Metal Gear Solid Online Beta Delayed By Traffic Woes

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Metal Gear Solid Online Beta Delayed By Traffic Woes

The Metal Gear Solid Online beta has suffered a delay because of overwhelming server traffic.

"We would like to thank all players for their keen interest in taking part in the beta test. However, we regret to inform you that due to extraordinary levels of traffic from all around the globe, we have been unable to run the service to the level we expected," the developer, Konami, said in a statement released today.

The new starting date is "to be announced," possibly on April 22, and the beta will close on May 11 rather than May 6.

Some gamers are already irritated at the layered nature of the beta sign up, with PS3 owners having to sign up for a PSN ID and then a separate Konami ID, and then a game-specific ID.

Sony is betting on MGS 4 to draw new consumers to its console this summer and has announced a new console bundle and collectors' edition versions centered on its release.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/04/21/konamis-servers-smoked-metal-gear-sold-online-beta-delayed-in-us]

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Ouch, quite desperate for games then.

Public beta doesn't exist any more, they should rename it marketing tool and get on with it.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
[insert PS3 joke here]

Okay now seriously.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that because American/Europe players couldn't wait for their respective servers to be activated(Timezones?) and all zerged Japan?

freetogoodhome

Mar 2, 2008
JakubK666 said:
[insert PS3 joke here]

Okay now seriously.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that because American/Europe players couldn't wait for their respective servers to be activated(Timezones?) and all zerged Japan?
My friend skipped school so he could do that. I got a phone call at lunch that basically involved him swearing and me laughing at his idiocy

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
freetogoodhome said:
JakubK666 said:
[insert PS3 joke here]

Okay now seriously.
My friend skipped school so he could do that. I got a phone call at lunch that basically involved him swearing and me laughing at his idiocy
He deserved it for being a retard.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
wow.... MGS online digging at the bottom of the barrel now - old snake and now like 20 people in boxes on the same screen

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Nice to know that you've jumped to conclusions there.....

public beta testing on consoles is still new so this isn't exactly a suprise, Halo 3 had the same problem. Hell, Xbox Live couldn't even handle the new members over Christmas and Microsoft reckon they're the kings of online gaming, so I'm willing to give Konami a break, at least for a few days.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Well you need to give Konami a break none could have predicted the massave ammount of trafic that it would have got. Hopefully its all going well now though.