The Chronicles of Cataclysm: The Curse of the Worgen

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
The Chronicles of Cataclysm: The Curse of the Worgen

Hope you got your things together; hope you are quite prepared to die.

Read Full Article

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
Xzi said:
You will not tempt me, Satan! Every day I have to rock back and forth in the corner chanting to myself, "WoW sucks, it really REALLY sucks, I will not re-activate my subscription," just to stay sane.
Haha, this is me, too. Every time I read one of these articles, I force myself to say:

"Boooooooooooring!"

out loud. It's just barely keeping me determined to stay away. Just.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
You know there's really no harm in enjoying WOW, right? :)

I've gotta say, if I'd quit, I'd probably get a time card just to see what they'd done, then decide if I wanted to pay up for the expansion to see the new race's areas.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
I think it is a mistake to make an alone written article about the worgan starting zone. It would be much better to actually make a commented video like this guy did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpdLsNQJnvc

You can't describe the greatness of Blizzard's work through words.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
Worgens look nice.I actually dreamed of playing as a worgen when I first discovered them in the dark forest area.

After watching the video I don't want to play as an ape with huge hands.The animations suck for Worgen.I hope WoW dies in less than 3 years so they release a new game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They seem to be doing a fair buit to try and have more people join into the fun. Ill admit, it looks fun, but still...its art style bugs me so much

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
As a veteran player, there is no atmosphere to be found in the worgen starting area.

Maybe it's something only newcomers can experience, but if you understand the formulas and mechanics behind wow, it's just impossible to get scared. You just know there will be no challenge to be found here, you can't make a difference in the outcome no matter how good you are.
That's just forgetting the part about your fellow players, how can you feel suspense, if bob right there is bunnyhopping though the landscape?

Some events are even ruined completely by randoms. I remember one quest quite well, the last part of the worgen attacks, some mobs have to come in to the cathedral to spawn your questmobs. which is impossible because 25 randoms keep killing them before they can come in, wondering why their quest doesn't update.

In direct comparison, the goblin starting area, with all it's jokes and sillyness fits way more into the mood of wow, altough that depends a bit on wether you like steampunk or not.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
WoW shall not take me!!
TOR might, but never WoW!

EDIT: although i do suppose that cataclysm might entice me a little for a 10 day trial.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I don't play WoW, but I had to comment on this article because the blurb in the OP is a line from "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedance Clearwater Revival, one of my top 5 favorite bands.

Wait...Back up a sec...Worgens are werewolves, right? What kind of werewolves are we talking about?

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I felt like that review/sneak preview was basically phoned in, it really paled to the goblin sneak peak in my opinion.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Wait...Back up a sec...Worgens are werewolves, right? What kind of werewolves are we talking about?
Humanoid wolves. How they act depends on the area. Gilneans and those up in Grizzly Hills can change at will, those in pyrewood village change at night, and most are wolf form the whole time, or are just born as Worgen.

Also, they don't sparkle.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Hmm... so the Goblin starting area is better than the Worgen area.

Makes sense, the Horde is so much better than Alliance anyways...

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
For what it's worth, the Worgen bite happens in the basement where you find the guy hunched over and he throws you away; by the time you reach the cathedral, the bite is infected.

Anyway, I loved the Worgen starting area. But, I still feel that Worgens and Goblins are two of the least exciting races Blizzard could've added.

The worst part of Cataclysm so far, to me, is that very little seems to have changed in other starting areas, like Elwynn Forest.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Hope you got your things together; hope you are quite prepared to die.
Looks like we're in for nasty weather.
One eye is taken for an eye.
Don't go around tonight,
Well, it's bound to take your life,
There's a bad moon on the rise.

Haven't heard a CCR reference in quite awhile. Kudos.

Anyway, looks enjoyable. I play Horde, so I won't be seein' much Worgen, though.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Jake Martinez said:
I felt like that review/sneak preview was basically phoned in, it really paled to the goblin sneak peak in my opinion.
Ouch. To be fair, the Worgen starting area just isn't as cool. The deck was stacked against me.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
At this point, things get kind of fuzzy. We must have won the fight because I'm still alive. But something must have gone wrong, because I'm locked in the stocks.
After you turn in the quest to kill 8 or 10 of w/e the attacking Worgen are called the NPC yells "THIS IS WHERE WE PLAY A VIDEO OF YOU TURNING INTO A WORGEN AND FAST FORWARD TO THE PRESENT". Needless to say the Worgen starting area is still incomplete, don't even get me started on disconnecting every time I tried to save a drowning victim for another quest once the sundering happens.