Doctor Who Games Teleport to International Audiences

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Doctor Who Games Teleport to International Audiences

PC gamers outside of the UK can now join the Doctor and Amy Pond on their journey through time and space.

Doctor Who fans outside of the British Isles have become accustomed to waiting longer than their UK brethren. The latest season featured the shortest wait ever, with episodes airing in the US only two weeks after the UK. Now, another one of those waits is over. A mere seven weeks after its UK debut, the first two episodes of Doctor Who: The Adventure Games are available for purchase internationally through digital distribution service Direct2Drive [http://www.direct2drive.com/2/9642/product/Buy-Doctor-Who:-The-Adventure-Games---Episode-1-and-2-Download].

Developed by Sumo Digital and published by BBC Wales Interactive, each Adventure Games episode fits in during the storyline of the latest Doctor Who season and features the voices and likeness of the show's stars, Matt Smith and Karen Gillen.

Although the Doctor Who games were free in the UK (as a result of the government-imposed tax that funds the BBC), Direct2Drive is charging $4.95 for a bundle containing both episodes. The digital distribution service currently has the bundle on sale for the impulse-worthy price of $3.70. Both PC and Mac versions of the games are available in their home territory. Direct2Drive is currently only selling the PC version, but it would be reasonable to assume that the Mac port will become available in the coming days.

The first Adventure Games episode opens with the Doctor coming to Earth only to find the human race extinct. He must warp to the home planet of his archenemies, the Daleks, and correct time and save humanity. The second episode brings the Doctor and Amy Pond to the Arctic, where members of a geological survey have begun to transform into deadly robotic warriors, known as Cybermen.

Two additional episodes are slated for release in the coming months in the UK. We should expect international releases of both after a similarly short delay.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.direct2drive.com/2/9642/product/Buy-Doctor-Who:-The-Adventure-Games---Episode-1-and-2-Download]

Apr 28, 2008
Well thats a lot cheaper then what I thought it was going to be.

Sweet, I'll have to pick these up!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
coldalarm said:
Oh dear, that's expensive for such little content.
At the end of the day, even us Brits still have to pay for these. We simply do so through the TV License, which every UK citizen who watches TV has to pay for regardless of whether or not we watch the BBC (who get the money). It's how they can offer us so many things for free. If the TV License wasn't around then we'd have to pay a few quid each to get these games too. And besides, I think the content is worth the price, it's nowhere near the price of even some DLC (it can be argued you spend more for less content than this even with Project Ten Dollar), so it's not really worth moaning about...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I really do like the show. I wonder if the games are worth the small fee?
Trivun said:
coldalarm said:
At the end of the day, even us Brits still have to pay for these. We simply do so through the TV License, which every UK citizen who watches TV has to pay for regardless of whether or not we watch the BBC (who get the money). It's how they can offer us so many things for free. If the TV License wasn't around then we'd have to pay a few quid each to get these games too. And besides, I think the content is worth the price, it's nowhere near the price of even some DLC (it can be argued you spend more for less content than this even with Project Ten Dollar), so it's not really worth moaning about...
Man, that sucks. If you have no interest in the BBC whatsoever, you still have to pay...

The free stuff can't be all that bad though.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Man, that sucks. If you have no interest in the BBC whatsoever, you still have to pay...
Well, BBC is the main channel over here, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like something on that channel, plus there is no adverts, so it's not too bad.

As for the games, I downloaded them and played them both, and to be honest, they aren't that good, I would only recommend them to serious fans of the show as the only good parts are the dialogue between the Doctor and Amy, and each episode would only take about 2 hours to complete.

Also, hate to be picky here, but the author of this article knows that the Doctor doesn't teleport, right?

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Redlin5 said:
I really do like the show. I wonder if the games are worth the small fee?
Trivun said:
coldalarm said:

The free stuff can't be all that bad though.

You don't have to pay a license fee if you prove you don't own a TV. You can still use most of the BBC's other services provided that you don't watch live TV on your computer. That's how they explained it to me when they got all pissy and searched my flat anyway lol.

Witty-Name

Jul 12, 2009
It's not as bad as it sounds really, plus it's per-household rather than per-person.

In my opinion it's a worthwhile sacrifice. The BBC is ad-free and compared to a most British TV feels like a lot better quality. Plus the tabloid newspapers (and any organisation owned by Rupert Murdoch) hate it, which personally I feel makes the fee worth it in itself.

That being said I can understand the resentment from people who don't use the BBC.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice to see its been extended to others now! They are fun lil games. Not too taxing but have some nice polit behind them!

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Witty-Name said:
It's not as bad as it sounds really, plus it's per-household rather than per-person.

In my opinion it's a worthwhile sacrifice. The BBC is ad-free and compared to a most British TV feels like a lot better quality. Plus the tabloid newspapers (and any organisation owned by Rupert Murdoch) hate it, which personally I feel makes the fee worth it in itself.

That being said I can understand the resentment from people who don't use the BBC.
And It's got pretty much the best, and least skewed towards entertainment news services in the world.

[EDIT] Does that link work for anyone else? I click and get diverted to the main page after an error that says this product is not available....

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Paddin said:
Also, hate to be picky here, but the author of this article knows that the Doctor doesn't teleport, right?
Well yes, but I was looking for a peppier verb for the headline.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
gregoryg said:
Paddin said:
Well yes, but I was looking for a peppier verb for the headline.
Ah fair enough, it makes it stand out so it works in that sense.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
gregoryg said:
Both PC and Mac versions of the games in their home territory.

The second episode brings the Doctor and Amy Pond to the Arctic, where members of a geological survey have become to transform into deadly robotic warriors, known as Cybermen.
You might want to revise those sentences, as there is clearly a word missing in the first one between "games" and "in", and "have become to transform" doesn't make any sense - they might "have started becoming" or "begun to transform", but as you wrote it, it's nonsense.

Grammar Nazi away! Whoosh!

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Trivun said:
I know how it works, I'm English ;)

I have both games so far, and I got maybe 30-40 mins each out of them. They're buggy, repetitive and a bit drab. Not really worth the asking price, even if it is low for the Americans.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Seroiusly, Don't bother! They are awful! Shocking! dreadful! Little better or more complex than puzzle games for 5 year olds! Don't waste your money, they are crap!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
coldalarm said:
Trivun said:
I know how it works, I'm English ;)

I have both games so far, and I got maybe 30-40 mins each out of them. They're buggy, repetitive and a bit drab. Not really worth the asking price, even if it is low for the Americans.
Ah, fair enough. From what you posted I thought you were from the USA. My bad :p

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
If these games had been released five years earlier, I might actually be interested in them.

As it is, I've never played them, and don't plan to. The asking price doesn't look too bad though.