No Demo For Fallout 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Demo For Fallout 3

Despite the hopes of the fans, Fallout 3 [http://www.bethsoft.com].

Pete Hines, Bethesda's Vice President of Public Relations and Marketing, told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=133899]it wouldn't be practical to segment one portion of the game to serve as a demo, nor would it properly reflect the overall experience of the game. "When you build it as one thing, there's no way to portion off a section and have it stand on its own without putting the whole game in the demo, which we're just not going to do," he said.

"And it doesn't really capture the fun of a game like an Elder Scrolls [http://www.elderscrolls.com/] or a Fallout, where you can go where you want and do what you want. So no demo, sorry."

Hines also revealed that along with Ron Perlman [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000553/], Bethesda is considering employing other high-profile actors for voice work in the game. "We pick out roles for people and who we'd like like for those roles, and we always thought Liam was the perfect Father Figure," Hines said. "We have one or two other roles which we have for which we have things in mind, but the bulk of it - and we have a lot of voice-acting in the game - is done by voice actors."

Fallout 3, the third RPG entry in the Fallout franchise, is currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com]. The game is scheduled for release in fall 2008.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I'm thinking that they want to avoid any founded negative criticism before the launch. I think Bethesda is chicken. ;-)

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Thus, need to make sure that we drop a full $60.00 American (your mileage [or, kilometreage, if you're into that sort of thing] may vary) before we realize the sucktastic notion of just painting a Sci-Fi theme over Oblivion's somewhat bland engine...

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
They're too lazy. They're not going to make the game without load times, so section off a part at a load zone. Or give a 2-hour trial.

Wazzelbe

Apr 16, 2008
But hey! Liam Neeson and Ron Perlman! Whoever they are!
Meh, I'm fine with no demo; that way I won't have to worry about seeing how bad Fallout's been screwed up for a while more. Yay!

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Liam Neeson and Ron Perlman! Whoever they are!

Something is wrong with The Escapist, what happened to our highly discerning users?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Wazzelbe said:
But hey! Liam Neeson and Ron Perlman! Whoever they are!
no sentence should have Liam Neeson's name in it followed by who is he!!!! But that aside, that is a shame theyre not making a demo for such a big game (for the geek community at least, I doubt joe public could care what Fallout is). Guess ill be relying on reviewers opinions about it :-(

Wazzelbe

Apr 16, 2008
Seriously. I don't know. I don't keep up with it. I've recognized familiar voices in later games, but what'd they do? Are they LIKED by gaming societies, or are they just famous?
I'm simply afraid they'll pull an Oblivion and say something similar to, "Look! Patrick Stewart! Isn't that amazing!?" I think somebody out there agrees.
One exception: Charles Adler. I've heard him enough times in games to finally look him up, but that's it. Should I really have such knowledge of voice actors? I mean, sure, good ones make a character in a game sound better, but... they don't SAVE game play or anything.
Morrowind seemed to do just fine without you having to listen to recycled dialogue.
The HL games, on the other hand, have characters that talk exclusively, and it's a game I hold in HIGH regard. I couldn't, however, even name ONE of the voice actors. Hell, I can't even name Master Chief's voice actor but he's all over the media. What does that make me?

HappyZealot

Dec 26, 2007
Good god, fuck the high profile actors and hire more "regular" actors. I hated how there were like hundreds of npc yet only 5-6 damn voices in Oblivion.

Karisse

Apr 16, 2008
I'm actually glad there won't be a demo coming out - few demos have ever made me want to buy a game. I don't even think Fallout 3 needs one; the title alone will lure in anyone who so much as knows about the series.

As for the voice acting, I think an earlier press release said they hired about 100 voice actors, specifically to avoid the bland voice-acting problems with Oblivion.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I can see why they've decided to go this way. This is Fallout: Those for whom that means something are going to buy it regardless, and the rest of the world will be swayed (or not) by reviews or word-of-mouth, which will presumably be awesome enough to bring in the masses. A demo for an established franchise, even one that has been heavily retooled as Fallout has, isn't really necessary.

But I am inclined to call bullshit on Hines' comments about being unable to section off a portion of the game, however, and it calls to mind a demo I played a lot of years ago for another free-form RPG set in a massive, open-ended world that also happened to be created by Bethesda - Daggerfall. The Daggerfall demo included just the first dungeon (Pirates Cove or something) and while it didn't reflect at all on the massive scope of the game, it showed off the character creation options, graphics, combat and exploration in a very cool dungeon, and it made a hell of an impression on me. I don't see why it would be so difficult or inappropriate to do something similar with Fallout 3; lop off the first distinct area of the game and put it out there. (And don't tell me there isn't one, because I won't believe you.)

