Ultimate Spider-Man Rounds Off Shattered Dimensions

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Ultimate Spider-Man Rounds Off Shattered Dimensions

The fourth &mdash and final &mdash dimension of the upcoming Spider-Man game is going to be a symbiote-friendly version of Ultimate Spider-Man.

With <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Shattered-Dimensions-Xbox-360/dp/B003ESDQW4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279821894&sr=8-2>Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions' release approaching fast, there's been a lot of speculation about what the final dimension would be. So far, the worlds of Amazing Spider-Man, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-2099-TPB-Graphic-Novels/dp/0785139648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279824688&sr=8-1>Spider-Man 2099, and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Noir-David-Hine/dp/0785139443/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279824728&sr=1-1>Spider-Man: Noir have managed to generate a lot of excitement amongst Spidey fans. Now that Comic-Con is upon us, Activision has revealed the final setting: that of Ultimate Spider-Man.

According to IGN, which was on hand to see the game in person, the Ultimate dimension is different from its counterparts thanks to art direction and combat style:

It might not be as stark a difference as comparing Amazing to 2099, but I assure you, it's there. For starters, Ultimate is completely cel-shaded and Spider-Man's got a much sleeker, younger physique. On top of that, Spider-Man's rocking the black symbiote in this rich and colorful world and not Amazing's red and blue tights. The outfit that would be Venom is cool on a visual level, but the suit actually means that Ultimate Spider-Man plays a lot differently than the other dimensions.

...Whereas in the Noir world - if I did everything right - the villain had no idea I was around, Ultimate had black suit Spidey dropped into the middle of a mess of bad guys. This would've ended with Noir Spider-Man getting blown away in his world, but here, Ultimate Spider-Man just laid waste to these foes with the suit. Spider-Man swings his arms and whips opponents with the symbiote tendrils, he can cause the suit to shoot spikes out of his chest, and the webhead can create impalers that spring from the pavement.

Essentially, this sounds like a mix of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Prototype, and 2005's Ultimate Spider-Man. Web of Shadows featured similar melee-friendly play when you shifted to the Symbiote costume, but the attacks described sound like they're straight out of last summer's Prototype.

I'm a little underwhelmed by this last revelation. Marvel essentially killed off the Ultimate universe and rebooted it with the awful Ultimatum storyline in 2009. Besides, it hasn't been that long since the Ultimate Spider-Man video game came out.

Personally, I think this last dimension was a lazy decision by Activision. Why not let players play as the aged Spidey from <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Reign-Kaare-Andrews/dp/0785126651/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279824774&sr=1-1>Reign, Pavitr Prabhakar from <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-India-TPB-Amazing/dp/0785116400/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279824798&sr=1-1>Spider-Man: India, or even Peter Parquagh from the seminal <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-1602-Spider-Man-Premiere-HC/dp/0785146032/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279824849&sr=1-2>Marvel 1602 world (that took place in Colonial America and had dinosaurs)? What about you? Which version of Spidey were you really hoping to play?

Source: <a href=http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1107685p1.html>IGN

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this. Ultimate Spiderman was one of my favorite games of the last console generation, and if Shattered Dimensions is like that game, I'll be happy.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I can only claim to be a casual Spidey fan, and have to say this game has caught my attention. Will give it a go, though I can't recommend a cooler last universe due to my relative unfamiliarity with the franchise.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting, a very different approach to be sure. Something to keep my eye on and see how it works.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Awww, I was hoping they were going to do the cartoony baby spiderman. That would have been a ballsy move.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
zombie711 said:
The reason I think this game will be bad is because it's not a sandbox.
Is it me, or has the past sandbox spider-man games suck? maybe they are just trying out something different.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Broken Orange said:
zombie711 said:
The reason I think this game will be bad is because it's not a sandbox.
Is it me, or has the past sandbox spider-man games suck? maybe they are just trying out something different.
Spider-Man 3 had a significant amount of suckage in it, aside from being a movie tie-in. I thought Web of Shadows was okay, and loved to yo-yo enemies, because it felt like something Spidey would do. While I will miss the open world, I'm looking forward to Shattered Dimensions. Maybe it'll be a throw-back to the old, beat 'em up style games on the SNES.

What I'm really looking forward to is how Amazing and Ultimate will interact, if they do meet up. They're more alike than Noir and 2099, personality-wise. I get nerd-goosebumps just thinking about it.

BTW; epic avatar image, Broken Orange.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Aw, I wanted Zombie Spidey. Though, to be honest, having a symbiote version was fairly predictable as the black costume is very iconic.

Lukahart

Jul 22, 2010
i really like ultimate spiderman, but seriously, we have other games with the symbionte. i was expecting something with differents mechanincs, maybe even a more mystic attune version of spiderman (from the The Other storyline). i know most of ppl hated that arc, but i kinda liked it.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Hmmm. While I loved the Ultimate Spider-man game from a few years ago, this is a little under-whelming.

They could've gone with Spectacular Spider-ham (spider-man as a pig), Indian Spider-man, Japanese Spider-man (complete with giant robot a la Power Rangers), the six armed Spider-man, mangaverse Spider-man, Ben Reilly, zombie version, and more. They could have made some more creative decisions, but what the hell, it could be good.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
I suppose this final unveil is a bit underwhelming, but I'm optimistic. I agree - the reboot of the Ultimate universe was the worst thing to happen to it. It was so fun, fresh, and exciting, and the new books have lost a lot of that flair. (ESPECIALLY the Ultimate Spider-Man book.)

I agree that 1602 would have been awesome! Now that it's occurred to me, I will miss it, though I must admit I did not read those stories, and so I don't know how exactly Spidey was different other than his setting.

Hey, how awesome would it have been to play as a Spidey on Iron Man's side during Civil War, with the awesome Iron Spider suit and the extra powers from his coming back to life?