Harmonix Responds to European Rock Band Pricing Uproar

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Harmonix Responds to European Rock Band Pricing Uproar

Rock Band [http://www.harmonixmusic.com/]for its European release, which will be selling for more than double the U.S. cost.

The GamesIndustry [http://www.xbox.com], but the game itself will have to be purchased separately for an additional cost of €69.99 ($111). The Rock Band bundle, which includes the game and all instruments, sells for $169.99 (€108) in the U.S.

Responding to the widespread and highly critical reaction, Rock Band lead designer Rob Kay told Value Added Tax [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131029] and generally higher prices of electronics in the U.K. as factors in the cost. "These are definitely not excuses so much as contributing reasons," he said.

"The combined price, if you add all that up and decide you want that full experience, is quite high. It's not something that is normal in videogames," he said. "But Rock Band isn't normal in videogames. This is an entirely new thing. What other game comes with three peripherals that are all different? It just makes sense for the experience we're trying to deliver."

Kay said he couldn't discuss specific pricing because he's not aware of those details, but he did point out that gamers have the option to buy the instruments or microphone singly. "I firmly believe that if people do (buy the game) they'll have an amazing experience they couldn't get anywhere else."

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
I feel sorry for the European community for having to pay 87% VAT on items such as Rock Band. That's rather steep, even for free medical malpractice. A lot of the cost hike seems to be in the actual game disk itself. If the "Instrument Edition" is 2 guitars, 1 drums, and 1 microphone the its price is fair, but I'm assuming that it's going to be 1 guitar instead of 2.

Software and video game hardware are generally more expensive after crossing the pond (usually not double) but recognize that any versions of the game other than those for Xbox 360 and sold in America have a distinct "Awww, mom, do we haaaavvee to?" attitude with Harmonix.

EDIT: 87% is not exactly fair. $184.03 is what I payed after taxes for the bundle. $316 is what Europeans are paying for theirs (assuming no taxes on top of the advertised amount). 72%. Also I read that the bundle is not 2 guitars, just 1 like the US bundle. EA are the distributors so it is likely that they set the price. The silent giant simply stays behind closed doors while it lets Harmonix do PR for it. Maybe EA really lost their butts on the US release and don't want it to happen again?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Frederf said:
I feel sorry for the European community for having to pay 87% VAT on items such as Rock Band.
UK VAT is 17.5%, whilst US SBT is (usually) around 13% or a bit less. so to say VAT and import cost is worth doubling the price is complete crap. Even putting the VAT on top of the US tax wouldn't double it.
Importing from the US is cheap and elecronics prices are only high because companies ALWAYS make their pricing artificially high here.

The Distributors/developers know that in europe they can charge what they like and no-one will call them out on it. For whatever reason (nudge nudge wink wink give the minister a new Mercedes...).

DarkHyth

Apr 10, 2008
This is why importing the game from the US when it came out was a good idea... that way, you get it around the same time the americans do, as opposed to 6 months+ later, and now it turns out it's actually cheaper!

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
Maybe for the PS3 (which still hasn't got an EU release date), but the X-Box is region locked so you'd need a US one. And this is assuming the instruments hold up, which I wouldn't want to bet on.

"The combined price, if you add all that up and decide you want that full experience, is quite high. It's not something that is normal in videogames," he said. "But Rock Band isn't normal in videogames. This is an entirely new thing. What other game comes with three peripherals that are all different?"
The American Rock Band maybe?

devilondemand

Dec 14, 2007
I find it hard to believe that many people will pay this much. For a similar price you could buy a Wii, or like... 4 other games. Or 3 copies of Guitar Hero...

jlaakso

Jul 14, 2006
We were quite prepared to pay whatever it took, but this is too high. Luckily the 360 Guitar Hero III's Les Pauls we already have are far superior instruments and work very well with Rock Band and I already have a USB mic, thus I just need the drums and the game. But those alone total 160 ? - not exactly great value for money. It makes me look into importing the drums, if I can find a retailer willing to ship to Europe.