Square Enix RPG Gets Spiritual Sequel From Atlus

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Enix RPG Gets Spiritual Sequel From Atlus

Square Enix PlayStation 2 RPG Radiata Stories is getting a spiritual sequel on the Nintendo DS courtesy of Atlus.

Atlus has announced that it'll be bringing a title called Radiant Historia to the Radiata Stories [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DSi-Matte-Black-DS/dp/B001T8W2LW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1280417188&sr=8-6].

Just in case the name didn't clue you in to Radiant Historia being related to Radiata Stories in some way, the game is being created by Satoshi Takayashiki, the man behind the idea for Radiata Stories, with other previous Stories staffers working alongside him including character designer Hiroshi Konishi. Radiata Stories had 175 recruitable characters, so the return of the character designer is pretty key.

If you've never heard of Radiata Stories and like to partake in the RPG genre, go pick up a copy as soon as you can. It's a fun romp that involves kicking anything you can, including other characters that will sometimes attack you if you kick them too much. These characters exist in a persistent world and all have their own schedules in the game's day/night system. Combat works very much like games in the Tales [http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Vesperia-Xbox-360/dp/B0015HZLVA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280417353&sr=1-1] and Star Ocean series, with real-time battles that are entered by contacting a monster on the field. Avoiding spoilers, the story also has a point at which it splits into two, affecting characters that will join your party and the storyline.

Aside from the similarities in staffing and name, Historia has no direct connection to Radiata Stories. The game is set in a land where people will occasionally turn to sand, with a main character that goes by the name of Stok. Stok becomes wounded in a battle, and awakens in Historia, where he is given the power to travel through time and space. He'll use this power to travel to both the past and future of two parallel worlds. Battles use a "Grid System," where placement, positioning, and skills determine attack damage. More detailed information is available at Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/28/radiant_historia_revealed/].

The current description gives me a Chrono Cross [http://www.amazon.com/Chrono-Trigger-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001E27DLM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280417381&sr=1-1] feel, and that combined with being a spiritual sequel to Radiata Stories makes Radiant Historia an RPG to look forward to in my book. There hasn't been any mention of a mass of recruitable characters, or of kicking everything in sight, but I'm hoping. The game will be released on November 4 in Japan, and because it's coming from Atlus I'm sure we'll be seeing it in other regions too.

Image via Famitsu [http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1238068_1407.html]

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
No idea about that game, never heard of it, but if it's Atlus.. well, they make only good games.

Also, Grid System? Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor had it on the DS and worked perfectly.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
OMG!! Awesome! The Return of Jack Russel... Terrier. He loses against even more scrawny women this time and gets his butt throughly kicked.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I remember when i couldn't wait for Radiata Stories, i even imported it to play it sooner (I am from Australia), didn't much like it and i couldn't even return it :p.

I will wait for this title to come out locally (assuming it ever does) so i can at least try it and see if it is good but if it isn't it will be returned.

I am always willing to give RPGs a go since i love them so much, so i will wait until i can play it to dislike it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Not going to complain on this one, Atlus do good stuff, and, always add some nice anime flare into the games they do...so I got good feelings for this!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
KarumaK said:
I liked Radiata Stories, I'm just sad this will be on the DS.
I'm happy it's on the DS... I just want kicking and lots of characters again.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Hell yes dude. One of the best RPG's of the last generation gets another installment? Sign me up.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Radiata Stories
*kicks*

What will I find?

OT:
I loved that game. So much fun. Except for waiting around a long time for an event with the Day/Night cycle...

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
I was impressed with Radiata Stories. Not perfect by a long shot, but it contained enough interesting concepts, characters, and themes that it kept my attention long enough to see both branching paths of the story. That game has a ton of secrets and plumbing through all of them was surprisingly engaging at times (although confusingly directionless and jarringly transitional at worst).

As for Radiant Historia, I'm not sure what makes this game a spiritual sequel, given that it shares so little with Radiata. The "Grid System" piques my interest, though, and time travel is all sorts of ripe for intriguing cause-and-effect scenarios. Something else to keep an eye on, I suppose.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
KarumaK said:
I liked Radiata Stories, I'm just sad this will be on the DS.
I'm happy it's on the DS... I just want kicking and lots of characters again.
But without the nice 3D models kicking and being kicked... is it really the same?

*sniffle*