Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
You're Wrong

Russ Pitts tells us all why we're wrong to say, "You're wrong."

Read Full Article

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I never realized it before, but this is precisely why I love to proofread and edit. It's a accepted way for me to tell people that they're wrong and I'm right. I wield my red pen and encyclopedic knowledge of structure and grammar with pride and perhaps a bit of superiority.

When it comes to other things, I'm working on the whole "admitting I'm wrong" part.

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
You're wrong!

Only insofar as thinking it's a problem with gamers more than anyone else, anyway. Everyone likes to think they're right. Most people will stick to their guns at the cost of having their eyes opened. Just think of all the classic debates. Religion, politics, ethics; everyone has something they believe in emphatically.

Anyway. Looking forward to reading this week's articles. I like to learn.

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
One word: Schadenfreude.

As a species we are competitive, so in order to 'feel' superior to someone we need to first make them inferior (or at least in your own mind they are inferior).

By saying "You're wrong" it is by far the easiest method of self induced Schadenfreude.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
It's one of the biggest problems, people not accepting other's opinions, they can disagree with you and not be 'wrong', just of a different viewpoint.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I've long suspected that humans have an intrinsic need to tear other people down, perhaps because it seems easier to knock others down than to build oneself up?

Granted, I already know I have a pretty negative view on humanity, but it's the closest thing to a reasonable argument I can come up with.

Side note: Perhaps "argument", the word, is the whole problem. Philosophically, I think, it's supposed to mean more like a "debate", and imply that there are different viewpoints but the people that hold them still respect each other. I think we've lost that, and we turn "argument" into "proof of inferiority": a suggestion and often a direct challenge that "because you don't agree with me, you're not only wrong, you're worthy of my condemnation and my hate, and I'm entitled/obligated to hate you because of it".

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
You're right Mr. Pitts. Probably should have used the Superman Lex Luthor "WRONG" picture.

Still working on admitting my faults.

swimon

Jul 23, 2009
You're wrong! Socrates said almost that not Aristotle. Yeah that feels pretty nice I admit :D

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Wherever you go, whatever you do...
Honestly, when you said this, I was half-expecting you to start singing:

Anyway, as much as I hate to admit it, I do sometimes have trouble admitting that I am wrong about something, since I am highly opinionated. However, I personally rarely say "you're wrong". I generally perfer using "I am sorry, but that is not true" or "with all due respect, I disagree".

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
We like to discuss things, as human beings, and part of the discussion process usually involves disagreeing with someone's point of view. Even if you agree with them in general, you might feel that they're missing something that you consider important, though maybe they don't see it that way.

There are, of course, many ways to tell someone they're wrong, but simply disagreeing with someone isn't tearing them down or attacking them, but engaging their ideas and pitting them against your own. Many times we'll challenge what someone says, thinking they're wrong, and either they come around to our point of view, or they come around to ours, but in the process both people have learned something.

The crucial element in this is being able to conduct civil discourse with a give and take of ideas. I think there's this fear among some that even listening to a different point of view is threatening, and that's typically the sign of someone unable to fully defend their own opinions.

So, in this case, you're not wrong at all!

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
I'll post lengthy comments explaining exactly why I may differ in opinion from another person, but I try to reserve calling that person "wrong" for only misstating or misusing hard, proven facts. Being different from me doesn't make a person wrong.

Someone I may not care to ever meet in person, but not wrong. XD

Sabrestar said:
I've long suspected that humans have an intrinsic need to tear other people down, perhaps because it seems easier to knock others down than to build oneself up?

Granted, I already know I have a pretty negative view on humanity, but it's the closest thing to a reasonable argument I can come up with.

Side note: Perhaps "argument", the word, is the whole problem. Philosophically, I think, it's supposed to mean more like a "debate", and imply that there are different viewpoints but the people that hold them still respect each other. I think we've lost that, and we turn "argument" into "proof of inferiority": a suggestion and often a direct challenge that "because you don't agree with me, you're not only wrong, you're worthy of my condemnation and my hate, and I'm entitled/obligated to hate you because of it".
In my high school debate class we defined "an argument" as something which happens between two parties and "a debate" as something which happens between two parties under the moderation of an indifferent third party.

The "easier to tear down than build up" bit I dig. Entropy is natural.

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Editor's Note: You're Wrong

Russ Pitts tells us all why we're wrong to say, "You're wrong."

Read Full Article
Hey I wonder if what I got going on there was what inspired you...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.223840-Former-Teacher-Acquitted-of-Videogame-Massacre-Threat?page=6#7622948
Maybe not, but if we did inspire you, is there a badge for that ? (just kidding)

A big problem is that the Anglo-saxons totally ignore the art of Dialectics (look it up, everyone!), and think that it's all sterile disputes when it's (sometimes) for the advancement of knowledge and philosophy.
It's true, most people will say on the net will say "you're wrong" to a professional with years of experience on the topic ; but I never get into an argument about something I didn't think about for a long time while mercilessly questioning myself and my motives.

That said, it does feel great to say "you're wrong" and proceed to prove it, to someone who said "I dare you".