Shogun 2 Trailer Heralds Cherry Blossoms of Death

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Shogun 2 Trailer Heralds Cherry Blossoms of Death

If you're going to die in Shogun 2: Total War, at least have the decency to die under a gentle shower of sakura petals.

[gametrailers=702266]

Just because this week is all about RTS games set in the far future [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102374-StarCraft-II-Midnight-Launch-Detected] doesn't mean that we can't appreciate a good-looking RTS game set in the past. Case in point - this nifty gameplay-footage-only trailer from Creative Assembly's upcoming Shogun 2: Total War.

If anime and manga have taught me anything, it's that there's no better backdrop for a dramatic and poignant character death than gently-falling cherry blossoms. Perhaps it has to do with their innate tranquility and beauty set against the harsh violence and frailty of our human nature, or perhaps it has to do with how they represent the never-ending cycle of life and death.

Or maybe it's just because it looks neat - either way works, really. Regardless, the trailer has plenty of great-looking in-game action that should appeal to fans of the original Shogun from many years ago. And yes, there are lots of cherry blossoms to go around.

Set during the 16th century in feudal Japan, Shogun 2 stars the player as a daimyo clan lord out to use his military expertise to claim the title of shogun for himself. Steve Butts saw it at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101402-E3-2010-Shogun-2-Total-War] and came away quite impressed.

(via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/29/shogun-2-total-war-looks-really-hot/])

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
this game does look very very good. i love total war series. especially looking at the landing battles they are implementing, getting off boats and fighting looks pretty interesting.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Must...get...better computer. My current one can barely handle Medieval II on low settings, and Civil war era Japan is one of my favorite eras of history. Damn you Creative Assembely, why must you torment me so?

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
This looks pretty good.

I'm still not really happy with the setting though.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I wanted this game over a year ago, and finally it's going to come. Now I just need to upgrade my PC, since it's VERY outdated.

Tyranicus

Feb 8, 2008
Thank god i bought a new vidja card cause this game is now 2nd on my list just below Civ V!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
damn those CA ppl always finding ways to get my money! >.< other than Shogun and Medieval1 I now own every single TW game. CURSE YOU CA! for being the only one to make a war game that has a good unit count!

kinda a step back tho, thought they might have thought up a way to move combat up the say WWI or WWII after Napoleon.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Really looking forward to this! the first was epic, and now...with everything technology has done...I can only imagine it will only be greater!

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Definitely will have to upgrade my Radeon HD 4350 graphics card to run this gorgeous game, on High settings.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Don't trust the trailer people. The last time CA did an "ingame footage" trailer was for Empire Total War, and the "finished" product looked nothing like it.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Loved Shogun 1 back in the day. I can't wait to play it since they upgraded the whole system since rome 1.

I gave Empire a miss but really enjoyed Medieval 2. Anyone considering this should give that a go as it will more than tide you over until release.

What was the major problem with Empire dudes?

WOO

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
I was so pumped for Empire and it just wasn't that fun. I don't know. The economy was definitely way too fragile. There were other faults. But Rome and Medieval 2, I'm embarrassed to admit how much time I spent playing those. Gothic Knights kill everything.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Fake trailer is fake. You'd think people realize that after Empire and Napoleon were supposed to look exactly this pretty and weren't(and weren't pretty in the gameplay department either)