Ubisoft Toronto to Tackle Five Major Projects at Once

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ubisoft Toronto to Tackle Five Major Projects at Once

Ubisoft has big plans for its new Toronto based studio, including more than half a billion dollars in funding and hundreds of staff.

Assassin's Creed producer and managing director of Ubisoft's new Toronto office Jade Raymond says that the studio will focus on nothing but triple A titles, with plans to eventually work on five at once.

Ubisoft Toronto opened last year, and while Raymond doesn't want to get ahead of herself, she believed that it would naturally tempt developers to it. She said that Ubisoft Toronto had the same kind of appeal as a start-up, but that the risk was greatly reduced as it already had experienced staff and was fully backed by Ubisoft. Raymond said that the studio was already working on two major projects at the moment - one of which is a new Splinter Cell game - and would take on more as it grew.

Ubisoft plans to eventually pump half a billion Canadian dollars into the studio, with the Canadian government supplying an additional quarter of a billion dollars of funding over ten years as part of a deal between it and the publisher.

Raymond said that having multiple studios was vital for any developer these days as the way that games were being made was changing. "Games are growing into huge-scale triple-A projects," she said. "If you look at any big brand like GTA, the games are being done across multiple studios and multiple teams." She admitted, however, that a studio on the scale planned for Ubisoft Toronto was going to be a logistical challenge, saying that it would require careful management to make sure it all held together.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/35572/Ubisoft-Toronto-aiming-for-five-triple-A-projects]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow, talk about a kick start! Lets hope its not too much for them...but really taking advantage of the canadian tax breaks, huh?

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Ubisoft plans to eventually pump half a billion
Wow that's an impressive sounding...

Canadian dollars into the studio
...Nevermind
we're trading at 97.3%ish right now with the american dollar so while it may not be $500,000,000
its just about $486,500,000 so ummmmmmmm....... suck it :D
i should go down and see if i can't take at look at wherever this is. With that much money maybe they'll invest in a giant statue like blizzard has in their HQ :p

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
Five games at once...that doesn't sound too smart. I know that Ubisoft Toronto is a big big studio but if I were the head director or something like that I would bring down the workload down by two games. Pull your resources together to focus on making a few great games instead of spreading it out and making five decent ones.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
IT seems that the workers are going to get very pressurized already...

And I hope they make a good game.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Yet another step in Canada's plan to attempt to bring every major game studio up north into a country that has awesome hockey players and good beer...

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Hmm, maybe I can get a job there....Ugh, but then I'd have o travel cross country again. Dammit, Canada why are you so big?

jasondesante

Aug 9, 2010
"If you look at any big brand like GTA, the games are being done across multiple studios and multiple teams."

THATS FUCKING BULLSHIT

GTA has and always will be made by DMA, Rockstar North, aka THOSE GUYS IN SCOTLAND!!!