Pachter: Xbox 360 Needs a Price Cut

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Pachter: Xbox 360 Needs a Price Cut

Consumers are waiting for the Xbox 360's price to drop, says Pachter, and sticking with the current price is hurting sales.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes that in order to maintain Xbox 360 sales at their current levels, Microsoft will have to rethink its "stubborn" pricing and drop the price of the console below $299. Commenting on Microsoft's recent financial statement which showed an 8% drop in sales, Pachter said that until Microsoft cut the price, it would continue to see sales decline.

He didn't think that sales had dropped to a point that would compel Microsoft to make the 360 cheaper yet, but said that it would happen eventually: "I don't think that this is a problem for them, as long as sales remain near current levels," he said. "When they drop by more than 10 - 20%, we'll see a price cut to spur sales."

Pachter said that the 360's $299 price point was a barrier and that although Microsoft was offering consumers more and more for their money, the price of the console had remained the same for two years, and people were waiting for a price drop. "I don't think that there are many consumer products that sell more each year without a price cut," he said.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=257003]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Well, I think this was obvious the moment the told us it would cost us $300. Hopefully, for those who like the idea of Kinect, it will drop in price soon.

Just another reason why I like Nintendo.

[sub]Microsoft eats enough of my income as it is whenever they make a better OS and stop supporting their old OS's...[/sub]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What will Pachter's next wonderous prediction be? Perhaps that many people are angry at Kinect's pricing and that they too are waiting for a price drop? Oh how insightful he is!

Honestly, this man's crap isn't worth the virtual paper the it's written on. He either tells us the obvious or is completely and utterly wrong.

Jun 15, 2009
I hate how the escapist always puts out Pachter's most obvious statements into 'news articles'. He has plenty of good things to say in his Gametrailers spot every week but I don't know, do you guys just do it for the lols? I remember he predicted the Xbox 360 Slim just DAYS before it was released at E3, but you didnt care to mention that, did you?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I'm getting rather tired of hearing from Pachter. Aren't there any other worthless "analysts" that we can laugh at.

Chesterfield Snapdragon McFisticuffs said:
Xbox 360 Slim
It's S. Xbox 360 S. Just because Sony makes new versions of their consoles and calls them "Slim" doesn't mean Microsoft does too.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Getting a bit sick of this blatency, whats next Pachter? - "Study reveals that the Xbox 360 will require an electrical input in order to function"

Ok, ok, extreme example, but you get the drift.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Chesterfield Snapdragon McFisticuffs said:
I hate how the escapist always puts out Pachter's most obvious statements into 'news articles'. He has plenty of good things to say in his Gametrailers spot every week but I don't know, do you guys just do it for the lols? I remember he predicted the Xbox 360 Slim just DAYS before it was released at E3, but you didnt care to mention that, did you?
Except people were constantly suggesting there'd be a 'slim' 360, for the past four and a half years. Pachter included. It was about the tenth time he'd said it. He had to be right eventually.

Here, I'll make some Pachter-level predictions of my own:

Microsoft will continue to release Halo games.
We can expect to see new consoles announced by Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo at some point in the future.
Lower prices will increase unit sales.

Holy shit, I'm an industry analyst!

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I dunno, usually I agree with Patcher...but on this...if Microsoft and Sony want a ten year life cycle from their consoles, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they are not going to be able to keep consistantly high sales figures...

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Generic_Dave said:
I dunno, usually I agree with Patcher...but on this...if Microsoft and Sony want a ten year life cycle from their consoles, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they are not going to be able to keep consistantly high sales figures...
Agreed this why there going ultra casual to explore new markets

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"and although Microsoft was offering consumers more and more for their money..."
Hahaha no, it offers people the joy of a faulty ventilation system.

Silent Eagle

Mar 11, 2010
Well whatever the story,I'm not paying another 300$ for a fucking rectangle thats just going to RRoD in 3 months and then wait another 2. Hell I've been through 4 of'em already and now they want an additional 100+ dollars to "fix" what the fucked up 4 times already? Ummm no. Thats Microsoft's half-assed nature trying to save a buck in productions..
"Non-lead based solder"? Wtf?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Silent Eagle said:
Solder traditionally was a lead-tin mix. The electronics industry has been eliminating lead from the solder it uses to make electrical connections for the past 10 or 15 years. This was to reduce lead poisoning both in the industry and in the market. Now they use non-lead tin alloys to get similar melting-flow-cooling properties. Unfortunately, one of the benefits of lead was the elimination of "tin whiskers" that can cause shorts. This is the current "big issue" in solder chemistry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Silent Eagle said:
Well whatever the story,I'm not paying another 300$ for a fucking rectangle thats just going to RRoD in 3 months and then wait another 2. Hell I've been through 4 of'em already and now they want an additional 100+ dollars to "fix" what the fucked up 4 times already? Ummm no. Thats Microsoft's half-assed nature trying to save a buck in productions..
Lead-based solder is nigh-illegal in most of the world. Even where legal, there are issues with disposal.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Gutted to deal in dollars. Its £200 here, and thats brilliantly cheap considering.

Once I get a new telly, this is next.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
So I can get 120 gb PS3 for 299. Or I can get a 250 gb 360 for 299. But the 360 needs a price drop? Really? I guess that extra 120 gbs is valued in the negatives.