Syndicate Reboot Rumors Refueled by New Registrations

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Syndicate Reboot Rumors Refueled by New Registrations

The evidence suggesting a Syndicate reboot has grown even stronger, thanks to a recent trip to the trademark office by EA.

EA has filed three new trademarks for the name Syndicate, adding more weight to the growing speculation that the cyberpunk-themed real-time tactics series is being rebooted. This comes not long after Starbreeze Studios - which has been linked with the reboot for nearly two years [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86888-New-Syndicate-In-The-Works] - filed three notices [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99969-Syndicate-Remake-Gets-a-Triple-Confirmation] with the US Copyright Office also relating to Syndicate.

The trademark filings seem to relate to a game [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85097374],an online multi-player component [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85097381], and a handheld version [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85097377] of the game. It's not hard to imagine the Syndicate gameplay being enhanced with an online co-op mode, although speculating about a game that may not even exist seems a little redundant.

Just as with all the other rumblings of a Syndicate reboot, until there's some kind of official confirmation, this one gets filed in the "rumor" category. Copyright and trademark filings can sometimes be indicative of new games on the horizon, but they can also be a publisher or developer making sure that no one else can get them. The announcement of a new Syndicate game would be welcomed by many, but until that actually happens, it's probably best to adopt a position of cautious optimism.

Source: Superannuation [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/902423996/electronic-arts-has-filed-three-new-trademark]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
A real time tactics cyberpunk game?

Is this something I should care about?

Was it any good?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Syndicate was actually originally balanced and tested as multiplayer game for up to eight players but this was when very few who actually bought the game would have been able to play on that sort of network so that feature never shipped. People who worked at Bullfrog said that the multiplayer was a lot of fun. Having said that, I somehow doubt that this new game will have very much of the original gameplay.

Mar 30, 2010
Hell yeah! Bring back Syndicate, that game was excellent. Any new version would have some pretty big shoes to fill though - EA better not screw this up.

Feb 13, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Was it any good?
Short Answer: Yes.
Long Answer: It's an astonishingly deep isometric game in real time that shows X-Com Apocalypse what should have been done.

And the Flamethrowers/Persuadatron never get old.

MadCat55329

Nov 18, 2009
Given the shameful treatment X-COM seems to have received, my knee-jerk reaction to the prospect of a Syndicate reboot is not optimistic. I would love nothing more than to see another game like Syndicate (and for that matter a reasonable Wing Commander-alike) surface, but I don't really expect a game I want to play out of the current development environment.

Starbreeze has made several highly competent shooters in the past, and Escape from Butcher Bay in particular was masterful, but color me skeptical about this project having any meaningful connection to the classic.

It's unfair of course to go angry internet man over an unannounced project but the fact it's been in development hell already for so long seems telling.

Feb 13, 2008
SteelStallion said:
It was extremely underrated, and it puts X-Com to shame.
That's a difficult statement to make.
Syndicate was more involved but less complex.
X-Com was far more tactical. (No setting off Chest-Nukes and hammering Medkits)

The games were similar, but not really comparable. It'd be like comparing Mario to Sonic.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
But will you be able to make a hueg army by getting your persuadertron out and brainwashing everyone on the map, up to and including enemy agents?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
But will you be able to make a hueg army by getting your persuadertron out and brainwashing everyone on the map, up to and including enemy agents?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
A real time tactics cyberpunk game?

Is this something I should care about?

Was it any good?
Yeah, I have the old Playstation one, it was brilliant.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I like many here am kind of unsure of it being at all good, but if it is being handled by Starbreeze, I can hope it will be in someway quite interesting.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
i only played syndicate wars but i still say

"razorwire" in the ingame voice

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Kragg said:
i only played syndicate wars but i still say

"razorwire" in the ingame voice
I still repeat "uzi" in the ingame voice on a nonstop loop whenever I want to remind myself of the cyberpunk days. :p

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
This was awesome in Syndicate Wars, i remember the storyline was cool with the Zealots and all. Music was great as well, and in the UK all the in game Billboards had adverts for 2000AD and Judge Dredd on them

Great games made back when EA meant something and Bullfrog meant a lot lot more.

Memories... Like the corners of my mind and so on

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Let me guess, they are going to turn it into a derivative FPS game that has nothing to do with the original...