Nintendo Explains Legend of Zelda's New Look

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Explains Legend of Zelda's New Look

Skyward Sword's "water color" art style was chosen because it makes the game better, says producer Eiji Aonuma.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's cel-shaded look is about more than just looking pretty, says Aonuma, it's designed to help you play the game by showing off the exaggerated characteristics of the characters and enemies.

Skyward Sword uses the Wii Motion Plus to create a more detailed sword fighting system, and often enemies must be attacked in a specific way in order to defeat them. Aonuma said that this meant that how an enemy carried its weapon was very important, and that a less realistic art style was the best way to communicate this information.

"We thought that because we want to highlight the sword fighting combat, we have to exaggerate the features," he said. "You have to match the art style to how the game plays, and we thought this worked best. We matched the artwork so that we can highlight the over-exaggeration in the gameplay."

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is scheduled for release at some point in 2011.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-explains-zeldas-new-art-style]

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
See also: Red Steel 2.

I'll say it again - so long as the core Zelda gameplay is still just as fun, I don't care which graphical style Nintendo chooses to take. [/brokenrecord]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems to be a growing popular theme for Wii games. Can't disagree though, tis very beautiful

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I was hoping to avoid the Wii Motion Plus but it looks like I will have to buy it now.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
I like the art style a lot. I'm looking forward to this new Zelda.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
After twilight princess LOZ would have to completely change in order to make me interested again. Its just the same every time, round and round we go beating ganon and saving a useless princess every damn time like some sort of reoccurring nightmare.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Why are people complaining about the art style? The cartoon zelda games have been the best in my opinion. Zelda games aren't supposed to be serious, it's good childish fun.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
More emphasis on sword combat: good.
Giant neon signs saying "Hit enemy here!": not good

I don't mind the art style, but I don't like him talking about needing to help gamers defeat the same enemies as in every other Zelda game. Unless we get a whole bunch of cool, unique new enemies, though trailers and screenshots so far have mostly shown Deku Babas and Bokoblins.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I liked Twilight Princess's graphic style more, but I don't care about the style that much, as long as it looks good.

Also, I'm afraid they'll over-exaggerate too much, showing all the enemies' weak points too clearly and making the enemies easy and stupid-looking. I hope they succeed in balancing it out well.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I'm sure the fact that it helps the game look better with the limited graphical power of the Wii doesn't hurt either. Just sayin'.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I love the art style! I hope every Zelda game in the future keeps this as they're art style because The Legend Of Zelda isn't about realism, it's about fun, challenging gameplay. I loved Windwaker's art style as well and I think that Nintendo made the right choice with Skyward Sword's look. Realism and Nintendo don't mix and I hope this Zelda is the most fun I get out of my Wii since Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
"It makes the game better"?

Eh... I don't want to sound like douche but that didn't sound as good excuse imo.
Not that I didn't like it, hell no, I think Okami is one of the best games ever created and the ideia of less is more can work if well done but that statement just wasn't much conceiving.

Just thinking if they said something else such as, let's say, cutting costs, would be more likeable than "It makes the game better".

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Wouldn't want to make you audience actually think and devise a battle strategy would you?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Trotgar said:
Also, I'm afraid they'll over-exaggerate too much, showing all the enemies' weak points too clearly and making the enemies easy and stupid-looking. I hope they succeed in balancing it out well.
that's what i'm warried about, especially with the bosses. they could go a little over the top and make the weak spot a little too obvious.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Adzma said:
Wouldn't want to make you audience actually think and devise a battle strategy would you?
That's kind of a side point, if you want players to actually think and devise their own strategy it's even more important to offer clear visual cues. But yeah there's no mention of it here and knowing Nintendo itikely won't feature.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I still think it looks really, really bland. At least they have a reason for the blandness, though.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
It's not "bad" cell art. Windwaker was bad cell art the way it just...ugh looked was painful.

Like someone techocolor yawned on a toontown character. This looks pretty nice.