Blizzard: We Might Return to Console Development

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Blizzard: We Might Return to Console Development

It's been years since Blizzard put out a game on a console, but that doesn't mean it's turned its back on them.

It's easy to think of Blizzard as a PC only developer, after all it created one of the biggest MMORPGs in the world, and has just released StarCraft 2, possibly the most eagerly anticipated PC game in recent history. But despite its current PC focus, Blizzard has also created console games in the past, and says it might do again, for the right game.

Michael Ryder, Blizzard's VP and executive MD of internal operations, said that console games were Blizzard's heritage, but that design decisions and the desire to give its players the best possible experience, had meant that Blizzard had leaned towards in PC development in recent years.

But Ryder also said that Blizzard played all kinds of games, and was "up to speed" on all console platforms. He said that if Blizzard thought that a particular game design would work well on a console, then it might pursue that opportunity.

The last foray that Blizzard made into console development was ill-fated StarCraft: Ghost, which was announced in 2002 and "indefinitely postponed" in 2006. There have been rumors that suggest that Blizzard is in talks to bring Diablo 3 to consoles, but these have yet to be confirmed.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40183/Blizzard-teases-console-projects]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
If they were going to make a console game, I'd prefer it be an original title.

Just feel like seeing something new is all.

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
......does this mean that starcraft:ghost might actually see the light of day?
In that case, I am -so- in favour of this. I was -so- pissed off when it was "indefinitely put on hold". Give me starcraft:ghost to the current-gen consoles (...or well, with blizzards track record it would probably not be finished until the next-gen of consoles) and I'll be a happy camper! :D

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hubilub said:
If they were going to make a console game, I'd prefer it be an original title.

Just feel like seeing something new is all.
Hear hear. Something new would be delicious, thankyou.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
GIMME MAH STARCRAFT: GHOST!

Thanks.

Also, a PC version of it would be nice. >_>

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
D3 would work well on console tbh, its essentially a single playe dungeon crawler. But skill swapping mite suck without a keyboard. tho i guess they can do the whole pause the game while skill swapping thing.

I'd love to see an over the shoulder or third person shooter like GHOST come back on a console. Pad players deserve some Blizzard love too.

Still gonna stick with the PC releases

Eukaryote said:
Lost Vikings 4 please!
XD awesome game aint it! so excited about all the Custom Games that can be made in SC2 \o/ (waiting on someone to completely remake SC1, with the sounds and all)

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
JEBWrench said:
Dear Blizzard:

Stick with what you're good at.
Alienating PC owners?
Alienating?? They have one of the most popular MMOs in the world, a hugely popular RTS series, especially in Korea, not to mention Diablo. If that's alientation, I'd like a slice of it :)

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
I read this and can't help but feel that whats really being said is, "Blizzard is going to make cash-grab games for the consoles, at the urging of Bobby Kotick."

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
This wont happen for years. Diablo 3 won't be on consoles and i think they're going to be working on Starcraft 2 part 2 and 3 for the next few years.
I think it's one of those tired have-to-say-it comments.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
They said the exactly same thing the last year :D
Come to think of it, they say that every year, and even tried it once with starcraft ghost.