Professor Investigates the Effect of Zombies on World Politics

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Professor Investigates the Effect of Zombies on World Politics

Politics professor and blogger Daniel W. Drezner examines what might really happen in a zombie outbreak.

Pretty much every zombie movie has the same message: When the zombies turn up, the human race is in trouble. But according to Drezner the reality would be much less apocalyptic. Writing for the award winning Foreign Policy [http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/06/21/night_of_the_living_wonks?page=0,0] magazine, Drezner theorizes about the possible responses to a zombie outbreak from realist, liberal and neoconservative governments, and the impact it would have on international politics.

Drezner says that the realist response would be to treat a zombie outbreak like any other plague, and the effect on international politics would be minimal, unless the zombie outbreak is used as an excuse for one state to invade another, such as China invading Taiwan or the US invading Cuba.

The liberal response would emphasize cooperation, Drezner writes, and would likely result in an "international counterzombie regime," which although not perfect, would be able to function well enough so that most countries would have very little to worry about. The neoconservatives would almost certainly take the fight to the zombies in an aggressive, militarized response, but Drezner believes that zombies would be lumped in with other threats into an "Axis of Evil Dead," which would hinder military effectiveness by preventing efforts to form a global coalition.

The solutions are very different, but Drezner believes that the point of commonality is that the ultimately the zombie threat would be contained: "Powerful states would be more likely to withstand an army of flesh-eating ghouls," he says. "In the end, what I am suggesting is that with careful planning and a consistent approach, the zombie threat can be managed."

As he's for why he's writing about zombies on a site more commonly concerned with the war in Iraq and other similarly serious topics, Drezner says that he thinks the proliferation of zombie movies and games could represent "an indirect attempt to get a cognitive grip on what former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld once referred to as the 'unknown unknowns' in international security." Alternatively, he muses, people could have a genuine, although unconscious, fear of the dead rising from the grave.

The essay makes for a very interesting read, and Drezner has a book coming out on the same subject, so if your interest is piqued and you want to read more about it, you'll be able to do so soon.

Source: via Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/07/international-relations-t.php]

Mr.Geoson

Apr 1, 2010
Depending on the way it's transmitted I don't really think the Government would be able to response to it in time for minimal loses. You also have to put in about what the people of each country think of Zombies, I mean, they still are somewhat human beings, some people may not want to shoot them if they know it's possibly their family and such. I mean, if the zombies hit Washington first, it would probable be all over for the US.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I think it's an interesting way to analyze various governmental systems. See how they function at the worst of times, and you get a better grasp on how they work during a more normal state of affairs.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Mr.Geoson said:
I mean, if the zombies hit Washington first, it would probable be all over for the US.
Actually, I would probably hug the nearest zombie. And then shoot it.

Also, did anyone else read 'international counterzombie regime' and read 'slow, minimal response whose primary goal is protection of rich nations with tie-in for reduced national authority'?

I did.

EDIT: Also, should point out I'm not conservative (in the modern sense), as I realized point one and point two might lead one to make that assumption. I'm very libertarian. Very.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I'm really not worried if society fails to contain the zombie apocalypse.

"Both barrels for you, you brain-eating bastards!"

Mr.Geoson

Apr 1, 2010
Mr.Geoson:
I mean, if the zombies hit Washington first, it would probable be all over for the US.

Actually, I would probably hug the nearest zombie. And then shoot it.

Also, did anyone else read 'international counterzombie regime' and read 'slow, minimal response whose primary goal is protection of rich nations with tie-in for reduced national authority'?

I did.

I didn't read every detail in there, I kinda skimmed through it cause I had to go do something.

EDIT: Ugh, I can't fix the quotes, whatever....

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Now see, this would all depend on many factors. Number 1 being whether or not it's an isolated instance of zombies, or if it's a simultaneous global infection.

