Review: NCAA Football 11

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: NCAA Football 11

The big dog on campus doesn't change things up much, but it didn't really need to.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, it seems, as with any sport games. They cannot really change much as its all...the same? But...if its a formula that works...why break it?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
LOL, someone was playing as Duke in the beginning.

OT: I think its time to ditch Madden 06 and finally update my sports games. Can't decide between this and Madden 11

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
I rented this and I'm not too happy. Why didn't you mention that it costs money to ue the online features? And that several modes, especially Road to Glory, have not changed AT ALL?

/fury

RangerSERE

May 14, 2010
soapyshooter said:

OT: I think its time to ditch Madden 06 and finally update my sports games. Can't decide between this and Madden 11
Go with Madden 11.

Ive always felt the NCAA football games were the released betas of the upcoming madden games. They feel so stiff and unpolished.

But, finally, we come to the most important issue in this entire review. Why on earth would you play as Duke?! Just make an all-American high school team and let your pet assign stats...its the same thing. Seriously Duke?! Sorry i cant get over that.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Wow. I actually want to get this now, just to see how they handle the 'Running of the T' for Tennessee and 'dotting the I' for Ohio State.

But yeah, I have to say it, too:

DUKE?!?

This is NCAA Football '11, not March Madness '11!

walkingdead127

Jun 24, 2009
Great choice for the team to management. Auburn is the way to go. War Eagle.

OT: The new features sound interesting and like they add a lot to the game. I can't wait to run out of the tunnel at Jordan-Hare.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I love the game, I have been playing it a ton lately, as I do with most NCAA Football games, but this one is easily the best of the bunch. I feel you guys missed the biggest improvement of the game, the way you run with the ball now. Running in 2011 is sooooo much smoother than 2010, also when you slightly tilt the control stick in certain directions you can weave through defenses. In NCAA 2010 if you try to do that your character would pretty much come to a complete stop and go in the direction you want them to. It makes navigating open holes created by your blockers easier and it just makes the game feel more realistic.

Overall, this is the greatest NCAA Football game ever made. If you ever thought of getting an NCAA football game, get this one. I do prefer NCAA football over madden because I find college football more enjoyable than the NFL because:
1. I am at a university right now and love our team.
2. Upsets, there is nothing like watching an upset or being there when one happens. NFL is too balanced, but I still enjoy it.

Edit: Almost forgot, Go Beavs!! Ohhhhhh Essssss Uuuuuuuu

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
RangerSERE said:
soapyshooter said:

Go with Madden 11.

Ive always felt the NCAA football games were the released betas of the upcoming madden games. They feel so stiff and unpolished.

But, finally, we come to the most important issue in this entire review. Why on earth would you play as Duke?! Just make an all-American high school team and let your pet assign stats...its the same thing. Seriously Duke?! Sorry i cant get over that.
solidstatemind said:
Wow. I actually want to get this now, just to see how they handle the 'Running of the T' for Tennessee and 'dotting the I' for Ohio State.

But yeah, I have to say it, too:

DUKE?!?

This is NCAA Football '11, not March Madness '11!
Duke is right down the road from us, so I was playing as them for stadium familiarity :p

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
Can someone please help me. I bought Madden 09 for the PS3, but I have no idea how the game works. I know this isn't Gamefaqs, but if someone could just explain the basics to me (like what the X's and O's mean and why some lines are in yellow and some in orange and mostly when to through a pass) that would just be ducky...

Jezzeh

Jan 9, 2009
KwaggaDan said:
Can someone please help me. I bought Madden 09 for the PS3, but I have no idea how the game works. I know this isn't Gamefaqs, but if someone could just explain the basics to me (like what the X's and O's mean and why some lines are in yellow and some in orange and mostly when to through a pass) that would just be ducky...
...In the game case, there should be this little stack of stapled-together glossy papers called a MANUAL. Read it. Problem solved.

NCAA '11 isn't bad. As mentioned, it does tend to get repetitive when compared to previous titles, and to be honest, I'm beginning to experience a failure in understanding when it comes to games like this being released every year... Changes in rosters and such aren't exactly a viable excuse. But really, the game is entertaining, and for the most part, it delivers. I too have previously tended to wait for the Madden games, as they usually feel much more complete and final, but this edition of NCAA seems to do its job.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I don't have any complaints.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Jezzeh said:
KwaggaDan said:
...In the game case, there should be this little stack of stapled-together glossy papers called a MANUAL.
Ha..haha...hahaha. This cracked me up. But seriously. Do this.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
I've decided to pass this year on NCAA. I'll get the madden (heck my team just added T.O. to OchoCinco...it's a must buy year!), but my NCAA team is Utah and with it being the last year in the Mountain West...meh...I think I'll wait till we are in with the Pac-12 conference in next years game.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Is there a button that makes Tim Tebow (QB 15) do a prayer after touchdowns or lets you choose which psalm you put in your under eye liner.

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
Really wish I had a PS3 or XBOX 360. My PoS PS2 has almost an entirely different game than the ones I'm seeing. :(

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
I'm actually torn between buying the NCAA or the NFL version. *ponders*
The NCAA games are almost always better than the NFL versions, from the past couple decades' experience. A much greater variety in gameplay.

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
Jezzeh said:
KwaggaDan said:
...In the game case, there should be this little stack of stapled-together glossy papers called a MANUAL. Read it. Problem solved.

NCAA '11 isn't bad. As mentioned, it does tend to get repetitive when compared to previous titles, and to be honest, I'm beginning to experience a failure in understanding when it comes to games like this being released every year... Changes in rosters and such aren't exactly a viable excuse. But really, the game is entertaining, and for the most part, it delivers. I too have previously tended to wait for the Madden games, as they usually feel much more complete and final, but this edition of NCAA seems to do its job.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I don't have any complaints.
Heh heh, pretty funny. Well except for the fact that the manual doesn't deal with the basics. It gives me a list of keys and silent plays and moves, but my problem is with the basic elements like the different coloured arrows...