Halo 2600 Brings Seriously Old-School Action

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Halo 2600 Brings Seriously Old-School Action

Here's a blast from the imaginary past: Halo 2600, a fully-playable vision of what the hit shooter might have looked like if it had been released three decades ago on the classic Atari console.

Imagine: A long-awaited new game is on the cusp of being released, exclusively for the hottest console on the market. It's an epic, action-packed tale of one man's stand against an army of hostile aliens, played out across multiple, highly-varied environments rendered in stunning visual detail with cutting-edge technology.

Oh, and it's 1978.

That's what you get with Halo 2600, a look at what might have been if the hit Bungie [http://www.bungie.net/] franchise had debuted about three decades ago. The game was created by Ed Fries, the former vice president of publishing at Microsoft, and features just about everything you'd expect, with blocky versions of all the Covenant bad guys, primary-colored levels, power-ups and a perfect chiptune soundtrack.

Word on the street is that lucky attendees of the Halo2600.com [http://www.cgexpo.com/]. Helpful hint: The gun is one screen up from the starting point, so that's probably a good place to start. Now get out there and make the galaxy safe for humanity!

via: ExtraGuy.com [http://www.extraguy.com/2010/08/ed-fries-creates-halo-2600/]

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
GoldenShadow said:
hmm the flash game isn't loading for me
It may have crashed due to the amount of people playing it. Or maybe it was taken down for some reason. Best thing to do is leave it for awhile then go back to it later I guess?

OT: It sounds awesome. I have a soft spot for this sort of thing, like that left 4 dead remake in 16 bit.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
So... You're telling me that that flash game was ported to an actual 2600 cartridge that will play in my system? When is the first one going up on ebay?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
..this is so awesome.
I think i have a new time waster for this week.

And the way the opening theme sounds in classic Beep is cool.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Gxas said:
So... You're telling me that that flash game was ported to an actual 2600 cartridge that will play in my system? When is the first one going up on ebay?
No, it was made as a 2600 game and then ported to flash I think.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
that was still better than MW2
How can halo ever not be good!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
NLS said:
Gxas said:
No, it was made as a 2600 game and then ported to flash I think.
Either way, they made a new 2600 game. I need it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
hehe, nice period title.

Use with joystick! OMG! The future is here!

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I have to say that sounds kind of cool in a crazy retro kind of way. Plus I just heard what the Halo theme sounds like in eight bit sound effects.

Epic.