Street Fighter III Coming to a (Live) Arcade Near You

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Street Fighter III Coming to a (Live) Arcade Near You

Capcom is harnessing the power of the internet to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to Street Fighter 3: Third Strike.

As if Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and the recently announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102342-Namco-Capcom-Crossover-Confirmed-at-Comic-Con] Street Fighter X Tekken weren't enough to get fighting fans excited, Capcom is re-releasing the much loved Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike as a downloadable title, presumably on Xbox Live and PSN.

Speaking at Comic-Con, Capcom producer Yoshinoro Ono announced Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition, saying that he hadn't forgotten the Street Fighter III series and intended to bring it back.

He added that gamers shouldn't expect the game in the near future, as Capcom wanted to take its time with it. Interestingly, Ono also said that if fans had anything they would like to see in the game, they should tell Capcom Unity's Seth Killian, which suggests that this isn't just a straight port.

3rd Strike was released in 1999, and was the third iteration of the Street Fighter III series. It has been released on consoles before, both as a standalone game and as part of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Street Fighter III was also the game that introduced characters like Dudley and Ibuki, who have since appeared in Super Street Fighter IV.

Capcom seems keen on making its older fighting games available for download. It seems just a matter of time before the Alpha series makes its way to PSN and XBLA as well.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180567]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Dear Capcom,

You're awesome. Please bring back "Power Stone" next.

Best wishes,
Onyx

Woem

May 28, 2009
Since Street Fighter Alpha 3 is available for a really long time already on PSN, I wonder what the difference is between Third Strike and Alpha 3?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats awesome! I love it! Cant wait for it to be released!

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Woem said:
Since Street Fighter Alpha 3 is available for a really long time already on PSN, I wonder what the difference is between Third Strike and Alpha 3?
They are two completely different games ;-)

Alpha 3 is the 3rd edition of 'Street Fighter Alpha' (the prequel to Street Fighter and Street Fighter 2).
Third Strike is the 3rd edition of 'Street Fighter 3'. Except for some fighters the cast, stages and music is completely different.

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Dear Capcom,

You're awesome. Please bring back "Power Stone" next.

Best wishes,
Onyx
Read my thoughts.

Yeah, Capcom. You have been awesome lately, keep it up by bringing back Power Stone, and you will make me a very, very, very happy man.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Woem said:
Alpha 3 and SF3: Third Strike are entirely different games and story sagas.

Both had their completely different art styles, Alpha was a bit more anime oriented while Third Strike (and the whole SF3 series) were a bit less of "anime-ish", but also retaining that japanese SF feel to it.

On the graphics side, SF3 had WAY better and smoother sprites than the Alpha series, watching Ibuki's costume moving every inch in the wind is a nice sight, also making every attack sexy and smooth as silk, much like SFIV, but with 2D sprites.

Also, the first SF3 only had 2 recognizable characters, being Ryu and Ken while the entire cast was made of completely different and new characters, then Capcom threw in more new characters and some more familiar faces in Third Strike (making it the best of the whole SF3 series).

Alpha had, from the begining, both new and familiar faces. But the main differences rely on the gameplay itself. Alpha relied a lot more on building the bar and throwing powerful attacks and insane combos, while SF3 has a bit more of a "martial art" feel to it, making it a bit harder to get into at first, but also a bit more rewarding, as every attack, punch, kick and Hadoken counted, making it feel a bit "King of Fighter-ish".

To me, SFIV is way better than SF3, but it's an interesting game to play. If it's not too expensive, I may get it on the XBLA.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I wish I wasn't poor and I wish I could get Gold. I've been watching SF3 videos and it looks like a ton of fun compared to SF4. I would still have fun with SF4, but having either would be pointless if I can't play online. My brothers are terrible at fighting games.