OnLive CEO Says Service Is Not For Hardcore Gamers

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
OnLive CEO Says Service Is Not For Hardcore Gamers

When you're creating a service advertised to play hardcore games without a costly computer, it's a little confusing to say it's not for hardcore gamers.

CNet [http://www.onlive.com/] where he said the service is not for the hardcore.

"If you're a hardcore gamer and you've got a big rig and you want the highest quality graphics than OnLive is not the place where you're going to play your high-end game," he said. This appears to be in stark contrast to earlier statements that led us to believe that OnLive could play high-end games on maximum settings through a television with nothing required other than an internet connection.

Instead, he appears to paint it more "as a demo service, as a rental service, as a purchase service, as a social network." He says: "To not have a huge download in order to trial something before you make the purchase decision, why not? Just click OnLive and give it a go. If you like it, terrific. Download the thing from Steam or order a copy on DVD."

Perlman might be talking about the top 1% of gamers here; the kind that have no qualms about spending $1000 on the newest upgrade every four months. He could mean that OnLive isn't going to be a replacement for the type of a player that always has to have bleeding edge hardware. Still, I got the impression that OnLive was particularly designed to replicate the high-end so that people wouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars to build their own computers.

I don't think anybody expects OnLive to replace a constantly upgraded big-rig computer, but does this statement mean high-end games can't be played as previously indicated? I don't mean to look too much into it, but it's a bit confusing after being told I would be able to play games such as Crysis on maximum settings through OnLive. At least the service is pretty much free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102163-OnLive-Extends-Free-Service-Offer] so it can be wholly tested without too much risk for now.

Source: CNet [http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20010687-1.html]

Feb 13, 2008
Do the letters CEO before your name actually mean Cannot Elucidate Ordinarily?

Every time recently a CEO seems to open their mouth, it's just words guaranteed to get them hated.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Wait... You're telling me that there is a service that allows me to play hardcore games on a shitty computer?

I'm so in!

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
OnLive today is just a string of constant disappointments. It started out as such a good idea but it seems as though it's just getting worse and worse.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
so that people wouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars to build their own computers.
What kind of person would spend THOUSANDS on a computer? A gaming computer at that. My gaming computer was 600 or so, and it can play anything on high...

I'll assume you're talking about prefabs.

Anyways, perhaps the ceo saying that hardcore gamers won't use onlive is such a wise idea. After all, only the hardcore, and people that the hardcoremay talk to prettymuch KNOW about onlive, making thehardcore their current potential customers until they receive more publicity.

Ahhh well.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Back peddeling a little? At least he has come out and said it...

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
This is what it was always meant to be OnLive is there to offset the inital cost of gaming hardware and required knowledge to even begin it's for people that are starting to get into gaming, the Hardcore crowd already has purchased the hardware to play with, this is for new customers to the industry.

A couple of deals later should see sports games and streaming movies on the service than just games.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
I don't think that OnLive can compete with even midrange rigs. I built my computer 4 years ago for $600. If you just look at the differences in prices between what I bought I have only spent $200.
Then
2.33Ghz C2D, 650i SLI motherboard, 2GB DDR2-800, Geforce 8600, 500W Antec PSU
Now
3.8Ghz C2D, P45 crossfire motherboard, 8GB DD2-800, ATI HD4850, 500W Antec SPU

OnLive can never give me the 60fps I'm used to in games. I remember hearing that you only get around 20-25fps through OnLive while playing Just Cause 2 at 720p. You also can't do anything else when playing or the game will stop and warn you of high latency connections.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
When did high end graphics mean hardcore? I'd like to see an avid "hardcore" Modern Warfare player get past the first level of Mega Man 9.

Anyway, as for this news, it now seems they don't what to do with this service. Either way it doesn't interest me.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
So he expects casual gamers to pay a subscription fee to be able to play games. That doesn't make much sense to me.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
I Agree 100%, Because Hardcore gamers aren't stupid enough to fall for this scam.