And while I suppose it's possible there's someone out there who doesn't know who Liam Neeson is (presumably because that person lives under a rock), how anyone could be a reader of The Escapist, interested in the new Fallout title and yet not know who RON FUCKMOTHERING PERLMAN is, I cannot understand.

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
Im not interested in the new Fallout really...and I only know that guy from his role in Blade 2. Some people don't know 'famous' names, get over it. I looked up his name, he did a lot of voice acting for tv-series, but most of his work isn't the stuff that gets his name printed on the box or anything like that.

Wazzelbe

Apr 16, 2008
Karisse said:
I'm actually glad there won't be a demo coming out - few demos have ever made me want to buy a game. I don't even think Fallout 3 needs one; the title alone will lure in anyone who so much as knows about the series.

As for the voice acting, I think an earlier press release said they hired about 100 voice actors, specifically to avoid the bland voice-acting problems with Oblivion.
It needed to be stated twice. Thanks for summing up- and informing- my thoughts. That's great. You're great.
And it's quite comfortable here, under my rock.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Gildedtongue said:
Thus, need to make sure that we drop a full $60.00 American (your mileage [or, kilometreage, if you're into that sort of thing] may vary) before we realize the sucktastic notion of just painting a Sci-Fi theme over Oblivion's somewhat bland engine...
Or, you know, just rent the bloody thing. If you don't have a video rental store in your area though, then point taken.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
Metalix Knightmare said:
Or, you know, just rent the bloody thing. If you don't have a video rental store in your area though, then point taken.
PC?

Then again: See my first comment.

A 2 hour trial including the whole game would just be open season, I think pirated version would be out before you could sneeze.

Malygris - "This is Fallout: Those for whom that means something are going to buy it regardless"

Speak for yourself. Its Fallout made by Bethesda a company i have very little respect for. They made a very pretty but broken as hell game. Fallout 3 will be nothing more than a pretty zombie game with crap game mechanics.

If i'm wrong i will be very very very happy, however this way i have no expectations so if it proves good i will play it.

If you are buying a game "no matter what" based on a few screen shots and a name then frankly i think theres something wrong with your judgement.

Wazzelbe

Apr 16, 2008
Lightbulb said:
If you are buying a game "no matter what" based on a few screen shots and a name then frankly i think theres something wrong with your judgement.
Call me stupid. I typically try NOT to fall for this kind of stuff, but I think Malygris is right about the name's power. Many will buy it even if what Bethesda ends up parading before us is a sick perversion of what we once knew. A smaller world with gameplay restrictions didn't keep Oblivion from being hailed as a triumph and a good successor to Morrowind, now did it? I bought the game, fake Septim coin, map, and all. Fallout fans have been waiting an even LONGER time and had to watch the franchise get purchased by Bethesda. That might have shaken off a number of fans, but many more are probably curious to see what will become of Fallout's creative and quirky world.
Sorry I bashed Oblivion, but those are pretty much facts- I still own the game, with OBSE loader. Woe unto me?

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
Girlysprite said:
Im not interested in the new Fallout really...and I only know that guy from his role in Blade 2. Some people don't know 'famous' names, get over it. I looked up his name, he did a lot of voice acting for tv-series, but most of his work isn't the stuff that gets his name printed on the box or anything like that.
He's got quite a (cult) following for his work in City of Lost Children and Hellboy, and off course from the intros of the Fallout games.

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to the game. I loved Fallout and Morrowind, and quite liked Fallout 2, Oblivion and Fallout Tactics. Most likely I'll buy it on the release date.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
What annoys me is that all the Fallout fanboys have already pre-judged the game.

maybe if they had a sense of rational thought about them we wouldn't be having this discussion. i'm going to buy it. i think its going to add a lot of new things to the franchise.

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
Quistnix said:
He's got quite a (cult) following for his work in City of Lost Children and Hellboy, and off course from the intros of the Fallout games.
yeah there you said it; cult ;)

Now, c'mon people, there is still internet and game magazines. if you really are uncertain if the game is crap or not, find 5 reviews and read them. That often gives a pretty good idea if the game is worth buying or not.

Still, I agree that Bethesda should release a demo. If no part of a game is suitable, take one part and adjust it to give it a head and tail.