Grand Theft Auto 4 Censorship in Australia Angers Gamers

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Grand Theft Auto 4 Censorship in Australia Angers Gamers

Australian gamers are looking to import Grand Theft Auto IV to bypass censorship and a heftier price tag.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that gamers were angered by Rockstar's move to edit game content - a necessary move to obtain an MA15+ rating in that country.

Further stoking the flames is the $120 price tag the game carries, double the North American price.

The episode is giving impetus to a push for testing public opinion about 18+ video game ratings.

"While computer games have predominantly been considered the domain of children, the most up-to-date research indicates a steadily growing trend in adult consumers of the product, with the current average age of gamers reported to be 28 years,"
Victorian Deputy Premier and Attorney-General Rob Hulls said.

"It seems inconsistent that in Australia adults are allowed to view adult-only films, which have been classified R18+ by the classification board, but not computer games with an equivalent high-level content. At the moment, Australia is out-of-step with the rest of the developed world on this issue."

Source: Ars Technica [http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/illicit-trade/2008/04/16/1208025201207.html]

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
From what I've heard New Zealand's version isn't censored so I guess this isn't such a big deal.Just import it.
Now about the price tag... :(

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
But? Wha?! (grumpy face)

I don't really want GTA4 that badly but this goes to show how absolutly pathetic our country is to media products and how ignorent they truely are.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
Australia simply needs to add an MA18+ rating. If you can vote, go to war, and, in some countries, get drunk off your gourd, you should be able to buy any video game you like.

As long as retailers enforce the rating, there's no harm.

doopits

Apr 18, 2008
Actually, I preordered from New Zealand after the announcement first came out that the Australian one was censored - This week got an email from gameplanet.co.nz telling me that NZ is getting the Australian censored version too.

Sucks to be us.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Saskwach said:
So what exactly is being censored out? Does anyone know?
I'm more angry that its actually censored. I mean, if, like stated by doopits, we can join the armed forces, vote, and drink alcohol , we should be able to play anything we like. Sure, I'm under, but if my parents feel I'm mature enough to play an MA18+ game, then they should have the ability to buy the uncut version, and I should have the opportunity to play it.

But we all know that the censor board are a bunch of old dicks who don't understand anything about videogames. Hey, here's an idea: How about letting some gamers on the board?

- A procrastinator

CarlosYenrac

Nov 20, 2007
A lot of people seem to miss this point, but i cannot be emphasized enough: the censor^H^H^H^H^classification board does not make the rules, they only enforce them.

the ones making the decisions are the State and Federal Attorneys-General- if you're truly interested here are some contacts trawled up from a quick google search

Federal:
Robert McClelland
Attorney-General's Department
Robert Garran Offices
National Circuit
BARTON ACT 2600

Ph. +61 2 6250 6666

Victoria:
The Hon. Rob Hulls MP, Attorney-General and Minister for Racing <- interesting.....
Department of Justice, Victoria, Australia
121 Exhibition St
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: 03 8684 0000
Tel: 1300 365 111 (regional callers)

New South Wales:
Attorney General's Department of NSW
Telephone: 1800 684 449 - Feedback Line
Telephone: (02) 8688 7777 - General Switchboard
Fax: (02) 8688 7980
Email: [email protected]
TTY Telephone: (02) 8688 7733
Street Address:
Justice Precinct Offices
160 Marsden Street,
PARRAMATTA
NSW 2150

Postal Address:
LOCKED BAG 5111,
PARRAMATTA
NSW 2124

ABN: 83 576 514 140

Queensland:
The Honourable Kerry Shine MP
Office of the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice
Phone 07 3239 3478
Fax 07 3220 2475
Address:
Level 18
State Law Building
50 Ann Street
Brisbane QLD 4000

Postal address:
GPO Box 149
Brisbane QLD 4001

South Australia:
Attorney-General's Department
Postal Address: GPO Box 464 Adelaide SA 5001
Telephone: (08) 8207 1555
Email: [email protected]

Western Australia:
Department of the Attorney General
Level 16, 141 St Georges Terrace, PERTH 6000
Phone: (08) 9264 1600 or 131217

Also a handy link on the WA department of justice website:
http://www.justice.wa.gov.au/_apps/contacts/contactForm.aspx?page=contactForm&departmentId=1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies for the long cut&paste post, but this is information that people need to know to make a difference, instead of wailing impotently at the OFLC you should contact the people who can change our classification system.
Also apologies to the territories, I'm not sure of the governmental structure there, so a little investigation might be required.
tas.gov.au unfortunately has a blank page where the A-G's contact details should be, but I've seen the Hobart phonebook- he/she should be in there somewhere...

So come on, people- if you're that angry you're willing to give the sheepf^H^H^H New Zealanders your money, get off your lazy arses and DO SOMETHING.

jemann

Sep 5, 2007
The important one in this list is probably the SA section; the Attorney-General there, Michael Atkinson, is the main one blocking the adult classification. Unfortunately, he seems to be unmoved by rational argument.

doopits

Apr 18, 2008
I'd love to take credit for it, but actually it was mitsoxfan who said that.

I agree completely, especially since they'll no doubt cut out the prostitue thing.. and prostitutes are legal in Austraia. Stupid censors.

SSJVEEN

Apr 6, 2008
JakubK666 said:
From what I've heard New Zealand's version isn't censored so I guess this isn't such a big deal.Just import it.
Now about the price tag... :(
Be warned, I already tried this and I was informed by the store i was ordering from that NZ will be receiving the same censored version as Australia. Fortunatly they were kind enough to cancel my pre-order and as a result, I am importing it from the UK, which amusingingly enough, is actually cheaper.