Playable Taliban Won't "Push Too Hard" in Medal of Honor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Playable Taliban Won't "Push Too Hard" in Medal of Honor

EA DICE admits that the ability to play as the Taliban in the upcoming Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Limited-Pc/dp/B002ZJPYHS/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281369389&sr=1-3] is potentially controversial but says it's not "pushing or provoking too hard" because in the end, it's only a game.

The DICE [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban] would include it as a playable faction in the multiplayer component of the new Medal of Honor.

"I think it is a fair point," producer Patrick Liu said when asked about concerns that gamers may not want to join a team known for executing aid workers and throwing acid in schoolgirls' faces. "We do stir up some feelings, although it's not about the war, it's about the soldiers."

"We can't get away from what the setting is and who the factions are, but in the end, it's a game, so we're not pushing or provoking too hard," he added.

The inclusion of a playable Taliban will inevitably add up to some seriously knotted panties in previously known as [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90759-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-Triggers-Outrage] EA Los Angeles - but if EA is going to set a videogame in an ongoing war then it should have the stones to commit to it fully. Waffling about it being "only a game" just looks ridiculous.

Source: Connected Consoles [http://www.connectedconsoles.com/ps3-dice-comments-on-medal-of-honors-taliban-controversy.cfm]

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Personally I like it, it's nice to get to play as the "bad guys".

And I was getting tired of only having the choice between typical West Vs. East factions.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
More importantly why would someone play a DICE game? Last thing the world needs would be more realism shooters

DICE is the bully that makes fun of its retarded cousin(Cod:MW)

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Sounds good. Not that I'd ever buy the game, but it certainly sounds like developers are becoming more mature. (As opposed to Infinity Ward screaming and jumping up and down, yelling, "Look at us! We're going to let you kill Russian civilians. Please, broadcast the controversy as quickly as you can!"

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
Sounds good. Not that I'd ever buy the game, but it certainly sounds like developers are becoming more mature. (As opposed to Infinity Ward screaming and jumping up and down, yelling, "Look at us! We're going to let you kill Russian civilians. Please, broadcast the controversy as quickly as you can!"
Last thing i would call DICE is more mature, I'm waiting for them to rip on MW2 again to promote MoH(not that it doesn't deserve it) but DICE/EA just pisses me off sometimes.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Randy11517 said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Last thing i would call DICE is more mature, I'm waiting for them to rip of MW2 again to promote MoH(not that it doesn't deserve it) but DICE/EA just pisses me off sometimes.
Oh boo-hoo, where do you think CoD came from in the first place?

OT: You're just shooting the other team whilst dressed as someone from the Middle East. It's a character skin on polygons. They're not including the tasks of setting up roadside bombs and capturing hostages to send video messages to the government.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
The "It's just a game" response is a bit of a cop-out.

That said, I'm not quite sure how they could have framed this decision to make it look good.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I can see Fox news going "Just as Planed". This is offensive, there 1000s of soldiers from Nato countries who are risking their lives on a daily bases fighting the Taliban and having bunch of screaming snot kids running around playing the Taliban is an insult to them.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Randy11517 said:
More importantly why would someone play a DICE game?
I liked battle field bad company....

But anyway OT, I can see were this is going to be controversal. I think it's going to be a lot like the Cod MW2 No Russian level controversy.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
Woodsey said:
Randy11517 said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Last thing i would call DICE is more mature, I'm waiting for them to rip of MW2 again to promote MoH(not that it doesn't deserve it) but DICE/EA just pisses me off sometimes.
Oh boo-hoo, where do you think CoD came from in the first place?

OT: You're just shooting the other team whilst dressed as someone from the Middle East. It's a character skin on polygons. They're not including the tasks of setting up roadside bombs and capturing hostages to send video messages to the government.
Just when I was getting my hopes up you had to go and ruin it didnt you.

Seriously if its just in multiplayer like it seems then its no different then modern except they used the name taliban instead of making something else up. What is actually the difference between playing as a team called the taliban or one that looks exactly the same as the taliban team but has a different name. Its kind of like all those games that take place in "iraq" but they just change the name even though everybody knows exactly what the place is supposed to be. Im actually impressed that they arnt bitching out like every other company does with this scenario.
Just found there next marketing strategy. "call every other similar game stupid, say its for pussies, come play the real game".
@woodsey, You realize i think MW2 sucks and DICE is full of retards right?

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
albino boo said:
I can see Fox news going "Just as Planed". This is offensive, there 1000s of soldiers from Nato countries who are risking their lives on a daily bases fighting the Taliban and having bunch of screaming snot kids running around playing the Taliban is an insult to them.
How so? People shouldn't be shielded from reality or history, you can't just have the American army fighting a made up middle eastern faction when the Taliban are real. It doesn't make much sense...

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
Of course americans have to be offended by everything. I don't know anyone around here who gets offended because you can shoot german soldiers in ww2 games.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Moriarty said:
Of course americans have to be offended by everything. I don't know anyone around here who gets offended because you can shoot german soldiers in ww2 games.
Actually i did, Apparently it was something you could get banned from a TF2 server for talking about(the actual discussion of "who could be offended by Nazis being shot")

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Ah jeez, if the reaction to the "No Russian" level was something to use a litmus test then we should get ready for the shit storm that will appear when this game comes out...

Might as well get ready to soccar mom's and Faux News getting ready to wig out and lie about it as well.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
After I watched The Hurt Locker I wanted a game where you could play as a Taliban.
I like this idea, I really do! I always wanted to play as the antagonist, thing that hardly ever happens!

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I think it's good that you can play as the Taliban. I also agree that Liu's "it's just a game" argument is weak.

If they are going to make a game about an ongoing war it is just silly if they are going to use the real name of one side, and make something up for the other.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Didn't Infinity Ward already try something like this in the "No Russian" mission in MW2?

Then again, that was just Russians (who are not bad people and have excellent vodka), and this is the Taliban (in my opinion, the worst thing on the face of the Earth, including the WBC).

I can't see this ending well.