EA Los Angeles Becomes Danger Close

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Los Angeles Becomes Danger Close

EA Los Angeles, the studio behind the reboot of the Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Limited-Pc/dp/B002ZJPYHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279903928&sr=8-3] franchise, has been renamed to Danger Close.

"Danger Close." It sounds like the name of a developmental league professional wrestler who's about to be smashed over the head with a flimsy garbage pail in a vicious surprise attack by his dark-hearted nemesis, Cheeseball Fantastico. Seriously, "Danger Close?" Is that actually supposed to mean something, or is it just meant to sound macho?

Apparently it does mean something. "When an individual is calling in for danger close fire, it's the decision to take a chance, rather than sit back and call in from afar," Medal of Honor Executive Producer Greg Goodrich told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29562/EALA_Medal_Of_Honor_Team_Dons_New_Studio_Name_Danger_Close.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]. "For our team, 'danger close' is about pushing the boundaries and taking chances on telling a story we felt needed to be told. It may be controversial, but we felt it needed to be told, and we're telling it with respect and authenticity, to shine a light on these guys."

"These guys" are the soldiers who fought in Afghanistan invasion of 2001, the conflict upon which the new game will be based. Goodrich compared the studio's renaming to the decision to move the Medal of Honor series out of the Second World War and into a more modern conflict. "It's a refresh. It's an opportunity," he said. "It's a way to get our own identity."

Yet at the same time, he claimed that the studio didn't really need to be "reinvigorated" because it feels like it already has been. "The deeper meaning of Danger Close is, that, yeah, we got through those times, but we've come out of it," he continued, presumably referring to the lean years in which the Medal of Honor series was rendered largely irrelevant by Activision's Call of Duty [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=%22Modern+Warfare+2%22&x=0&y=0&ih=13_2_1_1_0_1_0_0_0_1.18_95&fsc=-1] games. "We've got a great game we feel is going to do well."

As for Danger Close, Goodrich said a few names had been kicked around but that the final decision was made while senior creative director Rich Farley was playing the new game. "We heard one of our characters, Jimmy Patterson - the grandson of Jimmy Patterson from the World War II era of Medal of Honor - scream out, 'Danger close! Danger close fire!'" he explained. "We said, 'I think Jimmy Patterson just told us what to name our studio.'"

I still think it sounds silly. Medal of Honor is scheduled to come out on October 12 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
How topical! Well, I doubt a change of name will do much for them, but, whatever floats there boat!

oranger

May 27, 2008
Lemme guess, "Danger Close" also has acquired a bunch of new employees, shat out by the behemoth after digesting some of those studios it ate?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, given that Penny Arcade named the dog from "Dragon Age: Origins" "Barkspawn" while criticizing them, and that was apparently the "official" name used in the "Darkspawn Chronicles" when you had to kill it, I seriously hope somehow they will work the name "Cheeseball Fantastico" into "Danger Close" somehow it if is ever released with that title.

I mean, just to see that presented... it has such an awesome ring. :/

Maybe it will be a "Street Fighter V" character if "Danger Close" passes on it. El Fuerte needs more rivals or else he'll never catch up to Ken Masters.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
"It may be controversial, but we felt it needed to be told, and we're telling it with respect and authenticity, to shine a light on these guys."

I think there's something hidden in those lines... maybe:

"It may be a rip-off, but we felt we needed to make a cow cash milking for the COD "fans", and we're copying it with respect and authenticity, to shine a light on these guys."

Yeah, right. Name it Medal of Duty Honor: Bad Battlefield Warfare Company and then we may talk.

May 25, 2010
When I saw the title of the article, I honestly thought that EA LA was going to close or something, which now that I think about it doesn't make much sense, but whatever.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Isn't Danger Close when a team is too close to a target that's going to be bombed?

And it doesn't sound that bad to me.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Better than "No we are not Copying Modern Warfare in any Way" Studios.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
It also invites hilarious headlines. They'd better not ever be in "danger" of having to "close" or else the media will have a OMGLMFAOgasm. I, for one, hope I miss that.

It's almost as ill-advised as calling your brand new studio something completely arrogant, like Flagship.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
Am I the only one who thought of all of the millions of times they said 'Danger Close' in MW2?

And doesn't the multiplayer on their game play and look exactly like BC2, because it was developed by DICE?

And won't the average Call of Duty fan (Because that's the only target audience this kind of thing CAN shoot for) not care about the single player, even if it does depict real stuff instead of "H0lY sh1T RuSSi4nz!"?

I don't have that much faith in these guys.