YouTube Videos Hide Secret Reptillian Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
YouTube Videos Hide Secret Reptillian Game

If waiting for YouTube videos to load bores you, now the website features a hidden videogame to play.

It's been discovered that a videogame is embedded inside certain videos on YouTube. Now the site's visitors can play a game of Snake while they watch overweight children get demeaned by their peers.

It looks like the game is a recent addition as nobody seems to have noticed it before. Details are a little shaky but it seems the game can only be played in videos where the progress bar "pops up" when moused over. You can make the game appear by clicking on a video to activate it, then holding the left arrow key. After completing these complicated tasks, a series of linked dots appears, which is the "snake."

The video cannot be embedded: You must go to the actual video page to play the game. It was first thought that the video had to be in the gaming category, but this isn't the case. Just click on the proper type of video, hold left, and voila. YouTube Snake is a little lame, but it probably had to be to remain unobtrusive.

Snake is played with the arrow keys. Players move the snake around to collect the flashing dots endlessly. Every time the snake eats a dot, it gets longer, making the snake harder to maneuver without hitting the wall or itself, which results in a game over.

Back in May, Google added a playable version of Pac-Man to its logo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100825-Google-Celebrates-Pac-Mans-30th-With-Playable-Logo]. Google owns YouTube. Does Google want videogames to be part of everything it has its billion-dollar hands in? Let's hope so.

Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5595707/youtube-easter-egg-lets-you-play-snake]

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I wish I knew why I love things like this, I really do but it makes no sense. I can see myself spending alot of time not watching videos on youtube while on youtube for awhile now.

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Just tried it, and it seems to work on videos from any other category too. It's hard to take Trevor McDonald seriously when several linked dots are flying around his head.
For Google's next videogame tie-in, I say they do Galaga or Dig Dug. Either one of those would be interesting.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
my record is 3 points, annoying how it rewinds the video though.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
It's pretty underwhelming. Also it appears I can't play the game while the video is playing.

I prefer the depth of Google Pacman.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
This is like some weird matrix type shit. Like if you play it long enough, you'll be contacted by some creepy weirdo.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
cjbos81 said:
This is like some weird matrix type shit. Like if you play it long enough, you'll be contacted by some creepy weirdo.
that reminds me of a south park episode where heaven wants kenny dead so that he can defeat hell's army and he got chosen because he got a high score on a game
imnotparanoid said:
my record is 3 points, annoying how it rewinds the video though.
I got 4

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
I have to say that is extremly cool.
The skip back is kinda annoying but I can see that entertaining me while I wait for a video to load.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
Interesting but I imagine it would get boring quickly.

Heighten the pitch of this guy's voice and it's Cartman :D especially from 0:05 to 0:13