Comic Con 2010: Michelle Rodriguez Is a Big Time Gamer

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Comic Con 2010: Michelle Rodriguez Is a Big Time Gamer

Michelle Rodriguez, from LOST and Avatar fame, clearly plays a lot of videogames.

Let me begin by saying that I think I'm in love with Michelle Rodriguez. I mean, I've always liked her roles before, but her appearance at a panel promoting Columbia Pictures' Battle: Los Angeles kind of blew me away. You may have seen Rodriguez play Ana Lucia in LOST or the pilot Trudy Chacon from Avatar, but she's appeared in many tough girl roles ever since Girlfight in 2000. She didn't come out and explicitly state that she is gamer, but it was clear from how she described situations and told little stories that she spends a huge part of her time with a controller in hand.

The first clue was when she was talking about the military training she went through to prepare for her role in Battle: Los Angeles, the plot of which follows a marine platoon as it weaves its way through a city invaded by aliens. "I learned how to take apart an MC4 in under a minute. With a pen," she said. "You don't learn that from Modern Warfare."

Later, Rodriguez described her reaction to being screened a forty minute portion of Battle: Los Angeles, which if what we saw at the panel is any indication is very visceral and suspense-filled. "I grabbed an imaginary Xbox controller and tried to move out of the way," she said, mimicking the movement with her hands.

Rodriguez gave props to the director, Jonathan Liebesman, for shooting the movie in such a "first man shooter" style. "I think that there's a lot of influence in our generation from videogames," Liebesman said. "Embedded war footage is very first person so the movie does feel a bit like Modern Warfare, a bit like Halo."

Playing physical roles isn't a problem for her, she said that she gravitates towards characters who use their physicality without losing femininity. But again, her gamerness started to show. "Playing a tech sergeant was the hard part because I had to geek out a bit. I'm used to doing that in my spare time, not when I'm working."

As if Rodriguez's predilection towards geekery wasn't enough to make me fall in love with her, she made me laugh out loud with a gem that I'll remember for a while. An audience member asked whether, despite Rodriguez's reputation for playing a kickass females, she ever thought of playing a role in a romcom or something more dramatic. She responded, "What, you mean like get raped and win an Oscar?"

How can you not love a girl with a mouth like that?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Only downside is that she's a walking room full of crazy. Been arrested a few times for various petty scuffles.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
SimuLord said:
Only downside is that she's a walking room full of crazy. Been arrested a few times for various petty scuffles.
Yeah...and she has a nasty tendency to end up dead in her roles. Bit of a downer, really, not usually being alive to see the end of the movie. But hey, who knows, maybe she'll survive this next flick...

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Lets face it...she is exactly who we all want to date. She sure is pretty, Got a mouth on her so that will probally be fun, Can game...(+10 points) and lets face it.....we dont really have to defend her. she might kick there ass first before we can get off the chair...AND a good actress. Thumbs up in my book

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Okay, she's hot and she plays games.
I know that shouldn't be impressive, but god damn, it does make her hotter.
Curse my predictable nerdy brain!

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
SimuLord said:

I think that makes her hotter.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
SimuLord said:
.. That makes me want her even more, damnit!

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
God, it's amazing how quickly one newspiece turns everybody horny.

I do like her as an actor, though, and that last line is pretty awesome.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
yea...except he is crazy. She will get hammered and mess yo ass up. Her rap sheet might be longer than her filmography.

I've been waiting for that movie since I first saw it on IMDB back in 2009!

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
i like her
she should play someone in the Mass effect movie i think
the only scheduled Video game movie im looking forward to
maybe Ashley

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
She's an alright actress, certainly better for game-adaptation films and the like. As for Battle: Los Angeles, I've never heard of it, but an FPS-perspective certainly piques my interest.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I like this chick, she's got a tough attitude, she's hot and she plays games.
It doesn't hurt that she's also an okay actress.

My kind of girl really, shame the odds of us hooking up are very low.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Very much liking this actress. She's attractive, she's got acting chops, she's tough, and she plays video games. What's not to like?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
unholyavenger13 said:
i like her
she should play someone in the Mass effect movie i think
the only scheduled Video game movie im looking forward to
maybe Ashley
huh. I actually agree with this, as she'd fit the bill pretty damn well.

OT: I've actually never been THAT big a fan of her acting, as I thought she just seems to play the same person in every movie/show. (just like Will Ferrel). I did like her character in LOST, though, and I could support her playing Ashley in the ME movie. Though if she does-
You just KNOW that the movie's Shephard will pick Kaiden over her at the cloning facility. Let's face it, she HAS to die in everything she's in

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Now if she can prove it by getting a nuke then I will fall madly in love with her, either that or she gets a better K/D ratio than me.