Brazil Bans Bully

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brazil Bans Bully

A judge in Brazil has banned the sale of Bully [http://www.rockstargames.com], saying the game was inappropriate for children.

Judge Flavio Rabello said the game could not be imported, distributed, sold or promoted in the country, following a request for a ban from a local youth support center. State prosecutor Alcindo Bastos said retailers would have 30 days to comply with the order, adding that while JPF Maggazine is the primary distributor of Bully in Brazil, all software companies in the country would have to stop dealing with the game "because our intent is to ban the game, not the distributor."

According to Judge Rabello, the biggest factor in the decision to ban the game was its setting: Bully takes place at the Bullworth Academy, a fictional boarding school in the New England area. "The aggravating factor is that everything in the game takes place inside a school," the judge said. "This is not acceptable." Bully is rated T (Teen) by the PEGI [http://www.esrb.org].

Take-Two Interactive [http://www.take2games.com/] spokesman Edward Nebb expressed regret that the decision will "prevent Brazilian consumers from enjoying Bully: Scholarship Edition," but said the ban would have no material impact on the sales of the games.

In January, Brazil EverQuest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80757], claiming the games were "harmful to consumers' health" and adding they encouraged "the subversion of public order, were an attack against the democratic state and the law and against public securty."

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Wow. I actually hadn't noticed how active Brazil's higher echelons are with this whole anti-videogame movement. I mean, even this is going too far; the Harry Potter games feature huge amounts of violence in the school setting, yet they go totally ignored? Perhaps its because they receive less press attention and all, but legally they should be on the same playing (no pun intended) field as highly hyped titles such as Bully. Such inconsistency does nothing but point out the flaws in a semi-censored gaming society under the rule of the media, and the lack of sense in Brazil's own law system. Still, I don't live there so I can't exactly complain too much.

vfn4i83

Apr 11, 2008
This judge is out of his mind, abusing of power to make such decision. Every decision of him against games has no discusion with the comunities.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
HalfShadow said:
Eh; it's not like it's a real country, anyway.
Wait... You're Canadian. Have you seen the South Park episode? "Blame Canada" used the same logic.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Easykill said:
HalfShadow said:
Wait... You're Canadian. Have you seen the South Park episode? "Blame Canada" used the same logic.
Yeah. But South Park showed Brazil in its first season (I think) and totally ripped on it. It just jokes around with Canada, because we all know everyone loves Canada.

Its rated 16+...that means people younger than 16 shouldn't play it. So why do older people (especially adult gamers) have to suffer because some kid's parents are too stupid to watch what their children do? This is one thing I've noticed: Adult gamers seemed to get screwed over a lot because governments and parents are too lazy to take care of what younger people do.

steveo_justice

Apr 4, 2008
Kogarian said:
Easykill said:
HalfShadow said:
Yeah. But South Park showed Brazil in its first season (I think) and totally ripped on it. It just jokes around with Canada, because we all know everyone loves Canada.

Its rated 16+...that means people younger than 16 shouldn't play it. So why do older people (especially adult gamers) have to suffer because some kid's parents are too stupid to watch what their children do? This is one thing I've noticed: Adult gamers seemed to get screwed over a lot because governments and parents are too lazy to take care of what younger people do.
Yes, but the point still stands; no one cares about Brazil. It could just dissapear off the map and no one would even notice, except for me, becuse I would have to do this bulshit on Brazil for a humanities report.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
This spells trouble, guys. We all know what a huge impact Brazil has on the games industry and world politics.

Melty Blood

Dec 22, 2007
I think Brazil knows they can get away with anything so long as the don't ban any games begining with "Street" and ending with "Fighter".

(Huzzah for stereotypes)