Thief 4 Coming?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief 4 Coming?

Eidos Montreal [http://www.eidosmontreal.com/]has begun recruiting for its "second AAA project," and has dropped an admittedly very vague hint that it might be Thief 4.

Ion Storm [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167281], a defunct developer that was owned by Eidos.

According to a Facebook [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130788]profile image with the stylized "T" from the Thief logo, although it has since been removed.

Rumors of Deus Ex 3 first announcement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71891]by Eidos' new facility in Montreal that it would be their debut game. Eidos has thus far refused to comment.

The Tingler

Oct 3, 2007
I really hope this is true, and that both this and DE3 will be a good as I want them to be. No pressure, Eidos!

I miss the Thief series, and want it back bad. It's still my favourite gaming world, and Garrett the best player-controlled character.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
It makes sense. If they're bringing back Deus Ex, then they may be on a bit of a drive to restore all their old and loved series... es.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I gets GITS-vibes off of that trailer, but the speaker voice was pretty badly chosen : P And stuff like that always worry me...

courier

Mar 13, 2008
What I want: The ambiance and attitude of Thief 1, the gameplay and balance of Thief 2, and the graphics of Thief 3.

What I expect: The balance and graphics of Thief 1, the ambiance of Thief 2, and the attitude and gameplay of Thief 3.

What I will do: Buy it anyway, because I am Garrett's *****.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
There is a significant uproar over this among the Thief fan community, which will be infinitesimally tiny compared to what will happen if this thing is actually confirmed.

For the record: While I preferred the more cohesive story of The Metal Age, most of my favourite individual levels were "monster-based": Down in the Bonehoard, The Lost City and of course, Return to the Haunted Cathedral. Thief: Deadly Shadows was not, for me, the massive disappointment that some fans claim it was (the stupid name notwithstanding) but I did very much miss the mission briefings from the first two games, which were huge factors in establishing the ambience of the overall game.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
I never played a Deus Ex game (15, console gamer, idiot, etc.) but I loved Thief 3 and am looking at buying the earlier ones, I had a few looks at youtube vids and they look pretty good, but Deadly Shadows was amazing....And scary....very scary...*remembers mental asylum/orphanage* AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... I'm serious that scared me more than Saw 1-4, maybe Condemned.

So...anyways...hoping for another, the stealth was always fun and I really liked robbing whole neighborhoods.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Malygris said:
There is a significant uproar over this among the Thief fan community, which will be infinitesimally tiny compared to what will happen if this thing is actually confirmed.

For the record: While I preferred the more cohesive story of The Metal Age, most of my favourite individual levels were "monster-based": Down in the Bonehoard, The Lost City and of course, Return to the Haunted Cathedral. Thief: Deadly Shadows was not, for me, the massive disappointment that some fans claim it was (the stupid name notwithstanding) but I did very much miss the mission briefings from the first two games, which were huge factors in establishing the ambience of the overall game.
I liked the monster levels for their ambiance, but god they were a B*tch to get through. That haunted cathedral though... still scares the piss out of me. you finally get all those keys, come back, open the door...

shhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~

"...oh F*ck*"

J-Man

Nov 2, 2008
Unlike Deus Ex, the Thief series has been getting better since it started. Let's hope they keep it up.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This reminds me I have to play the Theif game I downloaded off of GameTap.

I'm still confused as to what it actually is, and I hope it's easier than Deus Ex: GOTY edition (I couldn't pass the first damn level!) or both of the Fallouts so I can actually play the damned thing.

Damn, you oldsters like your hard games don't you?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Malygris said:

Hear hear! I liked the pacing shift in the original game much more than the second, which began to feel repetitive. The adventure levels probably needed some tweaking and streamlining, but they were still fun just for the sake of variety.

Most importantly though...bring back those cutscenes. Dark, history channel esque, and definitely make sure Stephen Russell or someone who can deliver a similar moody, sarcastic tone.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
I'll be pissed off if this turns out to be a Tomb Raider expansion for Little Big Planet now that I'm looking forward to a new Thief game.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Melaisis said:
It makes sense. If they're bringing back Deus Ex, then they may be on a bit of a drive to restore all their old and loved series... es.
Which is a shame Deus ex wise, because Ion Storm developed the first and critically acclaimed title, and also thief deadly shadows, and Looking glass studios developed the first two thief games, and so far they have implemented a cover system and auto regen into Deus Ex....My faith in them is waning fast, but I guess there is no way they could mess up T4....right?

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Why couldn't their new AAA title start with an H, and end with itman.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
Great. Now let's just hope it's more like Thief 1 and 2 rather than Deadly Shadows.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
So that's why Eidos sent me a call about my recent application... Right on.