If dead people started munching on living people almost instantly around the globe, first of all you have the major issue that nobody would believe this is the actual event occurring. They'd try to attach logical reasoning to it, rather than something that we consider fiction. I think by the time acceptance started to grow of what's really going on, things would be in a state of chaos, or damn near close to it.

Then there would have to be a plan formulated, and quickly. Naturally, the best course of action would be to contain everything infected, or if that weren't an option, contain the non-infected. Then there's questions like, if anyone dies of any cause, would they rise from the dead? How would we protect ourselves from this? What do we do to maintain our levels of security, without losing our humanity in the process?

Overall, I don't think there would be much cooperation with other nations, unless all of this was executed practically flawlessly and without much incident. Because the number one priority of every nation is to preserve itself. Everyone else comes second, and especially with our military, I think we'd be pretty capable of being self-sufficient. Global cooperation would be nice, but again, many factors could easily change how that goes.

Yeah, okay, wow.... I think I'm done now.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well...its nice to know people are thinking of our future with the T-Virus involved...

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I think that he is thinking of this post rising, when the dead rise, like uppitycracker said, no one would believe it, now, if we all believed it then we could possibly get it under control. doesn't REALLY matter though, because when it comes down to it, I'm taking my shovel, getting the rifle, and heading to canada.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
I think there's two minor flaws here with his plan. The first is, zombies aren't the most believable enemy, and I think many governments would be skeptical when the outbreak first started. Say it takes a day or so for the infection to take hold, refugees would have enough time to spread it around to the rest of the civilized world. Also, people are people, and we're kind of stupid sometimes, so human error needs to be accounted for.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I think he just described the most awesome video game of all time and the most terrifying war of all time at the same time. I can safely say I'd buy that game and skip the fuck out of Canada if I got enlisted in that war.

Virgilthepagan said:
I think there's two minor flaws here with his plan. The first is, zombies aren't the most believable enemy, and I think many governments would be skeptical when the outbreak first started. Say it takes a day or so for the infection to take hold, refugees would have enough time to spread it around to the rest of the civilized world. Also, people are people, and we're kind of stupid sometimes, so human error needs to be accounted for.
Incredulity is kind of countered by satellite photos, and depending on where exactly the refugees are coming from it might be pretty difficult for them to skip the borders to another country. They infect one country at most before the states sends troops in, because at this point I expect the US to send troops in, and starts clearing the place of infection. And, in this day and age, I kind of see a zombie infection spreading from a place where they've got enough weapons to keep the infection at bay for a while. I don't see England having a zombie problem.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
Never understood why people were so worried about zombies, all you need is a lava moat and you're set for life. Alternatively, climb up stairs, remove stairs.

Also, Max Brooks: The Zombie Guide for Survival is also a good bet.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ehh Ive got plenty of sunflowers and peashooters, Ill be fine

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
Mr.Geoson said:
Depending on the way it's transmitted I don't really think the Government would be able to response to it in time for minimal loses. You also have to put in about what the people of each country think of Zombies, I mean, they still are somewhat human beings, some people may not want to shoot them if they know it's possibly their family and such. I mean, if the zombies hit Washington first, it would probable be all over for the US.
I agree with this. Depending on the location of the outbreak, the outcome would vary drastically. The population density would affect how fast it would spread. And then there is the aspect of the type of zombies you are dealing with. Slow, fast etc. So many variables...

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I just got one question.... Why the fuck is every one thinking about zombies and so fascinated by them? Their brain dead.

OT: Anyways it would be a good reason for the U.S. to invade another country, as he said.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Pretty much every zombie movie has the same message: When the zombies turn up, the human race is in trouble.
Right, last time I checked, the "message" of most zombie movies tends to be something along the lines of "But who are the real monsters?"

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I'm always interested in Zombie news ^~^! I sure do have a lot of fun playing Zombie games ^~^! I already have a contingency plan in place should zombies begin to walk among us. I hope others have thought of a plan too >~<! It's good to know that at least in theory, a zombie apocalypse can indeed be contained ^~^!