Zero Punctuation: No More Heroes

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
No More Heroes

This week on Zero Punctuation, Yahtzee reviews No More Heroes. Vote for The Escapist at The Webbys People's Voice Awards [http://pv.webbyawards.com]!

Watch Video

MightyMouse

Dec 24, 2007
There's a 100% negative correlation between liking sarcastic marmite and liking sarcastic westerns. Also making your own chutney is so much more awesome than branston pickle.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
David Cat said:
Ah... we haven't had one of these in a while. I missed seeing in action the adjectives "swift" and "fierce" as relates to banning. Anyway, it's good to know that someone else out there actually liked Killer 7. It sounds like No More Heroes doesn't pull off the whole mind-f*** thing as well as K7 but I think I'm going to pick it up anyway...as soon as I can find a freakin' Wii

renard

Feb 5, 2008
I think it wasn't the best one but it's still funny...
I love the begining when the music cuts out and yahtzee says "no, not, It's too obvious"

NeoSpriggan

Dec 5, 2007
Ive been debating whether or not to get this game, but now that i have the reccomendation of the god-like Yahtzee, it is now a must buy!

Watershed

Dec 10, 2007
Haha, I just got no more heroes last week and he's definately right about the random superpowers thing. You'll slice through a huge number of enemies, lose most your health only for the last enemy to give you slo mo or random instant violent death mode. Frustrating. Still a very good game though, and one of the few Wii games I can recommend as a 1 player experience.

And I reckon mr David Cat will be banned quite soon. :p

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Good lord. Pretty good.
My theory of a Smash review this week is hopelessly dashed to pieces.

Anyone find the escapist plugging for votes here a tad irritating? I mean, I did it anyway, but still.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I was hoping to see a no More Heroes review (what with Rock Band still a glimmer on the horizon and likely to cost an amount I'd be better off using as a downpayment on someplace to live in the every skyrocketing Sydney real estate market) especially since I've seen/read/heard so many mixed responses. Bajo and Junglist of Good Game didn't think much of it, but I put as much faith in their reviews as I put in any Michael Pachter prediction more complicated than "Halo 3 will sell a million in its first week".
Everyone I know personally who's played it spent a week raving about it possibly due to the sheer thrill of having something to do with their Wii before going back to Call of Duty 4 over XBox Live.
So this review was overall reasonably informative, at least for me. From day one this game was only meant to appeal to massive nerds such as myself who like bright colours and think owning a lightsaber would be seven shades of fucking sweet. As long as it succeeds in that regard then why not?

KaynSlamdyke

Dec 7, 2007
I bought this for my brother's birthday present last week. And he loved it to pieces as I knew he would, despite the inevitable complaint about the differences between the Euro and Yankee versions (ie, the lack of red particle effects, for which I shouted at him for).

I also told my friend last week while waiting for the ZP! review that it HAD to be No More Heroes, since the only game I could think of being released since the Zack and Wiki review was Gran Turismo Prologue. He promptly pointed out to me that despite Yahtzee being at the bottom of the barrel (as people here put it in the ZP!:Z&W thread) he wouldn't do two Wii reviews in a row no matter how awesome the psychotic hackyslashy game would be

Damn him being right and damn me for being a week early with my predictions. Next week, I'm guessing Viking (and I'm guessing I'll be wrong despite that, since who can review two hackyslashy games in a row?). It will not however be Rock Band, as we still have no PAL version unlike you damn Americans. <3

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Glad to see he finally got it. Yes the game isnt perfect, but you will never find a game like it. Love the Suda 51 origin story

Luftmensch

Apr 9, 2008
I have to say, I'm proud of you. All my sentiments exactly. Perhaps we're due for a retrospective of Killer7, which was certainly flawed and did get me a bad rap with my conservative christian family when I happened to play Cloudman around them but overall was a very worthwhile experience. Perhaps they both have precisely Zero replay value (unless you count Hopper7), but No More Heroes is indeed one of my favorite games in the past, oh, decade.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I love you Yahtzee! You're the shit! I'm so glad you enjoyed the game as much as I did. This is one of those reviews that I really enjoy because I agree with everything you say. I agree the game isn't perfect, but it's still a great buy!

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
Uszi said:
My theory of a Smash review this week is hopelessly dashed to pieces.
And will probably remain that way until June at the earliest. Gawd bless Nintendo and their EU/Aus/NZ release dates.