Nintendo Places Skyward Sword in Zelda Timeline

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Places Skyward Sword in Zelda Timeline

The Zelda timeline is more puzzling than a hundred Water Temples, but producer Eiji Aonuma has offered a tiny clue to where the new game fits.

Does Minish Cap come before Majora's Mask? Does Link's Awakening come after Twilight Princess? Nintendo is very reluctant to say exactly how all the Legend of Zelda games fit together, but in an interview with ONM [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=18880], Aonuma revealed where the upcoming Skyward Sword is placed, albeit it in a vague way.

Aonuma said that having discussed the reveal with Shigeru Miyamoto, he was able to confirm Skyward Sword came before Ocarina of Time. This likely won't come as much of a surprise to Zelda historians, as it's already been revealed that the Skyward Sword turns into the Master Sword, meaning that the game pre-dates any game that has the Master Sword in it, but it's unusual to get that kind of definite confirmation.

The reason that Nintendo kept the timeline under wraps, Aonuma said, was so that it didn't constrain itself when it came to making new titles; saying that if he said a particular title was the first Zelda game, Nintendo would be unable to make a game before that. "For us to add titles to the series," he added. "We have to have a way of putting the titles before or after each other."

Source: via Go Nintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=130953]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, vague is better than saying nothing at all...although, you would think by now someone would have destroyed that water temple!!! ><

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
So wait... you're big link, then you turn into little link once the skyward sword becomes the mastersword, and then you become big link again?

I thoguth Star Wars books created a confusing storyline....

Can you guys just tell us the time line already?

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Well, that would mean Gannon can't possibly be in this game. Seeing as the Gerudo prince Ganondorf got turned into Gannon at the end of Ocarina of Time.

And he got killed hundreds of years later on the SNES in A Link to the Past, which mentioned the Master Sword never got used again during the ending sequence.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
So they claim that there isn't a timeline (they sent that form letter to both me and Ocarinahero10) then make vauge references like this? Seriously, if I didn't have limitless respect for Miyamoto and Legend of Zelda, I would be pretty pissed off.

Still, it does make sense that they won't say which game comes first.

Though I'm still curious as to how the Skyward Sword turns into the Master Sword, when according to A Link to the Past's instruction manual, the Master Sword was forged my the people of Hyrule because they suspected Ganon's power was granted by Triforce magic.

Jack and Calumon said:
Minish Cap surely came first, as that's how Link got his hat!

Calumon: There's a timeline?
Didn't Minish Cap come later? I remember something about the Picori Sword being made after the Master Sword. I may be wrong though.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Celtic_Kerr said:
So wait... you're big link, then you turn into little link once the skyward sword becomes the mastersword, and then you become big link again?

I thoguth Star Wars books created a confusing storyline....

Can you guys just tell us the time line already?
Reincarnation. Many of the games point out that there's a legendary hero that gets reborn when things go wrong. He was created by the three goddesses as a failsafe to protect the lands.

Heck, Link to the Past has you search the descendants of the sages that sealed Gannon in the holy world. In Ocarina of Time you seal Gannon there with the help of the original sages.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
If Miyamoto did manage to come up with a cohesive timeline, I wouldn't think it could prevent them from making more games, as Aonuma said. I mean, according to nearly every Zelda historian/theorist, there have been countless clues in every game that shows there is a connection to each story. If anything, they have been creating a timeline, it's only the fans who have been able to put the pieces together.

That being said, now I'm imagining Miyamoto dressed up as The Riddler getting angry for whenever a Zelda historian/theorist solves more of the puzzle.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Let's be honest: There's probably no definitive timeline.

I love Zelda either way though...

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
well Nintendo seems to be deliberately messing with fans
first their is a timeline, then their isn't and now their is again
Oh My

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
I just kinda assumed that they shared the same concept as the Final Fantasy "timelines". Most of them just happened, with little pretense to any others.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
Seriously, if I didn't have limitless respect for Miyamoto and Legend of Zelda, I would be pretty pissed off.
Perhaps it is time to impose some limits? ;-)

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I prefer Ocarina of Time coming first, because when all the other games refer to a "legendary hero," given the context they are speaking of, it always fits properly with Link as the Hero of Time.