Inception Tops Box Office Charts

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Inception Tops Box Office Charts

The latest movie from The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan has had the opening weekend of its dreams.

Reports that Inception will leave you scratching your head at its twists and turns hasn't stopped people flocking to it in droves this weekend, pushing it to number one in the US Box Office charts.

Inception took $60.4million on its opening weekend, knocking 3D animated comedy Despicable Me off the top spot, and providing star Leonardo DiCaprio with his biggest opening weekend ever. Dan Fellmen, head of distribution for Warner Bros, said that Inception was now well positioned to run for the rest of the summer.

Inception stars Leonardo DiCaprio as the leader of a team of professional saboteurs who steal secrets from people's dreams. DiCaprio said that the movie didn't rely on "regurgitated plot structures," and that he was pleased to see movies that took a risk and challenged their audiences.

It's always encouraging when movies like Inception do well, as it opens the door for similarly complex films in the future. Watching things explode is always fun, but it's nice to have a bit of variety too. If you want to find out a little bit more about the movie, you can watch MovieBob's review here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1874-Inception].

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-10680772]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It's now my favourite film with DiCaprio in it. Sorry Catch Me If You Can, but this makes me sound less gay for a change.

Ponchponcho

Apr 19, 2010
Great news! Wasn't a sequel, or a remake and wasn't an adaptation of a novel, excellently made original work it deserves all its praise and profits.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Hollywood doesn't give it's audiences enough credit. Just because films like Transformers 2 and Twilight: Eclipse can do well that doesn't mean that movies like Inception can't do well either, you don't need to pander to the lowest common denominator to turn a profit and hopefully this movie will show that.

I haven't seen Inception yet because it hasn't reached theatres here but I'll watch it as soon as I can.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Inception stars Leonardo DiCaprio as the leader of a team of professional saboteurs
Fixed that for you.

And I can't wait to see it myself.

caselj01

Jun 8, 2010
The fact that this movie did well commercially has restored some of my faith in mankind.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
caselj01 said:
The fact that this movie did well commercially has restored some of my faith in mankind.
The advertising men did their job well with this one.

All the adverts I've seen mention the two important things, De Caprio and 'from the makers of The Dark Knight'. It's hard to see how you could go wrong with that.

But still, nice to see someone else than Michael Bay topping the movie charts, now I just have to wait for the UK release...

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
If everyone else is seeing what I saw in the movie, I'm not surprised at all that this movie is doing gloriously well.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Xzi said:
God this was a great movie. I never would have watched that piece of shit Matrix trilogy if this had been released first. It's not really confusing at all, but it's a very cool concept and it keeps your eyes absolutely GLUED to the screen for the whole two and a half hours.

I was overjoyed to see one good non-3D movie this summer. I doubt anything will top it for quite some time.
Matrix trilogy? What are you on about, there was only one of them. I seem to remember some rumours about them making sequels, but they wouodn't be that stupid, would they?

OT: Not surprised at all. Went to see it recently and the cinema was packed with people, most of which didn't really look like the thinking type.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
What's the big deal,these movies always get to the top,important thing is how long do they stay there.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
So much for all the elitists saying that the average cinema-goer won't get this kind of thing and that it won't have much appeal because of it.

These kinds of movies don't have to be universally loved either I think. They just have to be interesting enough for people to want to at least see them once to see what the whole buzz is about and word of mouth + other advertising will do the rest, for better or ill.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I haven't seen in yet, but I'm glad it's there. Come on box office, prove to Hollywood that a film doesn't have to be dumb to please the masses.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Thank the Maker. If this is indeed poised to remain for the rest of the summer, maybe I'll actually be able to see it while it's in cinemas.