dear God! He would get stuck in my chimney!
Although he probably uses a portal gun, for convenience science, you monster.

Yay for pathetic attempts at humour.

Nov 7, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
GABE CLAUS
TO PHOTOSHOP

OT: This looks great. I'll get it the next time I'm not on dialup. >_< Hopefully it's gonna remain free.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
looks at desktop, notices lack of steam
downloads steam
creates account

Ok, all ready for tomorrow!

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Marik2 said:
Wow looks like a really fun game
Looks to me like YouTube's servers are still failing.

Anyway, I guess there's no better way to see what the game plays like than to just play it. All it'll cost me is around oh... roughly nada. Give or take. So Left 4 Dead was made by a team Valve absorbed, eh? I never knew that, seems like it was a really good purchase on their part though. It'll be interesting to check-out this game that prompted Valve to snatch them up.
if i remeber right l4d was originaly made by another company (turtel rock i think) and vavle bought them or im just tired and mixing up my memories
OT: its free so im getting it

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
I really hope theres a first person option for this. I just dont like top down shooters as much :/

Other than that I AM GOING TO DOMINATE THIS SHIT