Question of the Day, August 12, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, August 12, 2010

Associated Content recently published a list of the top eight games that have changed the gaming world as we know it. Which game has changed the scene the most? Be sure to tell us why!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i'm gonna have to say not a single one of those. well, maybe 4 swords, because it did a great job proving that even a Zelda game can be complete shit :p

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Pikmin, because it was an RTS for people who don't really like RTS's. It had gameplay that allowed for fast yet thoughtful combat. Also most of the things on this list had almost no effect on the industry at all so I guess the prize goes to Pikmin.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
I don't think any of these are really that influential. I liked the Gundam game, but it certainly didn't change my life or change gaming.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I'm going to have to go with Harvest Moon. Where would Farmville draw its inspiration from otherwise?

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
I close my eyes really hard and through the might of space and time manipulation I am able to pick Space Invaders from the suggested list.

Nibiru

Apr 5, 2010
I picked Harvest Moon, since it showed developers that you do not need true action for a game to

be successful and it introduced a new audience to video games.

I am sure Harvest Moon was influenced by the Tamagochi craze at that time...

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I don't understand that list, admittedly I've only played a couple, but I don't see anything world-shattering in any of them :/

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Needs an option 'none of the above'. If I MUST choose, I guess Animal Crossing, for its real time progression even if the console was not playing the game.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Pikmin, because it is my favorite game on the list, not because it was particularly influential. Then, none of these titles were, especially...

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
I had to pick Harvest moon since the other ones I've played from the list have done pretty little to change gaming at all.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
None of those games had a big impact on gaming.

The closest if I have to pick one would be maybe Animal Crossing, but really it was just a part of a new wave of casual games.

I generally expected Half Life, Star Craft, Halo, an early MMO, to be in that list. Games that did actual have an impact on gaming (non-meat head heros, balanced races, regen shields and health)

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
There are not a single entry on that list that I would consider to be influential on gaming.

Slayster

Apr 7, 2010
None of those games have changed gaming for me. I've not even played any of them. Put me down as another one who doesn't understand this very odd list.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
linwolf said:
There are not a single entry on that list that I would consider to be influential on gaming.
Same here, although I wondered if that was just my lack of familiarity with games outside of the 4 systems I have owned.