Capcom Upping Production on Major Titles

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Upping Production on Major Titles

Capcom's big hitters will be coming thick and fast in the future as the company unveils plans to double its major releases.

Capcom plans to increase the number of big games it releases from major franchises like Resident Evil from two a year to three or four. Capcom's goal is to try and stabilize its sales and avoid drops in earnings by releasing more software over the course of the year.

In order to maintain that level of output, Capcom plans to outsource much of the development duties to other studios, primarily in Europe and North America. Capcom hopes that this use of external resources will also let it cut its development time down from four years to just two or three.

It's much too early to call this news either good or bad, as a lot will depend on how it's implemented, which studios are involved and a whole host of other factors. It's entirely possible - and quite likely - that it will be better for some games than others. But while there's a lot to be cautious about here, there's also a lot of very interesting things that could come of this, and for some franchises, this might be the best thing that has ever happened.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/27/capcom_resident_evil_output/]

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
It worries me that they may begin to up production. I hope they don't think quantity>quality. I believe that's be proven untrue.
I would like to see more Resi games, but just please make them good.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Here's a thought: instead of pushing old IP's ... MAKE A NEW ONE. Still, if they don't milk franchises and keep the sequels respectable, then I guess this could turn out okay.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Cutting production time to two years is cutting it fine. If Capcom thinks a bunch of half arsed rapid efforts will help, they're wrong (Sonic Team comes to mind). They'd better keep the quality up if they want to cut the time down. Most consumers will catch on to a name they can't rely on.

Dec 14, 2009
I hope that means more Monster Hunter games for the Wii. Those things are like crack cocaine for my tiny dino killing mind.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
It's an interesting idea, splitting up the labor for a AAA title over a few different studios. I hope it works out.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Hmm...more outsorcing usually means that the name associated will be viewed as a mixed bag rather than one to rely upon.

Still...if they hope to come across reliable partners with their outsorcing and focus on the ones, with whom they find to have a good relationship and steady profits, who knows...might indeed work. Either way it's a risk, but an understandable one I guess.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well. Ive always liked Capcop titles for the most part...I just hope it wont sacrifice quality in this ramp up

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I would like to see more Resi Evil games except I would like to see Barry and Rebecca Chambers be the main characters in it, or even HUNK

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Just make more god damn Devil May Cry's, we're tired of shooting stupid mutant zombies with a camera that is so close to your character that he hides half the screen..

Weofparadigm

Jul 12, 2010
It's all well and good to announce upping production but that inevitably means that one or two of those 4 games a year will be awful or at least not up to snuff.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
um...okay

well if the creativity bucket is empty, just re-release Resident Evil 4 for XBLA and PSN (or via special edition with Resident Evil 6...66 for added evilness) to really boost sales