Review: Crackdown 2

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: Crackdown 2

Make things go boom in exceedingly pleasing ways.

Read Full Article

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Wow, I am actually quite surprised this received such a glowing review. I suppose once I get past the whole "Its practically the first game made over blah-blah-blah", it starts to shine on its own, although said shine may be crimson tinted with the blood of your foes.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Nice video supplement. You sir are one of the few people here who REALLY enjoy making those vids!

LOVED Crackdown spent literally hours jumping over the entire map running people down and of course murdering tons of yakuza or russians or whatever.

Will definately be giving this a look but do have some backlog to wotrk through and I cant see me missing much in terms of plot spoilers

BOOM!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Okay, one major problem with this game. The first Crackdown was one of my absolute favorites, but this was a huge letdown to me, and it wasn't mentioned in the review, which it certainly should be.

It even took me a whole minute to figure this out, but in Crackdown 2, you are in the exact same city as the first one. Sure, it's a little torn up, and some locations have blockades creating a different atmosphere at times. But if you played the first, you'll find yerself recognizing so many places, that it kinda kills the novelty of a 2nd Crackdown game. Sure, I understand. It's where the Agency is located, and to continue the story from the last, it makes sense (since there never was any closure, and there doesn't appear to be any mention of the last ending from where I'm at in the game). But it's still a disappointment.

Also, that whole superman mentality is clearly shot down as soon as you end up in areas with rocket launchers. Those things home in on you, and fire so fast that if one hits you, you'll find yerself being juggled around for a while. This leads to extreme frustration. But, you can use those weapons too (and I certainly do), so it just makes you enter some areas a little more cautiously. Which, in itself, can be kind of a mood killer when yer leaping from building to building without a care in the world, but I suppose that's where the challenge comes in.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
CD1 > CD2.

CD2 really felt kind of dumbed down. The missions were all the same. The core elements of the game are the same as CD1, but it was boring just doing the exact same missions. I mean, CD1's missions weren't exactly the most varied fare I'd ever seen. But CD2 actually manages to be even LESS varied. Open control points, capture amps, releases beacons. Every section is the same as the last section. You don't get much of a challenge.

But CD2 is fun. This shit is fun. It's just not as good as CD1.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
It seems this game has a major emphasis on killing stuff. That is something I can get behind.

I am currently scouring eBay for a cheap copy. Damn being a near pennyless student.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
The most infuriating thing is getting knocked down by the charger freaks, you simply lay there all rag-dolled and useless, another charge will knock you down again (often while frantically trying get up) resetting the 'being useless timer', all while still being attacked! All you CAN do is mash 'A' hoping a gap appears in charger attacks.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wewt! Ive seen some of it been played on 4PP, and I have been fairly impressed by it so far!

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
I remember playing the first one a lot while singing the theme song to "The Tick"... If this one makes me do that again then I am sold

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meh... looks like an inferior version of Prototype.

Those open world kill-em-ups have a tendency to get boring fast, at least for me.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
My favorite aspect of Crackdown 2 is the wingsuit. I could spend forever just flying around. It's difficult to master but once you get it down, there's really no reason to drive anywhere anymore. It's way too fun to fly around. Now if only I could shoot from my wingsuit gliding...

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I really liked this particular review for some reason. It had me laughing quite a bit.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Not going to address the lack of local play? When did reviewers get desensitized to it?

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I'm surprised with the review and seeing this game has 4 stars. Other reviewers gave it a lower score due to this game having no story and doesn't add much to make it better than the prequel.

But hey, I don't own a 360 so I only know little about this game.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Awww I reviewed the game first! and no one cared. O well mine sucked. Any ways I love this game even though the main story sucks.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Or you can play prototype wuch makes all that a bit better but takes itself a bit too serious. Well considering the Zombie Apokalypse in Prototype... that could be a reason. ^.^