Question of the Day, August 16, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, August 16, 2010

A recent policy paper being considered by the United Nations makes the argument that humanity needs to start eating more bugs. Livestock farming takes up too much land and releases greenhouse gasses. Would you eat only bugs as your source of protein for an entire year to reduce greenhouse gasses?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Bugs? Really? Like...what, cockroaches? Ergh. No way.

I'll stick to my dead animal thanks.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
How about "No, I wouldn't eat any one protein exclusively for a year, for any reason." That way lies madness, and illness as well...

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
For something like that? No. I'd rather never use a car again and walk everywhere. Or become a vegetarian. Would that help?

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Ah crap, me idiot clicked the last thing before reading the explanation, so yes i would. X-P

nelsonr100

Apr 15, 2009
I would if they were processed into something that didn't look like a bug? I'm not great at eating things that look horrible but I've heard the taste is actually alright and they are nutritious.

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
I've no problem (Only a small problem) with eating bugs.
But there's no chance I would completely give up conventional meats for bugs.

That's just silly.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
It would depend on how they are prepared. I have eaten the occasional raw insect, and they weren't very tasty. But at least I didn't feel the need to eat after having one crawl trough my mouth as I chewed on it.
And also, protein? Most meat products in my country haven't contained protein since they discovered the Es, those chemical emulant-thingies, they barely contain meat at all.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Why eat bugs when you can get all the protein you need from plants? For example, from nuts.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Can't comment because I've never tried them; though I like chicken nuggets, so there's probably something they can do to bugs to make 'em taste good. Ketchup might work.

Badong

May 26, 2010
Sure as hell, I would. Even if it doesn't help the Earth, I'd still eat more of these little critters.

In fact...

And no, those are not crabs...

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
There are very few things on this planet that I hate/fear more than bugs. Yup, I have an irrational fear of bugs. Just about any bug, although there are a few exceptions. So no, no fucking way would I ever eat a bug, much less for a year. I don't care if the world would be doomed as a result.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Crickets coated in chocolate do look tasty ... saw that on tv once, kinda want to try it... But once. Not for a full year.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really cannot see how the teo are related, and...even if so, No thanks

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Ahlycks said:
i do not see how those two are related, and if they are, isn't that going a bit extreme? can you just have a farm without, you know, producing green house gases because, you know, people have not been farming for thousands of years.
The "greenhouse gasses" aren't exactly from the farms, themselves...

When you have thousands of cattle in one place, there's a large amount of, er... natural methane produced.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Yep, I have tasted bugs before and they are very delicious. I would gladly! I just need to fin non-contaminated bugs first of all...